AT tires for my 2008 Taco

piton

I'm shopping for AT tires for my 2008 taco and was wondering what the optimal size would be for me. I'm moving from NY to Duvall WA this summer and when we get there my daily driving will be about 70% on road and 30% off (hopefully). The off road will be anything from mud (nothing to extreme), snow (light to deep), gravel, mild rock crawling and tree roots. I don't have the money right now for any lift or other mods.

I'm looking at the Discoverer S/T 265/75 R16 116S OWLS
Is this a good size and tire for me, should I go bigger or smaller for maximum function?

Applejack

Explorer
You wont be able to fit anything larger than 265/75's, without a lift but, those are a good size for a Taco that does mild-medium trail duty.

i have 235/85R16 cooper stt's on my 08 and love them. maybe a little more aggresive than your looking for but good tires. no rubbing any where.

piton

I was thinking about the STT's but was slightly concerned about road noise and the S/T get better reviews for durability. Any thoughts?

piton

7wt,

So your running the 235/85R16 correct? Do you think the 265/75 are too wide for my needs? What to you put your 235's through?

7wt,

Do you think the 265/75 are too wide for my needs?

No, 265/75 R16 are the perfect size for our Tacoma's. They will actually bring your speedo to an almost precise reading. The 05+ Tacoma's actually tend to read 5 mph below the actual speed.

I had this size BFG AT on my 07 from day 2 of ownership and put a lot of miles on them very quickly. I have since gone to a 255/85 R16 in a Cooper S/T.

Last edited:
265/75 R16 is the size tire I was running in these pics. I loved the BFG AT's while we lived in the wet Pacific Northwest and this truck is also my DD. I ran this size tires up and down the West Coast, through Death Valley, and on wet backcountry roads in Oregon.

265/75 R16 while stock

IMG_6001.jpg

Same tire with aftermarket suspension and wheels.
IMG_7515-1.jpg

Last edited:
the stt's do have soem road noise but not what i would call loud,(but i run swampers and ground hogs!). i dont really notice it any more. sacrifice i have to make with a mud tire.

to be honest that dont look that skinny. next to my wife's 265/70's they do look narrow, but not bad

WASURF63

Adventurer
No, 265/75 R16 are the perfect size for our Tacoma's. They will actually bring your speedo to an almost precise reading. The 05+ Tacoma's actually tend to read 5 mph below the actual speed.

I had this size BFG AT on my 07 from day 2 of ownership and put a lot of miles on them very quickly. I have since gone to a 255/85 R16 in a Cooper S/T.

Piton,
I agree w/ S-Freak. The 265/75 R16 is a perfect size tire for your rig. I run that exact size tire on my '08 Tacoma and I even have a mild lift. I live in Washington State and have run the Toyo "Open Country AT" 265/75 R16 on my current rig for over a year. Xlnt road manners/ very quiet for an A/T. They do very well in the snow,sand,mild mud, and great in the rain (which we have more than our share of.) I've also run BFG AT/TA's on my previous rigs.They were a little noisier on the pavement though. Both are good tire choices for this area where you'll encounter various terrain and weather conditions.Good luck with your choice.
WASURF63

Last edited:

7wt

Expedition Leader
7wt,

So your running the 235/85R16 correct? Do you think the 265/75 are too wide for my needs? What to you put your 235's through?

No, they are not too wide. I just wanted something a little different and liked the higher load rating the 235's give you. Mine ride like iron and wear like steel. Plus they are a fair bit cheaper than the 265/75's. Being a little narrower, you can fit the 235's without a lift on the older gen Taco's depending on the level of your spring sag.

piton

Thanks for all the feedback guys, much appreciated.

WASURF63, that's a nice camping setup you got there, were did you pick that up?

WASURF63

Adventurer
Thanks for all the feedback guys, much appreciated.

WASURF63, that's a nice camping setup you got there, were did you pick that up?

Thanks Piton !
I started with a stock '08 Tacoma 4wd Off Road model and went from there as $$$ allowed. All mods are influenced by weather needs here in the Pacific NW. (We camp and explore 9 mos out of the year with a 3 year old and a large dog.) If you have any specific ?'s let me know.
WASURF63

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12