Best sturdy camp table?

Dave in AZ

I am looking for something like Alu-Cab table, that I can store up under the overhang on my pickup bed camper. Needs foldable legs, but top can be up to 55" x 30" without folding. Want sturdy.

Does anything compare to the Alucab table, any normal plastic banquet tables super sturdy but light?

86scotty

Cynic
I really hate it when a recommendation is asked for and someone gives an answer totally opposite of what was asked for but I'm going to do so here with an explanation. I hope you find what you're looking for but if you don't I'll throw out my favorite all time camp table. It doesn't store flat and it's not light but it is amazing.

Alps Mountaineering guide table

Seems to be out of stock at several places which means it may be out of stock everywhere but it might be worth checking out. It has impressively adjustable legs and feet which are great for off-grid, off level use. Sets up at 3 levels and my favorite part almost is that the top velcros on and can be removed and used as a tailgate top to cook on. It's the perfect size for a full size tailgate and vinyl coated for easy cleanup. Careful with stove heat though.

Anyway, yeah I realize it isn't what you are after but it is a great table.

g_m

I am looking for something like Alu-Cab table, that I can store up under the overhang on my pickup bed camper. Needs foldable legs, but top can be up to 55" x 30" without folding. Want sturdy.

Does anything compare to the Alucab table, any normal plastic banquet tables super sturdy but light?
We use a small ironing board.

WanderingBison

We have the large camping table from MEC (the Canadian REI) which folds to nothing, has adjustable legs and is very light weight.

Sometimes the legs get sand in the adjustment tracks which make it a little more painful, but otherwise it’s the perfect table.

I suspect this is made by a supplier for MEC and others will also sell it, most often REI.

80cc59155be71667ab0b87500d83b68d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Another vote for the plastic banquet table, although I have occasionally considered replacing mine with a stainless version from commercial restaurant supply. They are hard to find, but stainless folding tables are out there.

ChasingOurTrunks

I can provide some feedback on our experience.

We have a Cabelas branded aluminum rolling table. It's super light and folds down small, but while it's supposed to have adjustable legs, they do not positively "lock in" - they just use a plastic nut that you tighten which cams down on the leg, but the plastic is light and cheap and it doesn't grip well enough. So, by the time you finish cooking, the table has sunk down a bit - especially a problem if it's only one leg that sinks as stuff on the table will tip. Moreover, it wasn't that sturdy.

More recently we went with a simple 4 foot banquet table from Costco (Note - that link is for a 2 pack, actual price was much lower). It requires flat ground, but it is way more stable than the aluminum one. Way cheaper, too.

The MEC one looks promising - and they are on sale right now.

Dave in AZ

Another vote for the plastic banquet table, although I have occasionally considered replacing mine with a stainless version from commercial restaurant supply. They are hard to find, but stainless folding tables are out there.
Thanks! Yeah, spent an hour looking at them yestersay online. None of their legs nestle, they all lay on each other making it not fold up thin. Only Alucab table out of 40 I looked at had legs that fit inside each other. Thus this thread ;)

Dave in AZ

I can provide some feedback on our experience.

We have a Cabelas branded aluminum rolling table. It's super light and folds down small, but while it's supposed to have adjustable legs, they do not positively "lock in" - they just use a plastic nut that you tighten which cams down on the leg, but the plastic is light and cheap and it doesn't grip well enough. So, by the time you finish cooking, the table has sunk down a bit - especially a problem if it's only one leg that sinks as stuff on the table will tip. Moreover, it wasn't that sturdy.

More recently we went with a simple 4 foot banquet table from Costco (Note - that link is for a 2 pack, actual price was much lower). It requires flat ground, but it is way more stable than the aluminum one. Way cheaper, too.

The MEC one looks promising - and they are on sale right now.
This looks decent with the legs adjusting short so it folds compact, thx! 21 lbs vs 16 isn't too bad, will take a look!

tall

Every time I see that table I get so annoyed. Not because of the table, but because I found one at a "free" moving sale that they were using to display other items. The sale-people people said I could have it but asked it I'd come back in a couple hours later and got it after it was cleared off. I showed up 90 minutes later and it was gone. "oh, that's right you were coming back. Sorry we forgot." Arghhhh! (on the other hand, my son got a laser printer out of the deal so I can't complain too much. But I figured you guys would relate).

XJLI

Adventurer
I have that one from Home Depot. Folds in half, adjustable height. I wish it went a little bit lower, so it would be perfect for my kids to sit at with their kid size chairs. I'm just going to drill another set of detent holes in it for this year, so, easy fix.

tall

I have that one from Home Depot. Folds in half, adjustable height. I wish it went a little bit lower, so it would be perfect for my kids to sit at with their kid size chairs. I'm just going to drill another set of detent holes in it for this year, so, easy fix.
This won't help with lowering, but for dealing with uneven ground, some PVC pipe adjustable leg extenders would be good.
1707507739180.png
See this highlighted section of this video for more details.

Ideally, I'd love to DIY version like this one, but I can't figure out his source for hardware.
1707507827076.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior