AT Tacoma Habitat: Official Thread

Iggy

I don't know if this has been answered, but from the photos it looks like the top plastic liners on the bed were removed.

Is this correct and is there any modification to the truck to run this?

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I don't know if this has been answered, but from the photos it looks like the top plastic liners on the bed were removed.

Is this correct and is there any modification to the truck to run this?

On the Gen 2 Tacoma's the bed rail caps were removed to help getting a good seal and for attachment. Gen 3 Tacoma's are a little different we'll have to see what works best with that model. No other mods were make to the vehicle apart from adding some nut plates for attachment.

Iggy

On the Gen 2 Tacoma's the bed rail caps were removed to help getting a good seal and for attachment. Gen 3 Tacoma's are a little different we'll have to see what works best with that model. No other mods were make to the vehicle apart from adding some nut plates for attachment.

Thanks for the reply! Does it bolt to the top of the bed sides or he bed rails?

Martyn

Thanks for the reply! Does it bolt to the top of the bed sides or he bed rails?

The Habitat has a horizontal lip that rests on the top of the bed rail. The unit it attached through the lip and the bed rail.

Xrunner

Explorer
After the initial install how long would it take to remove or reinstall the Habitat? Would it be a pretty simple process, something that could be done seasonally?

Martyn

After the initial install how long would it take to remove or reinstall the Habitat? Would it be a pretty simple process, something that could be done seasonally?

We have had the top on and off fairly quickly. It requires undoing 6 bolts and disconnecting a electrical connection. We remove the top using a fork lift, but one person on each corner, or a chain hoist would do the trick.

Last edited:

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
You would only have to remove 6 bolts. We take one off in about 20 minutes with 2 people. Re-fitting takes a little more care, 30-40 minutes.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

dman93

Adventurer
Putting in some hooks (literally or figuratively) so the AT Habitat could be easily removed by one person would be a wonderful feature. I've been able to remove and reinstall my FlipPac solo, by building a wooden frame on the ground that sits along both sides of the bed, just wide enough to back the truck into. I then lifted the shell one corner at a time and slid boards under it, across its width, and resting on the sides of the frame, and just clearing the tops of the bed rails. I could then pull the truck out. Threaded inserts or some other discreet feature at each outer corner of the shell, to allow attaching brackets to each corner of the shell, to support it externally, would make this much easier. Just a thought ... I know you guys have your hands full starting production!

Clutch

<---Pass
Putting in some hooks (literally or figuratively) so the AT Habitat could be easily removed by one person would be a wonderful feature. I've been able to remove and reinstall my FlipPac solo, by building a wooden frame on the ground that sits along both sides of the bed, just wide enough to back the truck into. I then lifted the shell one corner at a time and slid boards under it, across its width, and resting on the sides of the frame, and just clearing the tops of the bed rails. I could then pull the truck out. Threaded inserts or some other discreet feature at each outer corner of the shell, to allow attaching brackets to each corner of the shell, to support it externally, would make this much easier. Just a thought ... I know you guys have your hands full starting production!

Or you can just use straps. That is if you have an overhead structure to attach a hoist.

s-l300.jpg

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
We thought of that already. If you order the Habitat with the optional roof rack, you can lift it easily with the removable cargo tie down rings. 20160115_135950.jpg

dman93

Adventurer
Lifting from above is not easy for me. No forklift or place for a hoist, truck won't fit in garage. I suspect I'm not alone, hence the market for camper jacks.
Edit: sorry if this came across negative. It's just my situation. In any case, the aluminum will work much better for add-ons than the FP's fiberglass over rotten wood &#128512;

Last edited:
Since it weighs so little the standard tripod camper jacks in a pair or set of three would work to lift it. Just might have to make an adapter plate or a wedge to get it up of the bed rails and slip in the jack edge. Those things are easy to store but they would require an additional purchase and they raise and lower only a couple of feet, so it would not get you all the way to the floor. A cart or stand of sorts would have to be made. After purchasing all that stuff, i think Dmans wooden removal station Idea is better. Just depends how you wanna store it I guess.

Off topic, but I am curious if they will be offering a RTT setup like this. I keep thinking how cool it would be to stick this on top of any suv and cutting a hole in the roof to make it like a flippac, or in the reverse orientation where the big open area becomes an instant room in the back of the vehicle once you add side curtains.

Last edited:

Martyn

We have been looking into various ways to package the tent portion of the Habitat. It's too early in the process to release anything yet, we should have a couple of examples available for people to view at Expo West at Mormon Lake in May. Right now we are concentrating on the Habitat for the Tacoma.

^ You're looking for something along the lines of an Ursa by the sounds of it.

Yeah, similar to the ursa, but with the habitat/flippac style and benefits. One big issue of course is the gas strut lift setup. That would be harder to package on a rtt style setup. I think it would be interesting and would shake up the rtt and campervan folks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12