Anyone else get bored and just paint their jeep?

LakeErieYJ

Adventurer
I did, lol. So long red and black scheme. Hello clean slate!

PF1.jpg

PF2.jpg

DF1.jpg

DR1.jpg

Hood1.jpg

Hood2.jpg

It still needs some finishing touches, but for 2 days worth of work and about $100, i dont think it came out bad.

Whatcha think?

-Nick-

ExpoMike

Looks good!

So, you going to share the what's and how's of what you did? I have a '68 C10 truck that I am going to need to paint soon and am always looking for inexpensive, easy and good looking ways of doing it.

Love to see some before shots too.

LakeErieYJ

Adventurer
Before:
DSCI0026.jpg

And that whole thing was done with Valspar Tractor and Implement Paint and some 4" foam rollers.

LOL

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
That looks good Nick! Now I'm gonna have to be on the lookout for a white YJ instead of a red one next time I'm cruising through Erie.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
What kind of paint did you use? Single part, two part (base/clear), rattle can . . . ?

The last painting I did on my TJ cost me more than $100 for materials to cover the steel corners and roof rack / light / antenna mounts (1/2 pint of bright silver metallic, reducer, clear, primer, catalyst, tape, masking paper, sand paper, dessicant dryer for the air line, blah blah blah . . . )

LakeErieYJ

Adventurer
I work at Tractor Supply, all of the materials came from there.

Keep in mind this was completely done using some 4" Foam rollers, and a few foam paint brushes.

The paint is Valspar Tractor and Implement Enamel. Used the Valspar oil-based sandable gray primer though. Thinned with some mineral spirits and rolled it on.
The Satin black was rattle canned, the silver/grey was rattle canned as well.
I did the flames by hand, masking tape, drew then with a pencil and hand cut them with a razor knife.

We sanded the entire body using just 220 grit sand paper, then wiped it clean with alcohol. Thats all the prep that was done.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
looks good...

looks good... but you need a hobby if this is what happens when you are bored.

I painted my FJ40 once with that paint. I think you want some kind of sealer, mine faded bad in just a year or so... but maybe white will not look as bad as the blue I used.

LakeErieYJ

Adventurer
hhahaha, I do have other hobbies, i've been itching to ride lately, but my work schedule sucks so bad, I can never find anyone else to go hit the trails with.

I hate riding alone, I tend to get a little silly and don't want to wreck.

Well, my XJ was a champaigne burgundy color when I bought it. Needless to say, the factory paint-job had to go.

When I bought it:
DSCF3815.jpg

DSCF3825.jpg

DSCF3827.jpg

In the lab:
DSCF4584.jpg

DSCF4585.jpg

Final product:
DSCF4614.jpg

DSCF4616.jpg

DSCF4611.jpg

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I work at Tractor Supply, all of the materials came from there.

Keep in mind this was completely done using some 4" Foam rollers, and a few foam paint brushes.

Not bad for the method used.:sombrero:

Have you had experience with that paint with regards to oxidation and fading? How well does it hold up against rock chips, etc?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger