AT Chaser or Horizon?

LRNAD90

Adventurer
AT Chaser or Horizon?

Okay, this is mostly an exercise in education for me, as I don’t see either being in the immediate future for me, but one day (maybe when guys start selling theirs for this new “clamshell’ AT trailer I’m hearing rumors about?) I’d like to get one behind my D-90. So the question is which one, and what are the real differences (beside the obvious design/configuration)? Is one better then the other, and if so for what uses? I really like the design and look of the Chaser, and it appears to be slightly larger, but the Horizon shows more cubic volume and looks like it makes a better base camp trailer (with the kitchen set-up and such). Color me confused, but I am curious about everyone’s opinions and why they chose (or would choose) one over the other?

P.S. – Anyone ever get a standard Lunet ring for use with a Pintle? If the Lunet is allowed to pivot, it seems it would be almost as free to move as the ‘lock-n-roll’ hitches, no?

Bergger

Explorer
You'll be happy with either. We all have things we like about the model we got. My wife and I decided on the Chaser. We were able to look at a Chaser before our purchase but not a Horizon. At Hurricane Lake we were able to look at the Horizon and I am glad we got the Chaser. Both are awesome trailers I just happen to like the Chaser a little more.

View attachment 20592

View attachment 20593

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
SOCALFJ said:

My recollection from that thread is it is almost a case of does the Horizon work for you -- yes/no. If it is in your budget and and you are ok with the weight, go for it. If the answer to either question is "no," go with the Chaser. Also why do you want a trailer? Everything, including the kitchen sink, ready to go all the time, movable base camp, get the Horizon. Just looking for extra storage or a lighter platform, Chaser.

LRNAD90

Adventurer
bigreen505 said:
My recollection from that thread is it is almost a case of does the Horizon work for you -- yes/no. If it is in your budget and and you are ok with the weight, go for it. If the answer to either question is "no," go with the Chaser. Also why do you want a trailer? Everything, including the kitchen sink, ready to go all the time, movable base camp, get the Horizon. Just looking for extra storage or a lighter platform, Chaser.

Most likely a mobile base camp scenerio. When it was just me, or the wife and I, the D-90 had plenty of room in the back to carry everything we needed with us, but now that we have our daughter, the rear bench seat and her car seat pretty much negate any usable storage space in the back of the truck, so I either need a D-110 (would love that, but out of my reach at the moment) or a trailer to carry all of our camping equipment, tools, recovery gear, coolers, etc. An onboard power system and a fridge would be a nice bonus too...

LRNAD90

Adventurer
I was also curious about pulling the trailer with a Pintle/Lunet combination instead of the lock and roll. I removed the stock bumper from my D-90 to increase departure angles, and put a 10,000 lbs rated Dixon-Bate Tow Jaw/ Pintle hook on the rear crossmember, and have no class III receiver as a result for use with the 'lock-n-roll' hitch...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998