ARB front bumper is ready for US market

08whitex

Adventurer
I have to say that I have always been a fan of the ARB bumper. I think it is one of the best looking bumpers on the market. With that said I dont think this one looks right. From the photos it looks like they bolted a bumper designed for a different vehicle over the factory bumper. If the bumper was 2 inches higher it would totally change the look and I would order one in a heartbeat.

Just my opinion.

sami

Explorer
I have to say that I have always been a fan of the ARB bumper. I think it is one of the best looking bumpers on the market. With that said I dont think this one looks right. From the photos it looks like they bolted a bumper designed for a different vehicle over the factory bumper. If the bumper was 2 inches higher it would totally change the look and I would order one in a heartbeat.

Just my opinion.

Some explanation from an ARB Engineer(forwarded by Jim Jackson):

Here is the response from our bar engineer:

The reason we bumper cut is to allow us to place the bar at the optimum level on the vehicle to give best practical approach angle, allow our SRS airbag compatible mount system to function correctly and to look the best. It is in fact easier with less design time required to fit the Xterra bumper hard up against the fender under side as other manufacturers have done. The bar though does not look right when at this height, it has very sharp narrow wing tips and looks proportionally wrong for the vehicle styling. We feel that our bar at the height placement that has been struck gives the best all round result, whilst we do understand the vehicle owners reluctance to cut bumpers it is not really so bad once you have done your first one. If following the instructions and templates provided, it is an easy process.
If ARB provided a precut bumper section or molded in fills, the customer would have to pay more for the bull bar when the bumper cut is a reasonable and cost effective way of accomplishing the same thing.
The 08 ON Xterra has a face lift and grille change but may actually still take the earlier model bull bar #3438270, we are to do a trial fit within the next month, if this is successful then the earlier bar will cover both 05-07 and 08 ON models - otherwise a new bar will not take long as we expect the pan profile to be the only change once we have the data.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have other questions.

Jim Jackson
President
ARB-USA

What I get from this, is that ARB builds looks around function/safety. That, is why they will get my business.

xEDGEx

Here are a few more updates from Marc @ ARB:

Regarding the cutting of the bumper, James (Australian tech) and I spoke at length about this and there are a number of reasons for going this route including but not limited to:

1. Appearance-essentially the shapes used at the upper section of the bumper are very complex. It may be possible to build out of steel, but it would add substantial cost without significant benefit. Further relating to this we could move the bumper up further on the chassis, but this would create a very narrow "wing" (the outer sections of the bumper) and would look poor proportionally.

2. Strength, moving the bumper up further would alter the loads on the brackets and compromise the airbag compatible aspects of the crush zones accordingly by moving the bulk of the bumper above the chassis rails.

3. Diminishing returns- Essentially, the bar is designed to offer exceptional front end protection, a good winching platform, and airbag compatibility while enhancing the appearance of the truck. We're pleased with the look of the finished product and don't believe that altering the height/shape to eliminate cutting the bumper makes sense as it would compromise the entire structure without really improving the outcome on a functional level.

Packed weight of bar is about 150 lbs, deduct the weight of the bits that are taken off the vehicle when fitting, the crash bar, crossmember and lower bumper so subtract about 15-20lbs. So weight difference when bare bull bar fitted to vehicle is about 130-135lbs.

The opening for RFL is standard and there are aluminum hawsers that support synthetic rope and suit this opening with hole offset. Delrin rollers may be the optimal choice due to the winch inset of the bar.

The approach angle is 38degrees and will be similar to the stock bumper with your tires (33”KM2), though the bullbar gives substancially greater clearance underneath as the lower front edge of the OE bumper sits much lower.

There will be a template for cutting the stock bumper and the process will be quite easy.

The stone tray from bull bar to OE sump guard is 2mm and has formed holes to give greater strength and allow air flow.

Radiator skid plates have been talked about, but nothing is really in the works at this point.

As for winch options. That bar will accept M8000, M9000, and 9.5XP Warn low mount winches. Other brand winches may also work, but we don't test fit them. ARB bars are built around Warn winches

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior