AT Tacoma Habitat: Official Thread

Iggy

That's exactly what I was thinking. A base 4WC is more apple and apples. If the price falls around the price of a nice camper shell and RTT this is a no brainier.

On the roof racks, will there be the option of no roof racks, just a clean flat roof?

RPS

A shell 4 Wheel camper starts around 8k I'm guessing this will be under that pricing by at least 1k?

I hope so. ATC even comes in under that.

Looks like a JK Habitat is $9800? Aluminum vs Fiberglass? JK market vs Truck market?

I'm hoping to find something for a low enough buy in. I want to be able to stand up inside and sleep comfortably with fairly easy setup. But stay light enough to still tow the rock crawler with my PowerWagon

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Pricing is still being worked on and should be available shortly. Costing is hard thing to do when we are perfectionists, we use the best parts, the best materials, and cutting edge innovative designs.

The Taco is an interesting vehicle, in that the rear suspension is anemic, and any type of slide in camper will require some form of suspension upgrade. The Tacoma Habitat Camper is light enough not to require suspension upgrades, it produces less strain on the vehicle, and can be left in place for the daily driver. The complexity for us was how to design a light and strong camper, that requires innovative design and keep the costs down. When we use Nemo designed tents, and military grade hardware the cost vs durability equation keeps revolving around in our heads. Now you know why Mario and I are awake think about these issues at 3.00 in the morning :)

So the financial equation may be a little more complex than the apples to apples shell slide in vs the Tacoma Habitat.

There will be lots of options for this camper, we hope that it will be as simple or as complex as you want it. We are planning an à la carte menu that will cater to the minimalist as well as the customer who wants a fully built expedition rig.

Clutch

<---Pass
A shell 4 Wheel camper starts around 8k I'm guessing this will be under that pricing by at least 1k?

What were the Flippacs, $6500 for the base?

There is a lot more material/welding in a FWC...than what appears in this new Habitat...of course the tent looks pretty complex...quite a bit of heavy duty sewing, that isn't easy.

dman93

Adventurer
Martyn and Mario, some feedback from a FlipPac owner who uses his truck as a daily driver: please make sure the shell is a good shell for daily, non-camping use. In other words to keep bikes, tools, luggage, groceries etc clean, dry and accessible and with maximum (non-snagging on the folded tent) usable volume. Good windows (front and sides, windoor option is awesome) and a securely latching and easy to open lift gate with large clear area for visibility. This is the HUGE advantage of this type of product over a slide-in, and the slight extra height and width, and vertical sides, of this design versus typical shells makes it very useful. Even with my 6' bed, I can fit quite a few pieces of 8' lumber or pipe diagonally and close the lift gate, and the height and width of the opening make it easy to stow 29" mountain bikes. Unfortunately, we're not always camping so this dual purpose usability is very important.

Thanks.

Topgun514

Adventurer
I'll still hold out hope for something like this in the Jeep Wrangler J30 realm of lift/open. The flip open does nothing for me when rain and wind are a normal occurrence; less fabric and more "roof." I hope this does not come out as a negative, either, just putting in my two cents of a future build from AT :)

On this project specifically, however, this is a great looking top addressing most of the failures of Flippac.

Martyn

I'll still hold out hope for something like this in the Jeep Wrangler J30 realm of lift/open. The flip open does nothing for me when rain and wind are a normal occurrence; less fabric and more "roof." I hope this does not come out as a negative, either, just putting in my two cents of a future build from AT :)

On this project specifically, however, this is a great looking top addressing most of the failures of Flippac.

We appreciate everyone's feedback, everything is taken into consideration, we may or may not be able to achieve what everyone wants but it is discussed on it's merits.

Making a roof that opened 30° or 45° would be an easier task than what we have accomplished, but our goal was a vehicle 2-4 people could live, work and travel out of.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
We appreciate everyone's feedback, everything is taken into consideration, we may or may not be able to achieve what everyone wants but it is discussed on it's merits.

Making a roof that opened 30° or 45° would be an easier task than what we have accomplished, but our goal was a vehicle 2-4 people could live, work and travel out of.

Glad to hear it. There are a ton of viable vehicle-camper combos for the traveling duo, but adding that 3rd or 4th human always makes everything much more complicated.

Clutch

<---Pass

I like that it opens 180º, very versatile... creates quite a bit of room, plus can toss items on the bed during the day with it like that, and not have to convert from day use to night use...like those partial lifting roof systems make you do.

If it is too windy or rainy, could always close it up and sleep in the bed. At least that is what I did with my Wildernest. Build sleeping platform in the bed so you have the option to do both.

Think you guys did a fabulous job.

Keyne

Adventurer
Martyn and Mario, some feedback from a FlipPac owner who uses his truck as a daily driver: please make sure the shell is a good shell for daily, non-camping use. In other words to keep bikes, tools, luggage, groceries etc clean, dry and accessible and with maximum (non-snagging on the folded tent) usable volume. Good windows (front and sides, windoor option is awesome) and a securely latching and easy to open lift gate with large clear area for visibility. This is the HUGE advantage of this type of product over a slide-in, and the slight extra height and width, and vertical sides, of this design versus typical shells makes it very useful. Even with my 6' bed, I can fit quite a few pieces of 8' lumber or pipe diagonally and close the lift gate, and the height and width of the opening make it easy to stow 29" mountain bikes. Unfortunately, we're not always camping so this dual purpose usability is very important.

Thanks.

Based on your experience... how is it as a daily driver? Based on your post I am assuming the window options are recommended? Any other options recommendations for someone thinking of the daily driver route?

Martyn

Based on your experience... how is it as a daily driver? Based on your post I am assuming the window options are recommended? Any other options recommendations for someone thinking of the daily driver route?

Windows aren't for everyone, personally I like a rear window and a passenger side window so I can see what's going on when I'm driving, but it also decreases the vehicle security.

The prototype has no rear window because you couldn't see out the back even if you had one, the gear on the swing away blocks the view. No side windows either again for security.

We are not using an off the shelf rear tailgate window we believe they are easily opened and are a security risk. Our custom rear hatch will be much more secure and will have the option of having a rear window.

Iggy

I too like the idea of windows. Especially windoors in terms or the practical aspect as well.

If possible it would be great to have codeable locks to the main key.

dman93

Adventurer
Was this question directed at me? The FlipPac with windows is fine as a daily driver, and I'm sure this new AT Habitat will be no different. It's a bit higher/wider than the cab which requires some care with overhanging trees (or signposts) ... whether on the trail or on city streets.

dman93

Adventurer
We are not using an off the shelf rear tailgate window we believe they are easily opened and are a security risk. Our custom rear hatch will be much more secure and will have the option of having a rear window.
I'm intrigued :) Keep the good stuff coming!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online