Any other Kia owners on here?

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I've thought that in the future I might get a Grand Vitara, but I'd love to entertain something a little different.

** OFF/TOPIC **

I used to have a Grand Vitara and that little truck would pretty much go where you pointed it. I left it stock (it was the wifes at the time) and it was a fun little truck to wheel.

** ON/TOPIC **

I always liked the Sorento. It might be one to consider. It looks good lifted. Does someone make front bumpers for them?

NewFoundFreedom

Adventurer
So far only front end protection style stuff like the WAAG.

15967-Sorento-pro.jpg

Rocky Road Outfitters makes the side skids in two styles and are open to making a lift.

Old Man Emu and Daystar both have lifts as of now. When the "Market" comes back and I have some extra income I would like to get some skids done but before that I need the drawers for the back.

SRN

Adventurer
Yes it has a two speed case four hi and four low! The drap from the tent sucks but worth it. I am not sure on the axle. I wish I did. No factory locker option. I wish it did but I am not in the spots I would need one...yet. lol.

I used to spend a bit of time on Rocky Mountian but it is a little to "rock crawler" for me. I really love this site. I love the trip and camping factor it has. That is what I am more in tune with.

Expedition Utah I checked it out a while back and liked it just forgot my pass word.

I am in Sandy just east of the Automall. We should do a run when the weather gets a little better.

Just e-mail the admin, they'll get you hooked back up with your password!
We definitely should. My big limiting factor on trips right now is my lack of employment. Once it warms up though, I hope to have a job too! :)

** OFF/TOPIC **

I used to have a Grand Vitara and that little truck would pretty much go where you pointed it. I left it stock (it was the wifes at the time) and it was a fun little truck to wheel.

Good to hear. I've always been impressed with Suzuki's true SUV options. The new GV and XL7 have left that market, but the older stuff has always done well.

NewFoundFreedom

Adventurer
As for other front end bumpers I forgot I have seen them while doing a little Googling...

Dont know who makes it though and it seems really overkill not to mention departure angles...

gallery_6243_1050_92.jpg

Rot Box

Explorer
Kia?!..... Cool! :Wow1: :elkgrin:

Although most of today's midsized suv's are going away from it, but having a low range is icing on the cake. Keep us posted with any upgrades you do.

haven

Expedition Leader
Bad news:
The 2010 Sorento has switched from body on frame to unibody
construction. The ground clearance is less, and the two speed
transfer case is no longer offered. So shop for an earlier model
if you want to do some light off-roading.

Good news:
If you're looking for a capable truck-like SUV, consider the
Kia Borrego. It's about the size of a Ford Explorer. I think of it
as a modern day Toyota 62. (Let the flaming replies begin!)

delmartin

Observer
You're right, the 2010 Sorento is a unibody vehicle, but is capable of more than just light off roading.

Kia has followed the Toyota Highlander concept for mass market appeal. Currrent Sorento owners complained that the ride was too harsh. The new 2010 Sorento is a more civil CUV as apposed to a traditional SUV. The ride quality will appeal to more, the fuel economy increases and the interior room is more usable than before. As with the Highlander, the majority of Sorento owners rarely, if ever, venture off the road.

I think the Borrego is so overlooked. Probably because the debut took place when gas prices were high and most people were in a frenzy to off-load their SUV's for hybrids. It's a traditional body on frame truck with superb V6 and V8 engine options. Too bad there isn't alot of aftermarket product available.

It would be cool if Kia offered a pickup off the Borrego platform.

-Martin

buddha

Adventurer
We have a 2004 Sorento that is acting as my wife's primary car these days. Only thing is... she hates it. It's due for a lot of maintenance, which may be why she hates it... @115k miles, it needs:

- timing belt (still on the original)
- accessory belts
- plugs/wires
- shocks (getting bouncy)
- rotors + pads up front (warped beyond belief)
- new tires (getting close to the wear bars)
- some work around the front, passenger side of the winshield where it tends to leak water on rainy days (stock windshield, so sealant must be worn away)
- A good cleaning inside (see "leak" above)
- a new stereo w/ aux for the ipod.

Or...

Trade it for something new. She likes the JK Unlimiteds, and I like the new 4runner Trail. But, for the cost of a few monthly car payments, the kia could be good as new.

Honestly, the Kia's been a great vehicle. Haven't really had any trouble with it. I'd like to fix it, lift it, and put some bigger tires on it, and keep on driving it. But... it's her car. And I think she really wants something new.

Speaking of lift... What size tires does the Daystar 2" kit allow you to use? Is the Daystar easy to install? I just put a 2.5" leveling kit on my F150 and it was pretty easy (no spring compressor needed, for instance). Since I may be buying tires anyway real soon.....

corax

Explorer
Sweet, a Sorento! Always wondered if anybody wheeled those!

Are the axles/xfer case Hyundai/Kia-proprietary, or are they Aisin parts? IF they're Aisin, you should be able to use some Nissan/Mitsu stuff. They have a factory locker option?

Just saw this thread :D

The engine is a Mistubishi design - IIRC the trans is Aisin, the transfer case Borg Warner and the rear axle is an Eaton

Oh yeah, for the first few years of production you could get an LSD (most had it, not advertised). 1st year production the LSD clutch packs had spring pack preload on them, but people complained about binding in tight turns so the spring pack was deleted but the LSD remained. Once traction/stability control became standard, the LSD left the rear axle completely.

buddha

Adventurer
Or...

Trade it for something new. She likes the JK Unlimiteds, and I like the new 4runner Trail.

Well, I'm a Sorento owner no longer. Traded it for a 2008 JK Rubicon Unlimited this weekend.

Have to say I will miss it. It was a solid vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12