Are there no side by sides discussed here?

nickw

Adventurer
Except down the road to the DMV.
LOL - how about a Honda Accord if going to the DMV is your determining factor?

Depending on where you live you can drive a sxs anyplace you can drive a vehicle outside of the Interstate....but maybe that too.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris

Depending on where you live you can drive a sxs anyplace you can drive a vehicle outside of the Interstate....but maybe that too.

Short of small rural farming communities, most recreational towns/cities in Colorado and Utah have outlawed them. And, there is no provision for them on federal interstates/highways or state highways.

GHI

Adventurer
West Virginia, Kentucky and lots of Tennessee have you covered if you want to rip roar it up in the mountains. I'm a big fan of the atv, sxs and dirt bikes. So much fun.

nickw

Adventurer
Short of small rural farming communities, most recreational towns/cities in Colorado and Utah have outlawed them. And, there is no provision for them on federal interstates/highways or state highways.
Lots of folks live in small communities and there are several states that let you do your thing, @GHI pointed out some and I know here in the west Idaho and Nevada also allow it. I think the only change to Utah's rules is they need to be "registered" vs being a free for all.

But, if you are going to be using towing one to someplace you'll be more likely to a) be someplace small and rural and b) be mostly offroad.....so not sure how driving to the DMV is your criteria for success.....

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Know that they are being actively banned from many areas, see: Moab. The places you can go are shrinking for all of the reasons above. I hate them. Too loud and too many little kids at the helm for how capable they are. And they DESTROY trails, rub them to the bone and make travel miserable for any other mode of transport. Doesn't mean people shouldn't be able to use them, but I'm generally for most of the bans and even more for the major 4x4 groups to distance themselves from them. Bad bandwagon to hitch yourself to if you're a Jeeper.
It's too little, too late. Can't blame SxS completely, plenty of jack asses in 4WD, on dirt bikes, MTBs and foot even before the proliferation of them. Think it's fair to say the damage and conflict increased significantly in the past 10 years or so, though, and they are a major part of it. But can't put the genie back in the bottle now and the pendulum swung to little practical leverage to prevent closures as a result. And honestly, even as a 4WD/MTB/dirtbike/hiker I hate the f'n things zooming around, loud exhaust, loud music, flashy disco lights, open containers. It doesn't help to divide users but for every responsible SxS users there seems to be 5 bad ones. Maybe tourists, maybe not, I dunno. But the ratios are reversed from most user groups IMO. Most of us for decades have worked hard to self police. But I also see plenty of MTB'ers not yielding, shortcutting, skidding. So it's probaby more a sign of the times.

Last edited:

I suspect most people aren’t willing to live in those places.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
When I was at the motorcycle show a couple weeks ago one of the dealers had this model there:

View attachment 819505

I just about popped a log when I saw the price. That'll buy a brand new base model JL Rubicon or Big Bend Bronco with Sasquatch.....

View attachment 819506
View attachment 819507

I mean to each they're own but I know what I'd spend my money on.
Yep
Its easy to guess many of the SxS people are running on credit with $100k trucks pulling 100k toy haulers and 45k sxs with another 100k in bolt on mods. The huge trend definitely was driven by cheap money.

Inflation numbers up again per today’s report. Rates need to be held in the 5-6 range probably for another yr of two to bleed off all the free $ still getting passed around like its free candy at a 6th grade Valentine party

calicamper

Expedition Leader
It's too little, too late. Can't blame SxS completely, plenty of jack asses in 4WD, on dirt bikes, MTBs and foot even before the proliferation of them. Think it's fair to say the damage and conflict increased significantly in the past 10 years or so, though, and they are a major part of it. But can't put the genie back in the bottle now and the pendulum swung to little practical leverage to prevent closures as a result. And honestly, even as a 4WD/MTB/dirtbike/hiker I hate the f'n things zooming around, loud exhaust, loud music, flashy disco lights, open containers. It doesn't help to divide users but for every responsible SxS users there seems to be 5 bad ones. Maybe tourists, maybe not, I dunno. But the ratios are reversed from most user groups IMO. Most of us for decades have worked hard to self police. But I also see plenty of MTB'ers not yielding, shortcutting, skidding. So it's probaby more a sign of the times.
More like 10 to 1. If it runs its course like the PWC thing we probably have another 5-6 yrs before regulation, enforcement and insurance temper the free for all behavior. Same sort of thing happened with the pwc. Went from the jet ski which took some learning and physical ability to 6yr olds riding a 600lb 80mph floating lazy boy chair.

nickw

Adventurer
I suspect most people aren’t willing to live in those places.
Have you been to any of them? I can't speak for all of them but I've recreated in Nevada, Utah, Arizona and extensively in Idaho, which all have loose laws when it comes to SxS's and they are some of the best places for outdoor enthusiasts.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Yep
Its easy to guess many of the SxS people are running on credit with $100k trucks pulling 100k toy haulers and 45k sxs with another 100k in bolt on mods. The huge trend definitely was driven by cheap money.

Inflation numbers up again per today’s report. Rates need to be held in the 5-6 range probably for another yr of two to bleed off all the free $ still getting passed around like its free candy at a 6th grade Valentine party
Tough to say around here. There's lots of oil money here. Back in '03 I was working at a dealership. A 20 year old kid came in and bought a lifted up 1 ton for 80K. His dad had to show him how to write the cheque for it cause the kid had never written a cheque before.... I still remember that monstrosity. Like a 12" lift, blue with green flames...

nickw

Adventurer
There are jerks in every sport as you say.

People don't care anymore - its too bad. Here in Bend Oregon, I've been riding moto and mtb for ~25+ years, if I ever stopped to grab a snack, fix a flat, etc I'd always get a "Hey bud, you all good"....last year I got a flat and 7 people passed me and didn't say a word, I didn't need anything, but as you point out I think it is a sign of the times. We used to look after each other, BS at the truck getting ready, chat on the trail, that is pretty much gone....guessing it's the same in CO?

The interesting thing, and not to get political just pointing out an observation and experience, I see the poor attitudes / all about me personality trait on the trails 'seems' to be from a more liberal demographic. I ride dirt bikes extensively in rural Idaho and Washington, people will bend over backwards to lend a hand. I've been WAY the hell up in the middle of nowhere, people stop, chat and are generally kind and well natured...I don't find that in other areas. The folks from the cities migrating to the rural areas is changing the dynamic to a much more self centered and get ahead at all costs ideology IMO - it happened here in Bend big time.

I'm starting to really push politics and religion to the side and try to find like minded, well meaning and kind people regardless of where you stand on some issues as long as it's reciprocal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online