Any Hummer people here?

nugget

Observer
I did post some of these pics in another part of the Portal but it is probably more appropriate here. This si the drawer system I made for the rear of the H3. This pic was before the cooker was fitted.

draws4.jpg

This is it in action.

di7.jpg

I have a 55l wate tank with electric pump.

topshelf1.jpg

and the water is accessed on the side of the drwer unit with a swivel nozzle and a switch which onlypumps when depressed...to save water.

watertap1.jpg

watertap.jpg

Also have an electrical box which has the fuses, socket outlets and 500W inverter.

electric1.jpg

The diffs etc are standard...has a factory fitted rear diff lock and factory crawler gear in low range. Is very, very good downhill. The suspension is a 4" rancho with supplementary extended rear shackles.

Turbo has increased the torque significantly and replaced some of the mumbo lost when I fitted the 35" tyres.

You can also see the dual battery I fitted to run the engel, camping lights and inverter.

dualbattery1-1.jpg

Guinness44

Adventurer
Great truck, and I want drawers like that. You made them, now I am inspired.
How do they hold up on the trail.

Those offhighway pictures are awesome, too bad that place is a little far...and the steering on the wrong side.

nugget

Observer
They have held up extremely well and I dont think I will have any trouble anywhere I go. I erred on the side of strength and they could probably be a bit lighter but they will not break!

I think the main area where people have trouble is the drawers particularly if made from wood. I have mine folder from sheet metal so there are no joints to vibrate loose.

There is a complete build on the hummerX forum if you want more info.

mtrmble

I own a hummer H1 (the real hummer) :hehe: 1996 6.5 turboliter diesel
I know alot of owners who take their h1s off road but usually stick to the hummer sites. humvee.net is a big one for instance. I just stumbled upon this site on accident but looks great.

mtrmble

Agreed, I spent most of the evening at work surfing the site. I just sold my frontier but after seeing some of these rigs on here it's making me regret it!

Thanks for the welcome

BTW: nugget I forgot to say, thats a beautiful h3

Last edited:

LRNAD90

Adventurer
nugget said:
Hi, I am new to the Portal, but there seems to be a distinct lack of Hummer people here..feeling a bit lonely!!!!:smiley_drive:
Go spend some time Over Here. There are alot of H2 and H3 owners that go off-road, some pretty serious. It's not uncommon to see H3's on 35" Toyo M/T's (hey they fit nearly stock, with minimal rubbing) over here, running the infamous trails, exploding the infamously weak front differentials (now if only GM would put the iron housing of the alpha in the front end, add a locker and nice turbo diesel with a manual gearbox it would be a hell of a package I'd seriously consider)...

rickc

Adventurer
I have a 98 Hummer wagon with all the goodies except runflats/beadlocks. I'm still working on my lightbar and I'm trying to work out if I should get an HD offroad trailer or simply put a tent up top. For now it's a camping kayaking base (2 very small kids) but in the future I do plan to learn how to really use the thing.

rickc

Adventurer
My truck has 16.5" one-piece alloy Cepeks. I can run down safely to 15psi without losing the bead due to an exaggerated bead ring inside the wheel rim. The Hutchinson two piece with beadlocks and runflats are great until you have to repair one. It is rather specialized and most tire shops will not do it. I chose to keep a spare. One day, if I get more agressive, I'll get a second spare, probably a 17" - easier to get tires for in a hurry.

I'm close to buying a Conqueror Conquest trailer and trying to work out if it is possible to fit my big wheels on one. If so, this would be even better; I'd get two or three more wheels matching mine.

Guinness44

Adventurer
x2, to change to 17 inch Cepek 17 inch rims, plus BFG, will make the truck ride so much better, you wont believe it (ours came with the same as yours, when we switched to 17 there is no comparison.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle