Best Awning?

concretejungle

Adventurer
Can you do me a favor?!

Can you open the tailgate hatch on the 80 series land cruiser with the foxwing awning extended and snap a few pics so i can see how he hatch hits the awning? I have been contemplating getting a foxwing but i have new lift struts on the hatch and i'm worried it's really going to hit the awning. But maybe it won't be too bad.

Right now i have the ARB, and i do like it, but it is a bit of a bear to set up alone and take down alone.

Thanks!!

XVENTURE TRAILERS

Supporting Sponsor - XVENTURE Trailers
For a straight out rectangular awning the ARB is definitely the best value on the market today. It's has the largest coverage and the best selection of accessories compared to any other awning of this type. The Awning Room add on shown here is an exceptional value at under $269 and offers a completely enclosed 7x7x7 foot ground quarters with a sealed floor. Another great feature of the ARB products is that they have been Flame Retardant Approved.

XV-1A Awning and Fire.jpg

ARB Awning Room-1.jpg

XV-1A Kit.jpg

ARB Awning Room-2.jpg

Last edited:

XVENTURE TRAILERS

Then there's the Rhino Rack Foxwing, which is by far the awning to own under $800. No other awning product in this price range on the market at this time will provide you with this much versatility or shelter. If any of you follow me out there you know what a big fan I am of the propane fire ring and how in conjunction with the Foxwing and Tapered Extension Panels will provide a heated outdoor space when its downright freezing as well as eliminate mosquitos from your base camp in the summer.

Additionally the Tapered Extension Panels will block the wind when positioned correctly which for me is essential when camping especially near water.

The key with the Rhino Rack Foxwing is the Tapered Extension Panels and single person set-up, which virtually no other awning has available. You can even add up to 4 of these panels to the awning to create a very enclosed space rivaling a ground tent if you are using the awning on a vehicle.

Awning Under.jpg

Awning Back.jpg

Ladder-1.jpg

Night Base Camp.jpg

Scheblys 2015-2.jpg

Foxwing Awning No Extensions.jpg

Foxwing Awning No Extensions-2.jpg

Foxwing with Extensions.jpg

Foxwing Aerial1.jpg

XVENTURE TRAILERS

You can not use a 270 degree awning on a vehicle with a hatch-back style rear door. In this case you need to use a straight-out awning and can only shade the side of the vehicle.

concretejungle

Adventurer
That's what i was worried about. I don't want my hatch beating the crap out of the foxwing.

Is the foxwing the same material as the ARB awnings?

XVENTURE TRAILERS

Yes it is. Might be a little different but both use excellent rip-stop material with taped seams. Just different colors between the two brands.

I mounted a Foxwing on my 01 Suburban with mini-van-rear-door and I can open the door 2/3rds of the way to get access to the fringe and drawers. But I have to stoop down to get under it. Not ideal. The straight-out awning is the way to go on that type of vehicle rear door. Which is a real bummer because the 270 Degree awning is sooo much better. After using the Foxwing 270 degree awning on our XVENTURE most of the last 2 seasons I can hardly get used to the difference between going to a straight-out rectangular awning for the primary base camp.

Its important to note that on the Suburban the hatch does not in any way "beat the crap" out of the section over the hatch door, not ever a little, it just doesn't allow the hatch to open all the way up.

This would be a non-issue on a JK, FJ, etc.

Last edited:

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
attachment.php

What awning is this? Hannibal Spyder?

concretejungle

Adventurer
Thank you for that response Markimus, that's exactly what i needed to hear. I guess reluctantly i'll shelf the idea of swapping the ARB out for a Foxwing... darn.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I have the ARB I like the fact I can open and close it easily by one person. The construction is good and very durable for the areas I frequent. I wanted a awning with a hard shell for its smaller size but after 1 year of abuse with my ARB a hard shell would of been destroyed. I have had problems with the seem tape delaminating and water leaking but ARB was quick to replace it at no charge.

Does make it nice when your friends use the same awning and you can group them together.

Attachments

• 10-31-2014 379.jpg
    10-31-2014 379.jpg
    512.3 KB · Views: 100

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior