Audi allroad: Perfect Choice?

alexrex20

Explorer
we get the idea. you don't like the Allroad.

with that said, the opinions and testimonies from people that have actually OWNED one, weigh 100x more than yours.

Viggen

Just here...
Curious, so I did a little research about the Allroad Quattro.

All Allroad Quattro models include adjustable air suspension and full time all wheel drive. Transfer case with low range (1.54 ratio) was optional on models with 6 speed manual transmission. The turbo V6 is the same engine Audi offered in the hot rod S4 model.

There's a claim that Allroad Quattro is the only SUV based on a car platform that has completed the official Land Rover test course.

First generation (uses VW's C5 chassis)
2001-2005 in North America
2.7L twin turbo produces 247 hp and 258 lb·ft
6 speed manual or Tiptronic 5 speed automatic transmission
Torsen center differential
independent suspension front and rear
air suspension with 4 positions, 142 to 208 mm
17-inch, 5-arm alloy wheels, 7.5 inches wide
P225/55HR17 all season tires
payload 639 kg / 1400 lb

climate control air conditioning standard
12V socket in cargo area

electronic stability control
anti-lock braking system
electronic differential lock (individual wheel brakes limit wheel spin)
traction control

options
navigation system
TPMS
Bose stereo
acoustic parking system
leather seating
sunroof

Second generation (base on VW's C6 chassis)
2006-2008 in North America
3.2L turbo V6
4.2L V8
6 speed tiptronic automatic transmission
adjustable air suspension with 5 positions
slightly longer wheelbase

car-like competitors
Subaru Legacy Outback wagon
Volvo V70 Cross Country
Expensive repairs an issue. Audi sees itself as a luxury car company, and their dealers' parts and shop rates match this perception.
-Somewhere around 80,000 miles, one height adjustable air shock develops small leak, leads to air compressor running constantly trying to maintain ride height. Cost to repair $1000 each for shocks, $1000 for compressor. Maybe this is why I saw many Allroads with 75,000 miles offered for sale.
-Transmission mentioned needing replacement around 125,000 miles. Cost $4000.

Video:
Allroad on dirt roads in Utah
occasional use of front air dam as road grader
annoying mouth-breathing cameraman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJtdeOiR9ec
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnE58S7IDCQ

Allroad climbs ski slope farther than Nissan Patrol in German
maybe they forgot to lock the axles of the Patrol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zfKRdgoRo4

examples for sale March 3 2010

2001 Audi Allroad Quattro $13,700
2.7L turbo V6
53,000 miles
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=270966372

2002 Audi Allroad Quattro $12,000
2.7L turbo V6
premium package, sports package, navigation
77,800 miles
one owner California car
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=271838607

First, its allroad. It was never capitalized. Common mistake. Second, we only got the first gen, 2001 to 2005, in the US. Audi dropped it because it was unmarketable in the States. You couldnt tell if it was an SUV or a wagon. This was the time before "crossovers" were the big thing and, being said, it probably still wouldnt have sold well. No one wanted to buy a $48000 car that seemed like it couldnt make up its mind on what it was supposed to be. There was no low range available in the US ever. They discontinued it due to poor sales and all the expensive problems involved in their maintenance. The allroad still continues in Europe, however.

The allroad was my dream machine. Seriously, it was. I loved the looks, the comfort and luxury, the options and the capability of the vehicle. Found one in December of 08 for a great price. It was a fresh lease turn in at the Audi dealer, was the last year available (2005), 2.7T, tiptronic (last model years didnt have the trans failure issues due to a bad seal in the torque converter), rare color (super nice green with two tone green leather interior), fully loaded with only 28000 miles on it fresh off a lease turn in.

I drove it and was immediately in love. Sat down and demanded that the car be CPO and come with a full warranty before I even considered buying the wagon. They took it back, it passed Audis certification exceeding the standards required but the price jumped up $10k when it came out! I asked why and was told that Audi didnt feel comfortable offering it as a CPO because of all the known failures present in that particular model (and that was only for an extra two years of coverage that wasnt bumper to bumper with a mileage cap of 50K total). I was about to walk out but they offered me, for free, a third party warranty that was more complete and covered the car for three years and up to 75k miles. I was happy with the price and picked it up. Thats where the trouble began. Brake light switch failed (2x), it threw numerous check engine lights (secondary air pump among other electronic glitches), left me stranded on the side of the road twice due to electronic issues and coil pack failures (ask any VW owner about the quality of VW coilpacks...), and had constant air bag issues (controller was on the fritz allowing the air suspension pump to run all the time and eventually burn out although the dealer said this was "normal," among other issues). Luckily, the warranty company had no idea what an allroad was but they surely discovered the err of their ways and became close friends with my service mangler at the stealership and my account number. That car was constantly in the shop and every single time, it came out with an $800+ bill. All this was on a car that was barely 3 years old and less than 35000 miles! Within 6 months, the car was on the market and was hoping to get out of it as quickly as possible. Problem was, the car, like all allroads, depreciated like a stone dropped into an abyss, and there was no way to break even on it. After 4 months of actively selling, I found a buyer in NYC and drove up to deliver it from Washington, DC. I had no problem doing this as I was overjoyed to have the POS gone.Lost about $1500 bucks but it was totally worth it. Oh, also, due to its immense girth and weight, it ate through a set of Pirelli tires unbelievably fast along with a set of pads involving a set of four pads and tires all around just to pass inspection. These were all replaced at 20000 miles by the original lessee (remember I bought it at 28000 miles and sold it at around 35000).

It was a great idea. Its massive inside, very comfortable and luxurious, has a great engine (the 2.7T is smooth and powerful and more reliable in the bigger C5 chassis than the S4 due to more room for airflow into and around the engine bay), great but overly electronically controlled AWD system and a killer party trick suspension. The problem is, Audi failed on the design and final assembly/ parts selection and produced a headache on wheels that will raid your bank account faster than Jack Sparrow.

A mechanic, who specializes in VAG products, once told a friend of mine that there is a reason why these $50000+ cars sell for 50% less after only a couple of years. It was one of those, if you cant figure the end to that statement out yourself, youre a moron, sort of statements. You cant buy Filet Mignon on a ground beef budget. I bought mine knowing that they required a bit more maintaining than a normal car which is why I insisted upon an extended warranty.

IF(!) you decide to buy one, be ready for some serious costs. There is, to my knowledge, only one third party warranty company still willing to cover the car but the mileage/ year limit is very very strict and the cost is $3k+. There are aftermarket suspension options, well theres two. Arnott makes lifetime warranty airbags for cheaper than Audis replacements and there is a coilover suspension option available (but it isnt adjustable so that kills the point of the car). Everything else, is going to have to come from the stealership and it wont be inexpensive. These things are cheap for a reason.

I bought an 09 Outback Special edition with half the luxury but love it. Its reliable, tough, cheap to maintain, etc, etc, etc... Get an Outback and forget all about the allroad. I see them on the road around this area and when I do, there is no pain of regret at selling the car. I just move on by and wish the owner luck.

Last edited:

scottishpinz

Adventurer
It probably is not an option in USA but in Europe the Skoda Octavia Scout is a great car based "soft-roader" 4x4. I have one and find it a great everyday car with rough track capability. It has raised ground clearance but none of the fancy air springs to go wrong. The Scout also has underbody protection. Skoda ran a load of these through Russia on a Demo drive.

http://new.skoda-auto.com/com/model/octavia/scoutexperience/pages/scoutmission.aspx

Fuel consumption 2.0l Diesel is 45+ mpg (UK gal) so massive range of 500+ miles. At the end of the day different vehicles suit different needs, one is not necessarily better but different.

M.Bas

Adventurer
It probably is not an option in USA but in Europe the Skoda Octavia Scout is a great car based "soft-roader" 4x4. I have one and find it a great everyday car with rough track capability. It has raised ground clearance but none of the fancy air springs to go wrong. The Scout also has underbody protection. Skoda ran a load of these through Russia on a Demo drive.

http://new.skoda-auto.com/com/model/octavia/scoutexperience/pages/scoutmission.aspx

Fuel consumption 2.0l Diesel is 45+ mpg (UK gal) so massive range of 500+ miles. At the end of the day different vehicles suit different needs, one is not necessarily better but different.
The Yeti might be an option too.

eleblanc

Adventurer
Being a audi fan, owned one, i read the All road is not really realiable. IF you want to do it in a Audi, get a 1.8T A4 station, but you probably won't have enough space to sleep in it.

I didn't hear anyone suggest a Volvo station cross country 4wd?(i went throught the thread quickly) I would probably look for that before a Subaru.

01volvoxcountryawd.jpg

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
A4 Avant's are nice but too small for this kind of trip, imo. Although, if short enough, someone could possibly sleep in it.

The normal A6 or S6 Avant Quattro (which the Allroad is based on) would be a more reliable alternative without the offroad capability.

Volvo XC is interesting, don't know the reliablity of them. They look the part though.

Viggen

Just here...
Volvo XC is interesting, don't know the reliablity of them. They look the part though.

Read up on those too. They arent very much better actually. Their awd is slow to react and the traction control, on all but the newest, is not defeatable leading to traction issues.

If you are serious about this segment of the market, the only one to truly go for is the Outback.

greenmeanie

Adventurer
My wife has an 01 6 speed 2.7T allroad with winter package in AZ. To address some of the comments:
1. I can't understand why anyone would drive an auto so I'll leave it at that. The low box version was only offered in Europe.

2. The allroad is not a fast car off the line for drag racing. It is heavy and is geared incorrectly for launching. It does cruise really well. It comfortable, really stable and can hit the limiter with all the gear you see in the picture. It is much more stable than any SUV at speed. It is a great car for hauling across the SW then disappearing up some FS roads.

3. The suspension is not nearly the problem that many make out. The front airbags do tend to fail due to pin hole leaks where the lobe flexes. The simple $20 fix for this is to dump an 8oz bottle of slime in each bag. You don't even have to take the wheels off to do this.

The compressor is pretty naff in as much as one of the mounts causes the rivets on the end plate to fail over time. This results in the loud compressor so many complain about. The $20 fix is to replace the rivets with screws and give a shot of air tool oil in the intake and they quiet right back down.

High speed handling can be improved with a set of Hotchkiss sway bars but they do limit wheel travel somewhat.

4. Maintenance is like any complex turbocharged car. Use a good synthetic oil and change it every 5K miles. Keep on top of maintenance and it is a good reliable machine. Buy the VAGcom from Rosstech and you can talk to the computers and log data if you really want. If you do your own wrenching its not really that difficult or expensive a machine to look after. A lot of parts can be had a lot cheaper from VW dealers. There are some very good forums with very knowledgeable people who will help you out.

As other people have said it is a vehicle that requires your devotion but thats true of any great machine. Look after it and the rewards are great.

It will get you further than most might imagine but it is not going to compete with a real off road vehicle. It is a car with off road ability and not a truck.

We have had a lot of fun with ours and have not seen anything modern to replace it with. I am currently building the replacement but that is an entirely different type of machine.

Oh, you should be able to get into one for <$10K but like all modern used vehicles you must do your homework and choose carefully.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• allroad-sedona.jpg
    allroad-sedona.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 537
  • allroad-sunrise-07-small.jpg
    allroad-sunrise-07-small.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 528
  • allroad-bogged.jpg
    allroad-bogged.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 540

- GT Style -

We have an allroad w/ 6spd. That eliminates the transmission issues that folks have w/ the weak automatic.
Offroad it's great w/ some Yokohama Geolanders (had to go to 60 series vs 55, but that only puts speedo out slightly).

Overall could you build a better trail rig? Of course.
But for the odd excusion into the bush it's more then amazing considering it's on road capabilities also.

Jwestpro

Explorer
photo essay ;)

I love our 08 S4 Avant and wouldn't drive an automatic if you gave me one, the 6mt is just too fun and simple to maintain long term. The quattro system on the later model is so amazing with it's 4:1 bias and the comfort and feel are incredible, the sound of the v8 with the full APR exhaust just purrs.
NC-WA-NC%20sept%2009_MG_1583.jpg

Ever since when I was 10 and my mom's '63 GMC suburban lost the brakes going down a hill, I've believed solidly in manual trans when possible, it's the only thing that could have saved us without issue. She just ground down through the gears and used the e-brake at the end.

So, I had, and often lament my decision to trade away, an 06 or 07, now I forget, Outback LBean 3.0R vdc...etc. Black and loaded. I even bought a matching 17" rim and tire, deflated to fit in the spare hole, and had an air compressor along. Got the windows tinted for privacy and heat reduction...and for some reason bought a bmw 328it6 sportwagon 8 months later (VERY FUN, but dumb, that's another story)
_X3D6243-328fr.rt.high.jpg

I loved that Subaru and don;t really know what came over me, it was also related to a new girlfriend, so who knows what my brain was cooking up.

Now, a few cars later, we have had the 08 s4 avant and I have slept in it on two coast to coast trips. I am 5-11 but do like to stretch out strait, so it's fairly easy if you set up the passenger side of the rear with the passenger seat aligned with the B pillar. This also allows a LOT of cargo space in the 2nd row passenger side footwell which is a great place for any heavy stuff like my cycling tool box, gallon of water, coleman stove, etc.

I don't know what the heck you people are talking about traveling alone and having to pull all your gear to make space?!!! One person only needs but so much and I'm the one who brings way too much! However, I resort to a cargo box on the roof with lots of bulky crap but I do have an ARB 40L freezer fridge in the very back of the cargo area on the driver side.

I flatten only the wider "60" portion of the back seat leaving the 40 portion up to both provide safety against the tied down fridge but also opens up the back seat section for 1 plastic bin of clothes/whatever, with a bike gear bag sitting on top of that, still allowing room between it and the ceiling for a random jacket, cloth snack bag hanging from the hand pull above the door via small strap and clip etc.

Head room is where the A6 cars would have space I'd appreciate, although they are of course slightly wider and longer by 6" or so.

However, my preference was a manual fast car and my now fiance didn't want to go as "big" as the a6,s6,allroad cars. Those and the xc70 are practically suvs in terms of city parking, and over handling feel compared to the s4.

Now however.....we wish the s4 could "go more places"......and I've been looking at allroads. HA!. I had never realized you could buy an older one on the cheap, spend about $10k -$15k to turn it into a beast, replace with the best Arnots made, practically rebuild the engine, put in better clutch, basically adding 100k of reliability to it for much less than the new s4 cost me.

Then again, once I consider the allroad, a small suv like the v6 tdi Touareg with about 30 mpg on the highway sure is appealing. The clearance is 12" with air suspension and bigger tires and the fuel range is amazing.
v10.bfg.lr.jpg

However, the allroad has considerably more lengthwize space than the Touareg. The treg is taller inside, but amazingly, not by much! The treg can tow over 7000 lbs no problem though. pros and cons.

Overall, I miss the LLBean Outback!
subaru-sunset1.jpg

LRNAD90

Adventurer
I love our 08 S4 Avant and wouldn't drive an automatic if you gave me one, the 6mt is just too fun and simple to maintain long term. The quattro system on the later model is so amazing with it's 4:1 bias and the comfort and feel are incredible, the sound of the v8 with the full APR exhaust just purrs.

Ever since when I was 10 and my mom's '63 GMC suburban lost the brakes going down a hill, I've believed solidly in manual trans when possible, it's the only thing that could have saved us without issue. She just ground down through the gears and used the e-brake at the end.

So, I had, and often lament my decision to trade away, an 06 or 07, now I forget, Outback LBean 3.0R vdc...etc. Black and loaded. I even bought a matching 17" rim and tire, deflated to fit in the spare hole, and had an air compressor along. Got the windows tinted for privacy and heat reduction...and for some reason bought a bmw 328it6 sportwagon 8 months later (VERY FUN, but dumb, that's another story)

I loved that Subaru and don;t really know what came over me, it was also related to a new girlfriend, so who knows what my brain was cooking up.

Now, a few cars later, we have had the 08 s4 avant and I have slept in it on two coast to coast trips. I am 5-11 but do like to stretch out strait, so it's fairly easy if you set up the passenger side of the rear with the passenger seat aligned with the B pillar. This also allows a LOT of cargo space in the 2nd row passenger side footwell which is a great place for any heavy stuff like my cycling tool box, gallon of water, coleman stove, etc.

I don't know what the heck you people are talking about traveling alone and having to pull all your gear to make space?!!! One person only needs but so much and I'm the one who brings way too much! However, I resort to a cargo box on the roof with lots of bulky crap but I do have an ARB 40L freezer fridge in the very back of the cargo area on the driver side.

I flatten only the wider "60" portion of the back seat leaving the 40 portion up to both provide safety against the tied down fridge but also opens up the back seat section for 1 plastic bin of clothes/whatever, with a bike gear bag sitting on top of that, still allowing room between it and the ceiling for a random jacket, cloth snack bag hanging from the hand pull above the door via small strap and clip etc.

Head room is where the A6 cars would have space I'd appreciate, although they are of course slightly wider and longer by 6" or so.

However, my preference was a manual fast car and my now fiance didn't want to go as "big" as the a6,s6,allroad cars. Those and the xc70 are practically suvs in terms of city parking, and over handling feel compared to the s4.

Now however.....we wish the s4 could "go more places"......and I've been looking at allroads. HA!. I had never realized you could buy an older one on the cheap, spend about $10k -$15k to turn it into a beast, replace with the best Arnots made, practically rebuild the engine, put in better clutch, basically adding 100k of reliability to it for much less than the new s4 cost me.

Then again, once I consider the allroad, a small suv like the v6 tdi Touareg with about 30 mpg on the highway sure is appealing. The clearance is 12" with air suspension and bigger tires and the fuel range is amazing.

However, the allroad has considerably more lengthwize space than the Touareg. The treg is taller inside, but amazingly, not by much! The treg can tow over 7000 lbs no problem though. pros and cons.

Overall, I miss the LLBean Outback!

I know, I'm really digging up an old thread, but I've got to tell you, your post speaks to me, and makes me realize there are others out there as 'off their rocker' as I am, LOL!

I've always harbored a love for the Audi allroad, with a 6mt (I really dislike driving automatics, I don't care if you can support their superiority in any situation or not, I hate them), and the 'pumped up' wagon with a twin turbo six and 6 speed manual was heaven (at least on paper, and in styling) in my eyes..

I own an '05 Outback Wagon (5mt thank you) now as my daily driver, and I like it, but I still lust after the allroad. If it were not for that shred of common sense that holds me back, I'd probably have sold the Outback and bought an older allroad, but I did my research talked to owners, and read the horror stories (over and over again), and just couldn't make the leap..

For what its worth (probably nothing at this point), I'd warn the Original Poster away from taking an allroad on such a journey as well, but I'm not an owner, so take it with a grain of salt. For that matter, I wouldn't own a Volvo XC either, between the lack of available manual transmission, and mickey mouse (its my opinion, sorry) Haldex awd system, it wouldn't even be in the running..

P.S. -- Don't bother tracking down your old Outback, just go find another one, this time an XT (250 hp turbo) with a Manual gearbox. I wish I had bought an XT, but at the time it didn't make sense (the car was originally my wife's baby mobile), hind sight is always 20/20, isn't it?

Bikemobile

Adventurer
I had a 2005 outback. Smooth, quiet, 30 mpg on the highway. It also took me to some places high in the rockies. I sold it to get out from under the payment. I would buy another in a heartbeat.

solidjon

I'd certainly give it the thumbs up.

Hi folks,
I just came upon this forum by accident whilst trying to find a company that does custom snorkels for my Audi Allroad 2.7T. Anyway I must say that my Allroad has given me headaches over the past 3 years, but on reflection it is the most versatile, comfy, and I would have to say my favourite car I have owned.

I must agree with several posts I have read on here of the suspension issues. They are major problems when they raise their ugly heads. I'm in the UK and to replace one air bladder would be approx. £800, approx. $1400, yes folks, we get charged crazy prices over here. I eventually found better and cheaper ones over your side of the pond, care of Arnott Industries and replaced both the front and rear with the billeted aluminium units that come with a lifetime warranty, I also replaced the compressor unit with a German AMK longlife compressor, it is an improvement over the original one that Audi use, and not much of a price difference too. At the same time when I got the suspension sorted out I had a set of Hotchkiss Sport anti roll bars fitted, WOW what a difference this car is now, it goes round bends as flat as a pancake, rather than the usual roll you would get out of the factory, I can truly say that these should be on every Allroad owners shopping list. For their price the reward is most certainly worth it.

Recently I have had a full service on the car including a cam belt change (Gates Racing). This is extra peace of mind as I know it won't need doing for another 300,000 miles. The rubber hoses have been replaced by a set of Samco hoses and Bi Pipes replaced by a set of the ceramic coated stainless steel ones from 034 motorsport, the air filter is a Maxogen foam type, which increases surface air intake by quite a bit so improves air flow. The next thing on my shopping list will be the Evolution Raceworks intercoolers, and then a custom 3" stainless steel exhaust including downpipes and 200 cell performance cats, this will help get the car breathing and performing at it's best without doing any major engine modifications.

Considering I purchased the car in its 9th year with almost 100,000 miles on the clock for just under £5000 and I've probably spent as much on the car as what I purchased it for, then for £10,000 I think it's a nice car. Considering some people go out and spend the same amount on a new Ford or Vauxhall in the UK and in my mind they are not half the car the Allroad is. The Allroad has a presence on the road that no other car I've driven has. It not only gives the driver a wonderful sense of feeling safe and secure due to it's solid build quality, but the torsen diff quattro system, (the proper one) gives the driver confidence in it's sure footedness on the road in all conditions.

I know you guys on here were discussing the idea of whether it was the ideal vehicle to do an off road expedition or not, and other vehicles were advised on, but I can tell you that it was done by a British couple. I remember reading an article in Audi Driver magazine about a couple who had driven off road through the South America for their 25th wedding anniversary holiday. It was in the early days of the Allroad, as it came out over here in 2000. I've also heard of it being taken on the Paris Dakar rally, which is an extremely gruelling test for any vehicle. So in answer to would it be a suitable vehicle for an off road expedition, well I say the proof is in the pudding, and with the Allroad's past history I 'd have to say YES.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior