ARB Deflator Woe

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
....been using my ARB deflator for a while (probably a year, just long enough for the warranty to expire LOL)... and 2 trips ago, the piston rod that you slide out to remove the valve stem came all the way out!!! My valve stem almost shot across the trail. I was super lucky and noticed it going to far and quickly shoved it back in.

Anyone elses done this? Should i take it to Currie to fix? :hehe: (they're down the street)

Maybe i'll go back to the good old days of using Oasis, or Stauns or a little pebble.

Last edited:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I think we should all switch to little pebbles.

Never had a problem with my ARB deflator, but it sounds like a good thing to watch out for.

Pad

Adventurer
As a rule of thumb, I never trust those to shut off. Ask how I know.
I dont have the ARB type however but would think removing the valve or loosening it while on the trail might be an opportunity for mishap.
I do carry extra valve stems and housings though just in case.

Willman

I've had mine for for a while too.....Never had a problem with mine. I'm sure ARB would replace it....It would be worth a call.

:)

JJackson

Explorer
I seen one of the ARB/Currie deflators for the first time and want to purchase one. As for the valve core, I have not lost one yet and I use a valve core screw driver, though I also cary about 5 or 6 extra valve cores. Never have carried a valve stem though.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Call the retailer you purchased it from. What has happened is a clip is missing from the valve remover rod, either it was never there or it was able to pop off. It could be repaired with a bit of work and sourcing the small clip, otherwise the gents up at ARB's tech department are well versed in the issue and will gladly get you taken care of. Seems there was a batch of them that showed up from their supplier (EZ Deflator) that didn't have the clips installed, affecting under 1% of the total units out there, seems like yours is one. On that note all the new units are good to go. :D

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Ho thinks it possibly needs to go back to ARB.... here's a shot of the deflator... the inner rod came out entirely.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Seems to me, it never had a clip... i really don't know. All i know is after like 10 trips, i pulled the rod out to remove the stem and it came all the way out!.. it scared me and i shoved it back in... this trip i didn't have any spare stems.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Ho thinks it possibly needs to go back to ARB.... here's a shot of the deflator... the inner rod came out entirely...

No possibly, definitely... your missing the clip I detailed earlier. ARB is more than happy to warranty them, this was a known issue on a very limited number of units, yours apparently was one of them. :sombrero:

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
I have used mine several times with no problem but after seeing this, maybe I should go check mine out to be sure I have the clip. :Wow1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior