at overland atlas

jgallo1

Adventurer
Sounds good. Did you order through a dealer. Lead time in late January was 40 weeks if ordering directly from AT Overland, but could be less ordering through a dealer.
yes, I ordered it through my local dealer here in MT. He said it will be here in July .

jgallo1

Adventurer
The Atlas camper
it was delayed a month ( which really is not bad compared to the other stories I have heard.). I was slammed with work so it took me a few more weeks to get it installed.
I have only done 2 nights in the camper and it was really nice. It is very spacious and you get to keep your truck bed if you want. I am very happy. The camper is extremely well made. It also looks awesome.

TheDesertRat

Desert Nomad
Looking forward to reading more about your experience. I am leaning towards an AT Atlas when I finally move on from my 07 F150 w/ a CVT RTT on the shell in a year or two. The Atlas is high on my list to go on either an F250 or the new Ranger.

CarolinaBlue

Please share pics if you're able. There is unfortunately not a lot of info or detailed owners reviews on the AT campers and the Atlas in particular. Congrats on the purchase!

Not an Atlas, but 6 months of AT Summit ownership(which is nearly-identical):

Greats- Sleek all-aluminum design. Like mentioned above, it follows the contours of the truck(in my case a Tacoma). Standard insulated and carpeted walls/roof and factory option for tent insulation. The must-have option IMHO! BEEFY truck bed attachment system- think single piece of aluminum running down the entire length of each bed channel. Pre-wired standard for 12v and USB along with LED interior lights near the hatch.

Not-so-Greats- Price. Has increased quite a bit in the past couple years, but so has everything! 48 inch wide bed is the only sleeping option(which leads to slanting sidewalls). However, changing this would reduce the sleekness I appreciate and the walls are still plenty-vertical for sitting against(at least on a Tacoma).

Honestly, if I had to do it all over again I wouldn't change a thing! There are other options out there, but AT is who I trusted with my money(and my SAFETY as well as it sits on my daily-driven vehicle). The Summit is essentially an Atlas with a wedge-design top so I think it's a fair review.

TheDesertRat

Desert Nomad
Not an Atlas, but 6 months of AT Summit ownership(which is nearly-identical):

Out of curiosity, why the Summit over the Atlas? I currently have a CVT Mt. Hood on my F150. Granted, it isn't a popup that allows for standing in the bed, but I do find the slant design to be a bit limiting for space. Hence my interest in the Atlas. I am also interested to know if the Summit (slant roof) is more stable in heavy winds over the Atlas.

At the time the prices were the same so my choice was purely personal preference(I think the Atlas is a little more now). I like that I can park the wedge into the wind if I'm really worried about it, but the biggest reason for me is that the bed swings up with the angle of the roof to open up the entire bed space for standing. Yes, the Atlas allows full bed length standing when the bed is out of the way. I believe, however, that it involves stacking sections of the bed to accomplish that instead of just raising the bed? I could be wrong.

I will say, the end of the bed near the front can get a little cramped. AT was willing, however, to move the hinge-point of the bed back 6 inches for a little more toe room. That does take 6 inches away from standing room when the bed is down, but it's still enough for me to climb up/down comfortably.

Bergger

Explorer
Also not an Atlas but we have the Summit and I'll offer my opinion. Ordered it through Juniper Overland end of December 2021 and took Delivery first week of October 2022. The wait time is long but worth it. I looked at every type of popup topper style camper out there but always came back to the AT products for several reasons. First off is the reputation of the company. My first dealing with them and with the owner Mario was way back in 2007 when I bought a Chaser trailer from him. The quality of their products and attention to detail in those products is second to none and their customer service is legendary. They are very quick to respond back as well. That goes a long way with me. With all these other companies popping up I just did not known what to expect. With AT I knew exactly what to expect and they delivered. They promptly answered every email I sent and every phone call I made.

Our Summit is on a 2018 Titan Pro4x and is absolutely awesome. I bought it for several reasons over other options. The company itself and overall quality of the product as I previously mentioned, the way the topper fits the truck (much more streamlined, fits like a glove, and the way it is mounted it's never coming off). I could roll the truck and I bet it'd still be on the truck. Also having a "universal" topper that fits so well and also fits several truck manufacturers has its benefits. It makes it easier to resell or if I buy a different truck with a 67" bed it should fit. The model we have fits any full size Nissan, Dodge, Ford, Toyota or Chevy with a 5.5 inch bed. The Chevy is the only one that needs an additional plate since their beds are slightly longer.

I also went with AT due to the thick insulated walls and the carpeted interior. We live at over 10k feet so winters are long and cold here. Most other toppers out there have thinner uninsulated walls with bare aluminum or bare composite walls. That's a recipe for terrible condensation. We've only had the Summit a short time but have had it in temps down to 28 degrees and have not had one drop of condensation in it. We did opt for the arctic pack, maxxair fan and the truma heater and that combo works great in the winter. We honestly love the topper and do not regret the money spent on it. Being 6'2" I also had them make the bed platform 6" longer (no additional cost) so I have plenty of room for my big ass feet. It sounds like Groverland had this done as well. Even with the longer platform you still have 32" of standing space with the bed down. More than enough room.

Both the Atlas and Summit are awesome choices but we opted for the Summit over the Atlas for a few reasons. Super quick set up and breakdown. Being in such a cold environment it sheds snow and rain very well and has less tent material exposed. I also feel that if you park it facing into the wind it will handle the wind better. On a side note the tent material they use is super nice and very taught. It hardly moves at all in strong wind and with the arctic pack installed you often don't even know it's windy out. The last time we were out the only way we knew it was windy was when we looked out the window. Some feel the Atlas gives you more room than the Summit. Maybe it does but I'm not so sure. Yes the Summit it slants down at your feet but the headroom in the higher part is great. Also having the ability to lift the whole bed up and out of the way on those gas struts is fantastic. No panels to move around and disturb your bedding. And there's lots of headroom under the platform for hanging out when someone is up in bed. I don't think you can go wrong with either the Summit or Atlas. Top notch products.

Hodor

Purely opinion but the ovrlnd is riveted together and I don't know anything riveted in the automotive industry that lasts.

ramblinChet

Purely opinion but the ovrlnd is riveted together and I don't know anything riveted in the automotive industry that lasts.

Have you considered the riveted aircraft from 80-100 years ago that are still flying today? For aviation applications, riveted joints are stronger and more durable when compared to welded ones.

dstefan

Actually, it’s a very strong TIG welded 1/8” x 1x2” aluminum frame. The skins are VHB mounted and then riveted. It’s super strong and robust. We’ve rattled ours all over on terrible washboards and rolly, rocky trails with zero issues. The AT popups are well built too, and we looked at them, but liked the bed size and customizeability of the Ovrlnd better.

Hodor

Have you considered the riveted aircraft from 80-100 years ago that are still flying today? For aviation applications, riveted joints are stronger and more durable when compared to welded ones.
I have. Aviation and automotive are two completely different industries with different stresses, weathering and use applications. They are hardly comparable.

Automotive applications take WAYYY more abuse from contact with the road and everything else you decide to drive into\onto.
I would be skeptical of anything riveted together beyond skins and trims, and even then it seems a bad idea as opposed to heavy glues and tapes.
Look at what every major manufacturer uses - plastic and tape.
My assumption is because things wear out and need replaced and that's the best way to replace things without destroying what they go on. Welds break, rivets come loose, caulking cracks, nothing is forever proof.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior