AT tires for my 2008 Taco

piton

Thanks Piton !
I started with a stock '08 Tacoma 4wd Off Road model and went from there as $$$ allowed. All mods are influenced by weather needs here in the Pacific NW. (We camp and explore 9 mos out of the year with a 3 year old and a large dog.) If you have any specific ?'s let me know.
WASURF63

For our first year in the Pacific NW, I'll be consumed with school (Wilderness Awareness School) and work. Hopefully we'll have some time for rock climbing, hunting, snowshoeing.........

Once school is over then well have time for serious play time, hopefully we'll be in the same boat with you in regards to a kid and dog in the near future. The camping rig looks vary appealing to me. Can you give me some details on that, how is that set up in high winds and rain (i assume it's good or else you wouldn't have it)?

thanks,
-P

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
7wt will love this:

I started out with BFG ATs in 235/85/16 on my Disco II and moved them to my 05 Tacoma the day I brought it home. THEY WERE GREAT! Drove from Alaska to Denver then started reading ExPo a little more closely. I was swept up in the tide of conformity and abandoned the 235's in favor of the very hip 255/85/16's in BFG MTs. After a few thousand miles I realized that MT's were not the tire for what I do and I have now gone back to the 235 BFG ATs. (if you listen closely, you can hear Jerrett snickering even now...)

Having gone back and forth, my conclusion is that the bigger tires work your truck to death unless you go to the trouble to re-gear. I feel like I have gone from army boots to tennis shoes. The truck runs GREAT up the hills of Colorado, road noise is WAY down (tread pattern I am sure) power 'feels' up and I lost all of 1/3 inch in ground clearance. Small price for the skinner, longer wearing, easier to live with AT's. I also find the narrow tires perform very well in everything. Look at the army jeeps - they almost have bicycle tires on them and they go anywhere.

The bigger tires sure look cool, but I choose function over form in just about everything.

Just my humble opinion of course.

Last edited:

7wt

Expedition Leader
Funny thing, I got my 235's after Don started the thread about him wanting to move them over to his Tacoma. I would have to look at the exact number but I have plenty of miles on them and they look brand new. I haven't babied them either. The 235's are the poor man's 255's. They have about the same ratio, they are just not as tall and they come with a higher load rating. Nice not to have to regear.

daverami

Explorer
No, 265/75 R16 are the perfect size for our Tacoma's. They will actually bring your speedo to an almost precise reading. The 05+ Tacoma's actually tend to read 5 mph below the actual speed.

I had this size BFG AT on my 07 from day 2 of ownership and put a lot of miles on them very quickly. I have since gone to a 255/85 R16 in a Cooper S/T.

Phil, how are you liking the 255's? Only considering ground clearance and some difference in sidewall, are you happier with them than the 265's, considering some power loss and crawl speed in lo range? I go back and forth on that size, but I would want to regear, and that costs a few bucks.

David

piton

one thought.... am I going to be able to carry the 265/75 R16 spare under my bed?

Last edited:
Phil, how are you liking the 255's? Only considering ground clearance and some difference in sidewall, are you happier with them than the 265's, considering some power loss and crawl speed in lo range? I go back and forth on that size, but I would want to regear, and that costs a few bucks.

David

Um...I love the clearance I am now getting and they have performed great. The negatives for me are that I put them on too wide a wheel, so I must be very conservative when airing down. There also has been a lose is power and of course gas mileage, but it really does not bother me that much. I should re-gear, but I just can't afford that right now. Also, the speedo now reads 5 mph over the actual speed.

Even though I love this size tire, common sense is telling me to go back to the 265's once these tires are shot.

one thought.... am I going to be able to carry the 265/75 R16 spare under my bed?

Yes, it can still fit.

Last edited:

WASURF63

Adventurer
For our first year in the Pacific NW, I'll be consumed with school (Wilderness Awareness School) and work. Hopefully we'll have some time for rock climbing, hunting, snowshoeing.........

Once school is over then well have time for serious play time, hopefully we'll be in the same boat with you in regards to a kid and dog in the near future. The camping rig looks vary appealing to me. Can you give me some details on that, how is that set up in high winds and rain (i assume it's good or else you wouldn't have it)?

thanks,
-P

-P ,

The RTT is an "Autohome" Colombus XL and the rear mounted awning is the "Hannibal" 1.7m (5.58 ft) wide model (with sides).
They're mounted to a custom "Crosstread Renagade" 750lb cap. steel rack.
The tent is fully open in seconds via (2) gas struts and the awning takes less than 5 mins to deploy.(Add another 5+ mins for the sides.)
I've had both deployed in wet, windy weather a handfull of x's and stayed very dry and comfortable inside. The gas struts in the RTT are lockable in the upright position and the awning is probably one of the most "weather stout" models on the market. I've seen alot of well thought out/equipped rigs here on Expo. Each seem to have thier own regional application(s).
This particular combo suits our needs very well for the Pacific NW.
If you have any other technical/detailed ?'s feel free to PM me.
WS

piton

-P ,

The RTT is an "Autohome" Colombus XL and the rear mounted awning is the "Hannibal" 1.7m (5.58 ft) wide model (with sides).
They're mounted to a custom "Crosstread Renagade" 750lb cap. steel rack.
The tent is fully open in seconds via (2) gas struts and the awning takes less than 5 mins to deploy.(Add another 5+ mins for the sides.)
I've had both deployed in wet, windy weather a handfull of x's and stayed very dry and comfortable inside. The gas struts in the RTT are lockable in the upright position and the awning is probably one of the most "weather stout" models on the market. I've seen alot of well thought out/equipped rigs here on Expo. Each seem to have thier own regional application(s).
This particular combo suits our needs very well for the Pacific NW.
If you have any other technical/detailed ?'s feel free to PM me.
WS

Thanks! I'll pm you for sure if I have any other ?? :smiley_drive:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12