AT IT AGAIN: Paul and Mike Convert a Mid/Tall T1N Sprinter Cargo

skibum315

Explorer
It sounds like it may never be an issue for you, but in reading your bug comments I immediately thought of the magnetic screens one can get/make for vehicle windows (like this) ... or the retractable screens available for patio doors (like this). Assuming you could find a custom size of the latter (to match the van's door opening), and had the room to install it, maybe that could be an option for those needing more protection than the Hiscox van - while still maintaining a high degree of interior finish that seems like it would be lacking with the first example.

I really like the 'sit and stare' layout you guys went for on this one, and I'd hate to see someone forgo it in fear of having to deal with bugs ... reminds me a bit of the luxury afforded by being able to camp in a lightweight (mostly mesh) tent, sans fly, when out in the desert.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I'd hate to see someone forgo it in fear of having to deal with bugs ...
We do carry two good-sized good size mosquito nets to cover the slider and/or the back doors. We didn't bother to cut either one to size; we just make it tight across the opening and use bar magnets on the Sprinter's metal door frames to hold them up. It's a bit of a kludge, but quick and cheap. They do cut a lot of the view, though the ventilation stays pretty good.

The Sprinter Store sells accurately-sized insect screens for the T1N and NCV3 sliders. They're kind of interesting, in that they have a smaller zippered door inset into the bigger screen so you can get in and out fairly easy. Unfortunately, they cost $300.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Mike will you be coming to the NW Overland Rally in Plain WA on the 26th? It would be great to check out your Sprinter!
There's some family medical stuff going on and I probably have to stay around home. I'm sad about that; I'd have enjoyed letting people get a chance to check the Sprinter out and hear what they think.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
There's some family medical stuff going on and I probably have to stay around home. I'm sad about that; I'd have enjoyed letting people get a chance to check the Sprinter out and hear what they think.

I wonder if the G could handle towing the Sprinter which would be towing the XV-JP? :cool:

bstory

Observer
Hot water when there is no shore power?

Hi Mike,

I am thinking about hot water for our van. I noted the 20 amp Arniston heater you have in this Sprinter and that you were planning on bringing in 30 amp shore power for it. What do you do for hot water when boondocking? We have one of those Coleman hot water on demand propane things which is okay but sort of a pain to move around and set unless you are staying put for a few days somewhere. Do you know about or have you heard anything about some of the marine propane units, such as the Excel ventless propane hot water heater? Any other ideas? We don't really use heat enough to justify the expense of hydronic heat with a coil for domestic hot water.

Thanks!

Beth

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I am thinking about hot water for our van. I noted the 20 amp Arniston heater you have in this Sprinter and that you were planning on bringing in 30 amp shore power for it. What do you do for hot water when boondocking? We have one of those Coleman hot water on demand propane things which is okay but sort of a pain to move around and set unless you are staying put for a few days somewhere. Do you know about or have you heard anything about some of the marine propane units, such as the Excel ventless propane hot water heater? Any other ideas? We don't really use heat enough to justify the expense of hydronic heat with a coil for domestic hot water.
Hope all is well with you.

So . . . the simple answer is that when there's no shorepower, we use the microwave to heat enough water to wash dishes, clean up a bit, make instant coffee, etc. It's not exciting, but it's workable. The amount of draw on the battery bank when using the microwave a minute or two at a time is tolerable.

The shower we have is the Nemo Helio unit, which is particularly easy to use when we can fill it full of toasty water straight from the heater, but it's intended as a solar shower, so that's another possible way to get hot water.

The problem you have with those smaller, mount-on-the-wall ventless propane heaters (I've had two), is that the temperature rise you can get is pretty small, and the maximum temperature rise comes only when you have a minimal flow. If the water in an exterior tank is down around 40F, you'll be lucky to hit 65F with any reasonable flow. The bigger the unit, the more flow and/or temperature delta you can have, but the bigger units become hard to integrate into the camper.

I understand the issues with the cost and complexity of the hydronic units, and while some would argue for them, I think they're relatively finicky compared to propane. I thought about using one for the first Sprinter, but instead went with the propane-fired PrecisionTemp ShowerMate M-550. We put one in the first Sprinter and it was brilliant. At 1 gpm flow, it'll give up to an 88F temp rise. It did indeed give all of the hot water you could every want, as hot as you wanted. The two substantial drawbacks were the $1500 cost and, even more of a problem, the fact that, being a cube about 14 x 14 x 15 before connections, it used up pretty much the entire space under the sink.

bstory

Observer
Thank, Mike. We are well - finally both retired and have a dog who seems willing to travel, so are thinking about the next big trips in the van. Thinking more about creature comforts than we used to, for sure. Considering installing AC in the camper, some sort of grown-up heat - maybe Propex, and hot water that is a bit less work to use. I don't know if it is hell getting old or actually much better, since we seem to be giving ourselves permission to be comfy! :)

We will let everyone know how we sort out these utility decisions in case our research is of any value to others.

Best...

Beth

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I don't know if it is hell getting old or actually much better, since we seem to be giving ourselves permission to be comfy! :)

Well said, Beth.

Cutting the hole in the roof for AC is pretty defensible, and I think that most people agree that a Coleman Polar Cub will keep a Sprinter cool enough until it gets to the triple digits, though the best of the bigger units will, at the cost of more money and current draw, be quieter and more powerful.

However, since it's not often too hot in Oregon, we're working with a portable standing AC that we put toward the back and run the exhaust hose out the rear part of the big passenger side window. (I cut a piece of plywood to fit the exhaust hose and the window frame.) The one we use--an 8K BTU Soleus, chosen for its small size--draws just under 1000 watts and is quieter than most roof units. It travels OK bungeed to the rear cabinet by the microwave.

No idea how it will hold up, especially up to traveling--the reviews aren't stellar--but it was only a couple hundred dollars and didn't require modifications to the van, so it was worth a try.

Soleus AC.jpg

It's kind of a kludgey approach, but since we only need it a few times each year, it's nice to have something that we can leave behind all the rest of the times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12