Apple Tablet: iPad

dzzz

Should work fine on any device. But $25 seems to be 4G only. Few places have clear/sprint 4G.
For people in a 4G area the more interesting part of the story may be $25 somewhat high speed internet. Apparently Clear has more bandwidth than users.

egn

Adventurer
The last 4 weeks I used a iPad 3g together with a ProClip mount with pass-through connector during my tour through the Baltic States.

The mount is easy to use and very stable. I was driving very bad dirt roads very fast :smiley_drive: . The iPad can be snapped in and out easily. The pass-through connector avoided any fiddling with the cable.

The iPad itself worked flawless. I used it for street navigation. Here in Europe the maps contain even the smallest track. The ipad gets a fix very fast, even in the full metal driver cabin and without 3g. And the navigation itself is also very fast. The route calculation through half of Europe takes only a few seconds. I didn't try map navigation yet, but the large screen and the touch interface will certainly help.

I took the iPad because I can take it with me. A fixed installation in the driver cabin is always on risk being stolen. I have only low tech in the driver cabin to avoid any attraction for thieves. We only used the iPad as computer the whole vacation, except for saving the images of the camera.

So for us it was the ideal device and we can really recommend it for this type of use. YMMV

dzzz

Egn, Do you find the iPad sunlight readable? Were you always connected through the cell modem during your trip?

egn

Adventurer
In bright direct sunlight it isn't readable. But I have installed it so that no direct sunlight can hit the screen. In this setup the readability was ok.

Because of the high roaming cost I disabled mobile internet outside of germany. So GPS was used without any mobile connection.

haven

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the report, Egn. What navigation software did you use?

Even though an external GPS receiver provides more precise positioning, I find that my iPad 3G GPS is accurate to within a couple of car lengths. That accuracy is not ideal for geocache searching (!), but it's fine for in-vehicle navigation.

haven

Expedition Leader

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Good to know Chip.

Well, we are heading out Friday with our first trip with ours and im excited to use it. What im not excited about is the 3G data package. Just for the fact that its going to be eaten up so fast. Just streaming video while on the highway is going to gobble up our data in a heart beat and that's one of the reasons why we bought it. Yosh wants to stream ABC7 app player. Also the charging issue is rather lame. Our USB port in our truck won't charge the pad. That means we'll have to use an inverter if need be. I don't like that either.

But for checking email and staying connected to work, it should work great. Also, i can wait to use the star finder program and google earth while out in the field.

Couple apps that we installed for the trip , were the topo2go, yellow pages, google earth and techron2go (find our Chevron gas stations on the fly).

I'd like to eventually off load photos from our DSLR to the iPad while "in trip" but that will have to wait since the camera cable is expensive and running a micro sd card adapter in our camera will slow it down.

Anyways, cool product but don't know if it's $700 dollars cool. After this trip, we'll evaluate it and see if we'll return it.

egn

Adventurer
Thanks for the report, Egn. What navigation software did you use?

I used the iGo App, which has a fairly good coverage in Europe.

For charging I use a high power cigaret lighter adapter with about 2 A.

For me the iPad is worth the money because of the multiple use on trps and at home. Beside being used for navigation it is also used for web access, email, e-book reader, game console. Because it is liked so much by the rest of the family, I probably have to buy another one. :)

Last edited:

Dust999

Observer
Before the JB I was getting about 5 to 10 meters of precision now I can easily get 0.8 meters 80% of the time.

The unit I chose is the US Global Sat BT-359 as it is WAAS anabled and provides 10hrs of use on one charge.

Pat

Pat,

Did you look at the Global Sat BT 368i as an option as well? I am currently considering the same route that you and others have taken with my iPad.

egn

Adventurer
Sanyo has announced a rechargeable power source that can provide enough juice to power the iPad. The new Sanyo Eneloop model KBC-L2BS provides 1 Amp of 5 Volt DC current via a USB port. The KBC-L2BS can power the iPad for about 2 hours.

The KBC-L2BS measures about 2 x 3 inches, weight unknown. No word yet on price, or when this model will be available.

http://sanyo.com/news/2010/08/31-1.html
http://www.fareastgizmos.com/mobile...s_for_ipad_iphone_and_other_mobile_phones.php

The output of this devices is to low for the iPad. For the iPad the output should be at least 2 A.

Since a few years I use this power pack for all kind of devices. For the Ipad I made my one female cigarette lighter adapter cable and plug in a 2 A adapter. This charges the Ipad a few times very fast.

Here you find another backup battery.

But anyway, the iPad has a fairly long battery usage, at least if the screen light isn't turned to the maximum.

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
The adapter that Apple sells to recharge the iPad from mains power provides 2 amps at 5 volts = 10 watts of power. The Sanyo product provides 1 amp at 5 volts = 5 watts of power. Apple says the iPad can recharge from certain MacBook models that provide 1 amp at 5 volts via the USB port. I can recharge my iPad from my MacBook via USB. So I think the Sanyo product, which was designed for the iPad, will work. There's no doubt that a circuit that provides 10 watts will recharge the iPad more quickly.

haven

Expedition Leader
Apple announced today that an iOS upgrade for the iPad is coming (at last). It will be called iOS 4.2, and will be distributed for free in November.

Among the features will be printing via WiFi. Exactly how the printing will work was not explained, but the printer has to be part of a network (or maybe attached to a Mac that is on a network). This addresses a big limitation of the iPad as a productivity tool. There are printing solutions for the iPad today, but they are not well integrated into the iPad experience. (HP has one, for example, that prints to HP's network-attached printers via email.)

The new iOS 4.2 for iPad will also have folders and expanded multitasking, just like today's iOS 4.02 on the iPhone. The upgrade will include the capability to stream audio and video, including some pay-per-view TV shows and movies. iOS 4.2 will also include participation in Apple's Game Center server farm for multi-player real time gaming.

ps. There was no announcement of a smaller iPad this time. So the 7 inch Android devices will have the market to themselves until after the holiday season.

dzzz

The new iPod touch runs iOS and would seem to be an smaller iPad without the cellular data option.
I didn't compare it feature by feature. Looks pretty much like an iPhone without the phone.

haven

Expedition Leader
I agree, Don. The new iPod Touch looks very attractive.

The iPod Touch does lack a GPS receiver. So it's not as accurate for navigation purposes, and the navi function only works when known WiFi networks are within range. Basically, it's navi for urban settings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger