Are there no side by sides discussed here?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
There are jerks in every sport as you say.

People don't care anymore - its too bad. Here in Bend Oregon, I've been riding moto and mtb for ~25+ years, if I ever stopped to grab a snack, fix a flat, etc I'd always get a "Hey bud, you all good"....last year I got a flat and 7 people passed me and didn't say a word, I didn't need anything, but as you point out I think it is a sign of the times. We used to look after each other, BS at the truck getting ready, chat on the trail, that is pretty much gone....guessing it's the same in CO?

The interesting thing, and not to get political just pointing out an observation and experience, I see the poor attitudes / all about me personality trait on the trails 'seems' to be from a more liberal demographic. I ride dirt bikes extensively in rural Idaho and Washington, people will bend over backwards to lend a hand. I've been WAY the hell up in the middle of nowhere, people stop, chat and are generally kind and well natured...I don't find that in other areas. The folks from the cities migrating to the rural areas is changing the dynamic to a much more self centered and get ahead at all costs ideology IMO - it happened here in Bend big time.

I'm starting to really push politics and religion to the side and try to find like minded, well meaning and kind people regardless of where you stand on some issues as long as it's reciprocal.
I get what your saying I don’t see it being “political” I see it as a generational thing.

By the way the term “Liberal” was used by Hitler’s best buddies to classify groups of people who were viewed as being a threat to their power. Its a term thats thrown around by people today who misunderstand what it means to “classify” a group of people with that term.

Its not much different than saying all conservative Idaho people are back woods red necks.

So just as a sidebar I would avoid using the term “Liberal” it’s neither a political viewpoint or great term to classify a group with.

By the way I’m a conservative my self but don’t agree with the utter insanity taking place in our current conservative politics.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Tough to say around here. There's lots of oil money here. Back in '03 I was working at a dealership. A 20 year old kid came in and bought a lifted up 1 ton for 80K. His dad had to show him how to write the cheque for it cause the kid had never written a cheque before.... I still remember that monstrosity. Like a 12" lift, blue with green flames...
I have family members like that. The term Easy Come - Easy Go…. Is their financial plan motto. Paying big cash for a depreciating asset before you have any appreciating assets, tax write offs, market funds, maxed out 401k’s, Ira’s etc. Is the biggest reason we will continue to see homeless elderly. When company pensions were eliminated and finance responsibility was placed on the individual it wasn’t backed up with required financial school courses at HS level. Even with that I’d bet 30% of our population is actually incapable of grasping finance basics to ensure they aren’t destitute when they hit age or health or both limitations to income generating ability.

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I have family members like that. The term Easy Come - Easy Go…. Is their financial plan motto. Paying big cash for a depreciating asset before you have any appreciating assets, tax write offs, market funds, maxed out 401k’s, Ira’s etc. I the biggest reason we will continue to see homeless elderly. When company pensions were eliminated and finance responsibility was placed on the individual it wasn’t backed up with required financial school courses at HS level. Even with that I’d bet 30% of our population is actually incapable of grasping finance basics to ensure they aren’t destitute when they hit age or health or both limitations to income generating ability.
I get what you're saying.

In that case, the kid lived in camp. And I have no clue if he put money elsewhere. Most oil filed jobs up here are union and include a hell of a pension plan and benefits. He was also like 18 or so. What 18 year old doesn't want to enjoy life a bit? I know when I was 18 I wasn't thinking about retirement yet.

For me I say to each their own. Live your life as you see fit. I don't feel it's my place to lecture anyone on how they spend their own money. Also, many people live paycheck to paycheck and are unable to put much if anything away. Everyone's situation is different.

I understand retirement planning and we have a plan in place. But, I also see the flip side of you only live once and enjoy life while you can cause you don't know when it's going to end. It's a delicate balance.

Anyway.... back to sxs's....

a0xJKJR.png

106419437_3153220411393471_296404115994296890_n.jpg
cde174301152c81aa4062f1fd7ed4911.jpg

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Yeah our pipe line family lives paycheck to payc check. Union plan won’t support 1/3rd of his expected “retirement idea” he won’t have any supplemental income. On the flip
Side my neighbor is a retired elevator tech. Owns multiple properties has rental income and other investments. He uses his union pension for travel. He retired at 55. Said his body wasn’t 25 anymore.
My pipe line family already has been on injury status greatly impacting earnings at 30yrs old.

Trades are great good money but its like pro ball and and strippers by 40 your exit plan better be solid😆

nickw

Adventurer
I get what your saying I don’t see it being “political” I see it as a generational thing.

By the way the term “Liberal” was used by Hitler’s best buddies to classify groups of people who were viewed as being a threat to their power. Its a term thats thrown around by people today who misunderstand what it means to “classify” a group of people with that term.

Its not much different than saying all conservative Idaho people are back woods red necks.

So just as a sidebar I would avoid using the term “Liberal” it’s neither a political viewpoint or great term to classify a group with.

By the way I’m a conservative my self but don’t agree with the utter insanity taking place in our current conservative politics.
Part of it may be generational - but the generations are molded by the ones raising them, so it extends far beyond current generation based on what I see and have experienced, but again, that is what I see and experience.

We don't need to turn the clock back to the 1930's, common vernacular prevails here in the terms I/we use without having to deal with wokeness picking apart words or worse, putting words in my mouth. You can disagree all you want but you know as well as anybody here what I was trying to communicate which I think is generally true, big metro mentality does not fit well into certain rural communities and with that comes a cultural shift that I've seen as ultimately negative.

I won't classify myself - I judge a person on their body of work, good, kind, well meaning, respectful, open minded....bonus points for being into the same stuff as I am, different opinions welcomed, I've had my mind changed more than once about an issue.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Part of it may be generational - but the generations are molded by the ones raising them, so it extends far beyond current generation based on what I see and have experienced, but again, that is what I see and experience.

We don't need to turn the clock back to the 1930's, common vernacular prevails here in the terms I/we use without having to deal with wokeness picking apart words or worse, putting words in my mouth. You can disagree all you want but you know as well as anybody here what I was trying to communicate which I think is generally true, big metro mentality does not fit well into certain rural communities and with that comes a cultural shift that I've seen as ultimately negative.

I won't classify myself - I judge a person on their body of work, good, kind, well meaning, respectful, open minded....bonus points for being into the same stuff as I am, different opinions welcomed, I've had my mind changed more than once about an issue.
We’ll good news the back in office movement is in full push mode now. Rural regions will see a exit of Urban dwellers moving back to the anonymous life of “ there’s people for that”. Urban people operate differently than rural people. Rural people are the “people for that” when someone gets stuck with a challenging situation be it a missing lug wrench or evacuating your place due to fire etc. Rural everyone chips in because next time it might be them needing a hand. City people just post on Social media or skip it “someone else will handle it”

nickw

Adventurer
We’ll good news the back in office movement is in full push mode now. Rural regions will see a exit of Urban dwellers moving back to the anonymous life of “ there’s people for that”. Urban people operate differently than rural people. Rural people are the “people for that” when someone gets stuck with a challenging situation be it a missing lug wrench or evacuating your place due to fire etc. Rural everyone chips in because next time it might be them needing a hand. City people just post on Social media or skip it “someone else will handle it”
Sounds like we agree then....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online