Anyone else get bored and just paint their jeep?

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
Well the title of this thread was "Anyone else get bored and just paint there jeep?" so I assumed it was a "show your paintjob" starter. Maybe not?

I think you are right on. Nothing wrong with your post.

I'm interested in the OP's method and curious to know how it will hold up long term. Still looks like there is a lot of work to do on the clean-up that could have been avoided by a little extra prep work.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Hey Brian, I dig the camo job.

....that chrome surround on the windshield, though. It's very "cute".

jim65wagon

I did, lol. So long red and black scheme. Hello clean slate!
Hood2.jpg

It still needs some finishing touches, but for 2 days worth of work and about $100, i dont think it came out bad.

Whatcha think?

-Nick-

Diggin' the flames!

Lumberjack

Adventurer
Yep, went from this...

Moab385.jpg

to this...

Jeep014-1.jpg

Less than $100 not counting the masking paper, used alot since we shot the inside too.

Used O'Reillys fast dry acrylic, sand down w/ DA 220 grit and a friend shot it on.

Dennis

Edit: Love the hood blackout, I am still pondering :coffee:

Last edited:

LakeErieYJ

Adventurer
Yeah, the hood blackout was definatly a good call.

The door 2-tone is growing on me, im thinking of doing a similar flame like design where the white and black meet on the doors, since my lines are crooked and crappy where the 2 colors meet.

Jeff H

Adventurer
It's nice to see another person from Erie on the boards.. I'm digging the flames on the hood as well. Breaks up the solid white nicely!

LakeErieYJ

Adventurer
WHOA! Whered you come from? hahaha. Why werent you around when we did our bald eagle runs, coulda followed me down!

sirtuxlin

Looks good!

So, you going to share the what's and how's of what you did? I have a '68 C10 truck that I am going to need to paint soon and am always looking for inexpensive, easy and good looking ways of doing it.

Love to see some before shots too.

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Looks good in EXPO White! I like it better than the red honestly. Congrats on the outcome.

I painted my XJ out of necessity, not boredom. It was a butt ugly trail rig when i decided to rebuild it for more of an Overland rig. Lots of prep work before i finally shot some color but it's been holding out fantastic and i couldnt be happier. Have pride in knowing i did it myself and learned a few things along the way.

Again, Congrats!

RunninRubicon

Adventurer
Repainted from boredom

I repainted my ol' YJ as well. I repainted the white with white and added Zebra stripes. Changed my License plate to "Zeebra."
Then painted my TJ with stripes.

I think you are right on. Nothing wrong with your post.

I'm interested in the OP's method and curious to know how it will hold up long term. Still looks like there is a lot of work to do on the clean-up that could have been avoided by a little extra prep work.

It has been painted camo for about 2 years and so far it has held up really well. It does look kind of crude and unfinished in the pics i posted, but it actually looks pretty decent up close. It is primarily a weekend warrior/wheeling rig, so the body has a little damage and I didn't want to dump a bunch of money into it to clear coat it too (especially since that would defeat the purpose with that paint scheme!). I can tell you the best part about it is my touch up paint consists of 3 rattle cans and is a piece of cake to fix though! :jump:

When I painted it, I taped off EVERYTHING, so the prep work was pretty extensive. The only thing I didn't do was tape off each blotch, because I wanted the colors to blend in to eachother.

LakeErieYJ

Adventurer
The prep work was very minimal. Everything got sanded with 220, then roll on primer was applied, Valspar Gray Sandable to be axact. Then another scuff with 220 grit, then the first coat of white, applied a little thick, second coat, thinned it to a milk like consistancy and rolled.

As far as the messy prep-work, the windshield seals were garbage, getting replaced anyway, so i didnt care if they got painted a bit. Everything else was miticulously masked off.

xr8dxj

Adventurer
0610091647.jpg

Very CARC~esque and very cool.
I blackout out my hood with a rattle can after a buddy told me how much he paid for his Disco's hood decal.
ballbeater.gif

xj-845.jpg

proto

Adventurer
. . . second coat, thinned it to a milk like consistancy and rolled. . .

This is the TSC Valspar Implement paint? I've got some I was planning on using on axles and suspension parts. Did you use the hardener? I'd like to wind up with something simple to apply but tough. I'm wondering if the hardener makes enough of a difference to bother.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman