Audi allroad: Perfect Choice?

Ruffin' It

Explorer
tires

Just to mention it, General makes the Grabber AT2 in a 55 aspect sidewall. It is a really good all terrain tire that I ran on my Discovery for years with great results. I never had any trouble keeping up with BFG's even in Colorado mud. If you are looking for a tire that will handle dirt and fit like stock, that would be my vote.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
As somebody who's used a lifted Subaru wagon, and who seriously considered the Allroad, I would suggest you re-jigger your priorities just a little. Hear me out:

I'm short enough (5'6") that I can sleep in the back of my WRX wagon. With an air mattress its comfy enough, and I've done a few nights like that. However, I have only managed to sleep back there when I was "city" camping like when I did a couple of nights @ Maker Faire 2008. Its not really plausible to use as a sleeper when I'm out hiking/camping because having to unload all the gear (and maybe leave a mess of it outside) is a hassle.

I highly suggest you consider a lightweight roof top tent or shell tent like the Maggiolina (for toughness) or the Oasis II (weighs only 50lbs). These won't hurt your gas mileage any more than a roof basket would, plus it means you can have your gear locked up in the back when you're in-town and you don't have to unload to go to bed. Granted you lose the "stealth" camping but stealth camping in a wagon is an illusion anyway because somebody will see you moving all your gear around and trying to crawl into the back.

If you decide to use a roof tent, this means you can re-evaluate which vehicle to bring by leaving out "long enough to sleep in the back" as a criterion. This brings stuff like the Subaru Forester back into play, and with a simpler more conventional suspension and a wider array of aftermarket underbody armor (from all the rally guys), I would certainly feel more comfortable taking that vehicle on an extended roadtrip.

Heck, since I already own my "Outback" WRX (see my sig), I would just use that with an Oasis II if I didn't have a baby and a wife who likes comfy beds and hot showers.

Viggen

Just here...
BUY AN OUTBACK!!!

I just got rid of my 2005 allroad 2.7T. It was in a limited/ rare color combo, fully painted flares and bumpers, every option except one requirement: reliability. It was the biggest POS I have ever owned. It single handedly killed VAG products for me, and I had 3 before this one. Its a mess of electrical issues and a suspension system that is a great party trick but is prone to failures and expensive repairs. Mine was in the shop more than I actually got to drive it. The MPG blew hard and it was a pig that devoured brake pads, rotors and, more importantly, tires. The curb weight is incredible. Many owners go to light truck weight rated tires to withstand its weight.

Its too bad as it was a dream vehicle for me. Even with a full warranty, I couldnt stand the fact that it was always breaking and in the shop. I went and picked up an 09 Outback and havent looked back since.

Ask any allroad owner about the service and maintenance costs. Theyll tell you that they are insane.

haven

Expedition Leader
Curious, so I did a little research about the Allroad Quattro.

All Allroad Quattro models include adjustable air suspension and full time all wheel drive. Transfer case with low range (1.54 ratio) was optional on models with 6 speed manual transmission. The turbo V6 is the same engine Audi offered in the hot rod S4 model.

There's a claim that Allroad Quattro is the only SUV based on a car platform that has completed the official Land Rover test course.

First generation (uses VW's C5 chassis)
2001-2005 in North America
2.7L twin turbo produces 247 hp and 258 lb·ft
6 speed manual or Tiptronic 5 speed automatic transmission
Torsen center differential
independent suspension front and rear
air suspension with 4 positions, 142 to 208 mm
17-inch, 5-arm alloy wheels, 7.5 inches wide
P225/55HR17 all season tires
payload 639 kg / 1400 lb

climate control air conditioning standard
12V socket in cargo area

electronic stability control
anti-lock braking system
electronic differential lock (individual wheel brakes limit wheel spin)
traction control

options
navigation system
TPMS
Bose stereo
acoustic parking system
leather seating
sunroof

Second generation (base on VW's C6 chassis)
2006-2008 in North America
3.2L turbo V6
4.2L V8
6 speed tiptronic automatic transmission
adjustable air suspension with 5 positions
slightly longer wheelbase

car-like competitors
Subaru Legacy Outback wagon
Volvo V70 Cross Country

Expensive repairs an issue. Audi sees itself as a luxury car company, and their dealers' parts and shop rates match this perception.

-Somewhere around 80,000 miles, one height adjustable air shock develops small leak, leads to air compressor running constantly trying to maintain ride height. Cost to repair $1000 each for shocks, $1000 for compressor. Maybe this is why I saw many Allroads with 75,000 miles offered for sale.

-Transmission mentioned needing replacement around 125,000 miles. Cost $4000.

Video:

Allroad on dirt roads in Utah
occasional use of front air dam as road grader
annoying mouth-breathing cameraman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJtdeOiR9ec
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnE58S7IDCQ

Allroad climbs ski slope farther than Nissan Patrol in German
maybe they forgot to lock the axles of the Patrol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zfKRdgoRo4

examples for sale March 3 2010

2001 Audi Allroad Quattro $13,700
2.7L turbo V6
53,000 miles
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=270966372

2002 Audi Allroad Quattro $12,000
2.7L turbo V6
premium package, sports package, navigation
77,800 miles
one owner California car
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=271838607

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Unless you're just trying to do something "different" for the sake of doing it, I'd take the simplest and most common vehicle you can find. A Subaru Outback wagon is long enough to sleep in (although if you try to sleep 2 people, 2 people are all you will fit in the back - which means your gear has to go somewhere else.)

Subarus are pretty reliable, have fair if not spectacular off road ability and are not nearly as expensive as Audis to repair.

MPG wise you can get 20+ MPG all day with an Outback. I got 25+ on a regular basis in mine, which had a 4 speed auto. With a MT or a 5 speed auto you can expect even better.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I'd driven one of these extensively and it belonged to a good friend who is in our community. The air system was chronically failing and it was constantly in for servicing with very expensive bills. It is really a car more than anything else FWIW. I am not a huge Subaru fan these days but I would take a Subaru over an allroad any day of the week, as awesome as they are and look..

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
Curious, so I did a little research about the Allroad Quattro.

haven,
you need to do a whole lot more research to realize what you're getting into w/ a AR.
It would be a commitment. There is a reason a $60,000 car is tickling the teens a few short yrs later.

btw, the 2.7T is in the S4 you're correct. In the AR, it's like Carl Lewis.... w/ Fat Albert on his back. If you want a slushbox, forget it.

Even w/ the 4.2, I decided to skip it. And I really liked the AR

N8URE2

Adventurer
I just bought an 04 Allroad and for the price I really like the car. On road at HWY speeds it is very smooth. It has alot of room. Gas mileage stinks though.
I have owned an Outback in the past and I would be more likely to take the Suby on more terrain because the audi has a certain "fragile" feel to it and repais are costly. The Suby just felt more solid on the dirt.

I would be interested in hearing if anyone has experience with aftermarket suspension on the Audi. I know there are some options out there that replace the airbags, but would like to know where those leave the car as far as ground clearance. If I could replace my airbags and have the car ride at level 3, I'd be game. From what I've read I think there would be tranny issues with this, but would like to see if anyone has more info?

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
We had an 02 Allroad with the 2.7 and 6spd manual. What a great car! We had zero issues with it in 4 years of ownership. And yes, we drove it hard, and fast, and off pavement. Yes, the cost of parts is higher than a chevy, but so are Subaru parts. As said in a previous post, if you can find one for a reasonable price, the Tuareg is probably better for what you want. Will the Allroad do the job? Yes. Will the Tuareg do it better? Yes. Can you sleep in the back of the Tuareg? Don't know. I will find out if I win the lotto tonight, as I will have a diesel Tuareg in the driveway tomorrow!

motochain

Wanderer
I'd been looking into an Audi for quite some time before I had to come the the crushing truth that they develope MANY problems. The Audi has style, and function, but with all the electrical components strung throughout the car you're bound to run into electrical failures. AND if you are planning on driving it off the road, the problems will only come quicker and more frequently.

I read and read and read about Audi trying to make it make sense. I even ignored all of the user testimonials for months before finally coming to the conclusion that it wouldn't be worth the headache.

Can you find one that doesn't have any problems? Probably. But from what I understand it's not a WHAT IF, only WHEN..

After being an anti-Subaru person for some time, I've decided that'll probably be my next car. (I'm going to add a "NOBAMA" sticker to fit in with the crowd:victory:)

Superu

Explorer
Having owned and loved many Audis and having had very good luck with them well past 165k miles, I'd still recommend the Outback for what you have in mind.

Th Audi provides better fit and finish, a more luxurious feel and great looks IMHO, but for the money and the potential for expensive and time consuming repairs I'd have a hard time recommending Audi for the trip you have planned.

The 05-07 Outback XT's have 8.7" ground clearance stock and the 2.5 and 3.0 N/A models have 8.4". Add a slightly upsized Geolandar AT/S tire and you're good to go! I would also strongly suggest adding front and rear skidplates to the Outback. I have the 3/16" aluminum skidplates from Primitive and they are terrific.

AlexJet

Explorer
I didn't own Allroad or Outback or Cross Country, but drove all 3 of them for some time. My impressions were that Audi is a great car with allot of luxury - loved it. Volvo was always a style and had great height for fitting cargo. I didn't mentioned that amount of luxury as Audi, but it was designed like ther is nothing extra and everything you nee. Subaru was great, but I always had in impression that something is missing. Its nice style, but I was always find place I would of add a gauge, switch or something to fill it. It was simplicity. I think price is relating my findings. I'd say if you want luxury - get Audi, you want style - Volvo or you want work horse - Subaru. After all my experience I'd say all 3 are reliable and will do the work great, the difference is how would you feel when you'll finish your work and return home.

Scott Brady

Founder
We had an 02 Allroad with the 2.7 and 6spd manual. What a great car! We had zero issues with it in 4 years of ownership. And yes, we drove it hard, and fast, and off pavement.

I always thought it would be a sweet machine for Stephanie. Her G-Wagen is a bit overkill. . .

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
The 05-07 Outback XT's have 8.7" ground clearance stock and the 2.5 and 3.0 N/A models have 8.4". Add a slightly upsized Geolandar AT/S tire and you're good to go! I would also strongly suggest adding front and rear skidplates to the Outback. I have the 3/16" aluminum skidplates from Primitive and they are terrific.

What Superu didn't say (because its common-knowledge to Subaru guys), is that just about anything mechanical will bolt-on from one Subaru to another, if you have the right mix of parts.

I'm running 2005 Outback Sport springs on my 2002 WRX to get a small lift, for example. I'm also running the big 4-piston/2-piston brake kit from a 2006+ car, and all of these pieces would also have bolted to my 1998 (1st gen) 2.5RS.

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
I just bought an 04 Allroad and for the price I really like the car. On road at HWY speeds it is very smooth. It has alot of room. Gas mileage stinks though.
I have owned an Outback in the past and I would be more likely to take the Suby on more terrain because the audi has a certain "fragile" feel to it and repais are costly. The Suby just felt more solid on the dirt.

I would be interested in hearing if anyone has experience with aftermarket suspension on the Audi. I know there are some options out there that replace the airbags, but would like to know where those leave the car as far as ground clearance. If I could replace my airbags and have the car ride at level 3, I'd be game. From what I've read I think there would be tranny issues with this, but would like to see if anyone has more info?

Which AR did you get?
There are more issues w/ the slushbox, which is why a simple 6spd manual 2.7T is a good choice from a reliability standpoint, as well as power- it's a lot faster.

Overall, I was going to get the 4.2 b/c for a trip car I would want a slushbox.

Fabrication to put in coils is not that big a deal. But, again, it's a major commitment. Setting to the highest setting is not good b/c you will KILL your cv's and control arm bushings in no time- plus you would have no suspension travel.

A6 Avant coils might be something to look into. Not sure how extensive fabrication would be but I would guess quite extensive.

There is a distinction between unreliable and cost of maintenance.

Audi's are not hard to keep in good repair- if you know the cars-. If you send to mechanics/dealerships, yeah they will kill you. Audi's simply do not suffer procrastination.

The AR is different in that it will be costly no matter what and unreliable no matter what.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan