carts

Adventurer
Western Australia

I put up my place of residence as best place to live
that being Western Australia
Perth is the capital
why??
Most isolated capital city in the world
second largest country sub-division covering 976790 sq mi of land and 44687 sq mi of water
largest coastline
2.6 mil people inhabit the area
climate hot to dame hot

I also make my suggestion for worst place to live if I may

Perth is the capital
why??
second largest country sub-division covering 976790 sq mi of land and 44687 sq mi of water
largest coastline
climate hot to dame hot
:)
thanks Carts from WA

Scott H Murray

Adventure Photog
I put up my place of residence as best place to live
Perth is the capital
why??
largest coastline
climate hot to dame hot

I also make my suggestion for worst place to live if I may

Perth is the capital
why??
largest coastline
climate hot to dame hot
:)
thanks Carts from WA

You never mentioned the crappy drivers or traffic ;) I used to live in Perth and am originally from WA.

carts

Adventurer
You never mentioned the crappy drivers or traffic ;) I used to live in Perth and am originally from WA.

To true
bad drivers, city has poor road design, as is the public transport, expensive beer, no cultural life for a dame (no opera house no broad way and limited art works), white history of less than 200 years, crocks in the north with big sharks in the south, snakes every were and almost too meany dame people (ok 2.6 mil isn't much but hay).

But I can catch a fish, have a surf, take a leak in the bush without being seen, find a track that hasn't seen a car for almost 20years, drive for 4000 km with out crossing a boarder, camp for 6 months with out seeing another person and we have over 60000 years of indigenous history.

the NT is the next best!! close run third is Peru and Canada
Its all perspective and I would never rain on any ones home town. If you did that why would you travel?

home is a great place to leave and an awesome place to come back to!!!!

cheers
Carts from WA

psykokid

Explorer
I just read all your posts and have heard of every big city you all have talked about. Not many have talked about small towns in the mid west. I live in the town of Dittmer, Mo. @500 people, give or take. We have to go to the next town over for gas or food, but do have a post office. It's a place where you know your neighbors and people still stop if they see you walking down the road, wanting to help. We pull over and take off our hats when a funeral goes by. Have plenty of good water, too. No drive by shootings or gangs, leave that in St. Louis. There's a lot to be said for small towns, boring to some, but we it like just fine. One thing for sure, you don't have to keep an eye on your kids playing in the field.

On another note, I wouldn't want to be in a big city when the lights go out, even for a week or two.

Hahaha.. I know right where Dittmer is! I grew up in Jefferson County and lived there until about 20 years ago.. We moved around a lot when I was a kid - Sometimes we lived in "town" (Festus / Crystal City, Hillsboro, Desoto) as well as out in the middle of no where (Mapaville, Victoria, Fountain City, Hematite, Plattin) I like to come back and visit occasionally to see friends and family, but I'll always hang my hat on the west coast. Beaches, Mountains, and Deserts with tons of places to explore..

Right now we're in the Pasadena area.. Expensive as hell but meh, we're only bound to this area of the west coast till the kids are out of school. I like the fact that I can get up in the morning and go hiking up in the mountains before work and not have it be a big odyssey.

Thon

I don't know if it's the "best place to live" but i'm happy with where I am.

I live in an area of the UK called Salisbury Plain. A large chunk of it is a military training area which has been owned by the Ministry of Defence for over a century.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salisbury_Plain

What it means to me is that I have direct access to a huge number of byways within metres of my house, and when I say a huge number, this is by UK standards, where our rights to access trails by vehicle have been massively eroded over the last 2 decades due to a combination of aggressive lobbying by pressure groups representing other countryside users (walkers mainly) and inexcusable irresponsible overuse by a small number of cretins.

I also get to see a lot of military activity from air or land, and even more occasionally are visited by some special people in RWMIK+ Defenders: -

http://www.eliteukforces.info/uksf-gear/wmik/

IMG-20160131-WA0023.jpg

I have great access to main roads and can be at Heathrow Airport in 90 minutes, the Dorset coast in 90 minutes and one of the most historically-interesting cities (Salisbury) in 30 minutes.

England is such a different proposition to the U.S as we are tiny by comparison, but for me my quality of life has never been higher.

Mx468

Observer
So, I'm curious why do you love where you live?

I like my city (Louisville, KY), it's where I grew up, family is here, it's very affordable, we get an equal dose of all four seasons, we have lots of parks, an urban forest, trails for mountain biking/hiiking/running right in the city, great restaurants, the Ohio River, cool neighborhoods and architecture, decent employment, and we are centrally located.

But, we don't have mountains, desert, or oceans, a strong culture of adventure, etc.

I have always wanted to move out west, so I'm curious what everyone else thinks. With young kids, schools are obviously important to me. And, since it's cheap to live in Louisville, it would be hard to move anywhere with a cost of living way more than here ... I'm not ruling out high cost of living places because I believe it would be worth the extra expense to live somewhere that shares the same passions for life, culture, and outdoor adventure as me.

The most difficult pill to swallow is increased real estate costs - we have very affordable housing in Louisville.

Just wondering if I should change my stars ... Cheers!

I was out there in Louisville back in 2009, I was on the show Ghost Hunter's Academy Season 2 and we investigated Waverly Hills Sanatorium. Cool place and fun times there! :) We actually stayed at The Sheraton located on the Ohio river. I currently live in Newport, Rhode Island, smallest state in the country. I love it here and we are easily accessible to the Cape, New York, Ct, Maine, Vermont, plenty of trails and I do love the seasons. Plenty of surf, beaches, festivals, history, great seafood and offroad trails here. :)

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I live here 2 miles from here:

image.jpg1_zpsi9lmwqk7.jpg

I work here:

image.jpg1_zpswaqqqfyh.jpg

But I love it here:

image.jpg3_zpstjbc36it.jpg

I've lived a lot of places, and travelled to Australia, South America, North Africa, all over Europe and North America. I just can't pick one place to call home!

Flazer

Observer
It depends on perspective. I grew up near Sacramento, and lived there for most of my life. Moved to Nevada (Reno) for grad school, and fell in love with the mountains, open space, desert, and slower pace of life compared to CA. We now live in Elko, because of my job. Elko is a small town in its own bubble. Low education, high wages and you have a mix for problems. We're currently looking to move back to Reno in a couple years, or Oregon (Medford area). Best of luck.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Centaura

Most Expensive Countries in the World?

Well, i was just researching a bit regarding which is the most expensive countries to visit and the data that i got was really fascinating and very much surprising. I was quite shocked to see that how a country like US didn't even made it to the top 20 countries of the world. And the much more fascinating data that i saw was how well the countries like Hongkong ,Switzerland etc have made it to the list and how well is there GDP & Per ca-pita income.

what's your take on these guys?????

sydneyman

Observer
post the list. not quite sure what you mean by expensive. Manhattan is going to be more expensive than Huntsville. 'merica is a big place.

maxingout

Adventurer
I went to medical school at the University of Louisville, and Kentucky is a pretty state. That being said, I live in Phoenix which has lots of opportunities for off-road adventures within 5 hours travel in all directions. If money was no object, I would live in Southern Utah six months a year, and the rest of the time in Phoenix. Since money is an object, I drive to southern Utah in about six hours from Phoenix.

I was born and raised in Southern Mississippi. It's pretty great as far as cost of living, cuisine, etc. The people are very kind, the pace of life is slow and, i dare to say, pleasant. We're close to Louisiana, so the fishing and boating are decent. Florida is about 2.5 hours away, so there are acceptable places to dive. But there are exactly zero rocks, mountains, or clear bodies of water. A third of the year is spent with temperatures in the 90's, and humidity hovers around 90% all year. And the worst part is that there aren't that many jobs in my field.

I did take a trip from MS, through Louisiana, Arkansas, Texas, New Mexico, touched Colorado, and into Arizona. I COMPLETELY fell in love with the mountains and the desert. Stayed a few days in Flagstaff and was so amazed by it. I'll be graduating college in may with a physics degree, and my girlfriend and I are looking to find somewhere to go. I would move to Flagstaff if there were jobs. I have to consider that she has a horse though, which complicates matters.

GFA

Adventurer
Living in Raleigh, NC currently which is great for business and healthcare and decent for cost of living. It's 2 hours the beaches and 3 hours to the mountains so it's actually a pretty ideal place to live yet I hate it here and I've lived here 35yrs. The small town of Cary and others that surround Raleigh have become too crowded with those who think they are the best thing to ever happen to mankind. The social stigma is unbelievable around here anymore as we've been flooded with New Yorkers and Californians who want to make it like "home". Our traffic has become ridiculous mainly from lack of decent planning so at times those quick trips to the mountains or beach can nearly double time wise. But, I'm stuck here. Never had a college education yet have been very successful as a custom home builder (but I hate my freaking line of work too) so it would be very hard for me to find work with a decent wage elsewhere. I'm persuing other career options but it's a tough decision to start a new career that will likely pay 1/4 of what I make currently at nearly 40yrs old. If I didn't have 3 kids to worry about we'd sell it all and pack it up and out but their well being takes precedence.

Places I'd like to live given the choice? Theres several but the top of my list would be SW Colorado or maybe Bozeman, MT. Ultimately I'm sure I'll spend my working days here regretfully, and if it goes the way my wife would like, I'll retire my winters to SW Florida and my summers to the St Lawrence river in Upstate NY, not too shabby I guess...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998