at overland atlas

jgallo1

Adventurer
I am looking for first-hand pros and cons of the AT Overland Atlas.
I currently have an FWC Hawk. I really enjoy it. I would like to have use of my truck bed.
I was thinking of simplifying my setup to an atlas. I could do a quick modular kitchen build-out that is easy to tie down and remove.
Just wondering what, if any are the drawback to the atlas?
Thanks

We considered both the AT Atlas and the FWC Project M, to go on a Silverado/Sierra with 6 1/2 foot bed, and decided to go with an AT Atlas. Then we were fortunate to find a used AT Atlas for sale so now we are waiting for a truck.

The AT Atlas is considerably narrow and lower than the Project M, which was a major, perhaps deciding, factor in our decision since we plan to leave the unit on the truck full time, and will be using the truck for carrying stuff and towing boats. The AT Atlas fits behind the truck cab without protruding. Visibility with AT Atlas will be the same as with a regular cap/topper. The Project M would protrude out the sides and make backing with our boats more difficult. The AT Atlas is also lower with the top down than the Project M. The combination of not protruding at the sides and the lower height should result in better fuel economy with the AT Atlas. Space inside with the top down will be as better than a regular cab height cab height cap/topper due to an additional 4" or so of height from the truck bed floor.

The AT Atlas's (sleeping) bed is narrower at 48" but more height (about 36") from the bed to the ceiling with the top up. After we stretched out together in an AT Atlas we decided the bed width was acceptable. Some couples would find the 48" width too narrow.

Build quality of the AT Atlas is excellent. We were able to compare it to several new FWC units (but not a Project M) and we preferred the construction of the AT Atlas.

For maximizing interior room with the top up and bed size the Project M would be preferred.

jgallo1

Adventurer
Thank you for the detailed comparison.
I love my FWC hawk and have looked at the Project M as a possible alternative.
The reviews have been so -so on the Project M, so that lead me to the At Overland Atlas. So far the Atlas is winning the battle.
I also really enjoy the heater that is in the FWC Hawk and now available from the factory for the AT Overland toppers.

Another factor in our decision to go with the AT Atlas over a Project M was the "shelves" in the Project M. For the full size truck version the distance between the shelves is only 47" while the inside width at the bottom of the AT Atlas is around 64". Since we will be using the truck to carry stuff as well as camping keeping the bed open is important.

jgallo1

Adventurer
Another factor in our decision to go with the AT Atlas over a Project M was the "shelves" in the Project M. For the full size truck version the distance between the shelves is only 47" while the inside width at the bottom of the AT Atlas is around 64". Since we will be using the truck to carry stuff as well as camping keeping the bed open is important.
I have been wondering about those shelves.
When you have the At Atlas top-down, could you sleep back there in a pinch or for a quick stealth camp.?

When you have the At Atlas top-down, could you sleep back there in a pinch or for a quick stealth camp.?
It depends on how what is in the truck bed and whether there is a large enough flat surface to sleep on.

With the top down the underside of the sleeping is about 25" above the top of the truck bed sides - with a 21" deep truck bed that means 46" from the truck bed floor to the underside of the sleeping bed. So there would be a bit more room than a cab height cap/topper.

The Ovrlnd units also looked attractive based on their website and some videos, but we're in Maine and they are in Arizona with no dealers. That meant the unit would have to be shipped with a crating fee in addition to shipping, and potentially a major hassle if it is damaged in shipping, or we would have to drive 2700 miles each way to have it installed.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Another big advantage to the ovrlnd is that the bed size on a fullsize truck is much wider (approx 68") than the atlas.

elcap23

We have an AT Atlas on our first gen Tundra and have positive experiences so far. Used for the last year for a family of four with two small kiddos. We have a sleeping platform down low for the kids and the adults sleep up top. The 48"-inch wide bed is pretty tight, but we sleep fine. I could see an issue for folks used to more space. Pros so far:
  • Very solid construction and great insulation---feels warm inside particularly with the artic package
  • love the ability to retain the usability of the truck bed when not camping. We've done lumber and nursery runs while keeping the camper on teh truck
  • no issues with snow loads or high winds
  • we like how the truck bed is adaptable to your desired level of comfort.
We would order again and would spring for the Artic pack as well.

I have no experience with the M project or Ovrland camper.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Sounds good. Did you order through a dealer. Lead time in late January was 40 weeks if ordering directly from AT Overland, but could be less ordering through a dealer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior