Base Camp trailer for sale on Ebay

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Saw this over on mud... don't know if anyones posted it here yet....

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...017QQitemZ270228956773QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Here's the North American dist. website... http://www.conquerorcampers.com/

Has anyone dealt with or seen these in person? They look pretty nice actually.

Looks like they possibly have the drawer i wanted on my AT...... so you dont have to lean in to get your junk out..

06.jpg

Check out the silverware holder on the door.. pretty slick
03.jpg

Few more pics
http://www.overland.co.za/Packing_Systems/Greg_Mollink/index.html

Last edited:

Bergger

Explorer
I've never see that before. That is really a nice looking camper. From the dealers site it looks like they have a few models. Priced nicely also, 11-14k. Of course I have no idea how decent they are and what type of customer support you'd be getting. But they look promising.

i was in south africa last summer and got to look at all the models available. nicest off road trailers ive ever seen. the designing and thought that went into these trailers is un real

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
1950 and 1600 lb DRY weight for the two sizes. Little heavier then I expected. Isn't that about double an AT Chaser with tent?

Pete

Bergger

Explorer
mountainpete said:
1950 and 1600 lb DRY weight for the two sizes. Little heavier then I expected. Isn't that about double an AT Chaser with tent?

Pete

No. A fully optioned Chaser, tent, water tank, batteries, fuel cans, fridge ect is in the area of 1200-1300lbs. These kind of remind me of the Campa Trailers. A lot of the same features.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Conqueror used to be sold by Safari Trailers out of the San Franciso Bay area. Then if memory serves me right they changed dealers to the people in Atlanta. I think they run a Lexus dealership there.

I heard from people over the years that there were some trailer there.

Nothing really materialized with Larry's, the dealerships owner, dream of selling hundreds of trailers, and now he's may be moving what's left of his stock on e bay.

It's a nice trailer if your running small tires. Solid axle with mechanical surge brakes, a 50 mm ball. The dome tent has to be built on the roof platform, and from what I remember from Safari Trailers setting it up at shows it's quite a job.

The trailer is heavy, I'd expect it to be heavier than the stated weight. South African weight regulations are somewhat different than those in the US.

The trailer might go for a low price as it was imported when the Rand was ZAR 11.00 to the US$

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Bergger said:
No. A fully optioned Chaser, tent, water tank, batteries, fuel cans, fridge ect is in the area of 1200-1300lbs. These kind of remind me of the Campa Trailers. A lot of the same features.

You're comparing a dry weight to wet though... Remove the fridge and any liquids. 200 lbs worth maybe?

Pete

Gregny

Adventurer
I do like it... But I like all off road trailers LOL. I also agree it resembles the Campa concept. I wonder what the reserve on Ebay is set at?

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Im trying to figure out why we don't see more of these around?? The AT's are so popular you'd think these would be too. Just cause they may be heavier and a tad slower on the trailer.. doesnt make them non-usable. Not everyone needs to do 50mph across wash board roads. IMHO i think they have some very well thoughout pieces that i wish my Horizon had. With the pricing being "comparable" and with people in the Expedition/Overland world not being 'complete penney pinchers' i don't understand why there not everywhere.

Martyn

Conqueror trailers are one of the more expensive trailers made in South Africa. If my hunch is correct and the USA Conquerors are the remains of the trailers imports some time ago when the Rand was 11 or 11.5 to the dollar then at today's prices just based on the exchange rate you'd have a 36% increase in price. During this time the price of steel has also gone up 50%

Add to that the cost of freight, shipping, insurance, tax, bond etc plus a mark up for the importer and it becomes an expensive proposition.

May be Spike can provide us with some South African pricing on these units, Safari Center in Goodwood stocks them. From that price I could extrapolate what they would cost here in North America today.

Martyn said:
Conqueror trailers are one of the more expensive trailers made in South Africa. If my hunch is correct and the USA Conquerors are the remains of the trailers imports some time ago when the Rand was 11 or 11.5 to the dollar then at today's prices just based on the exchange rate you'd have a 36% increase in price. During this time the price of steel has also gone up 50%

Add to that the cost of freight, shipping, insurance, tax, bond etc plus a mark up for the importer and it becomes an expensive proposition.

May be Spike can provide us with some South African pricing on these units, Safari Center in Goodwood stocks them. From that price I could extrapolate what they would cost here in North America today.

I talked to the larry (the trailer guy) and hes stll bringing them over so its not a liquidation, he talked about the weak doller thus the prices do go up but he can get any of the models in 90-120 days. The supra being about $17,500. They want money up front however.

really nice trailers

Martyn

lx450landcruiser said:
I talked to the larry (the trailer guy) and hes stll bringing them over so its not a liquidation, he talked about the weak doller thus the prices do go up but he can get any of the models in 90-120 days. The supra being about $17,500. They want money up front however.

really nice trailers

OK, so they are not carrying stock, and are ordering single trailers from South Africa. All the money up front! Looks like the market is very weak for these trailers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior