Best sturdy camp table?

86scotty

Cynic
I am looking for something like Alu-Cab table, that I can store up under the overhang on my pickup bed camper. Needs foldable legs, but top can be up to 55" x 30" without folding. Want sturdy.

Does anything compare to the Alucab table, any normal plastic banquet tables super sturdy but light?

I've been thinking more on your idea since it's an idea I've had ever since I bought a Super Pacific shell for my former Tundra Crewmax. This, IMO, was misengineered to account for the sharkfin antenna that few Tundras have, meaning the manufacturer err'd on the side of the sharkfin people and left a huge gap between roof and top which I hated from day one. And that was just looking at it. The added resistance and noise made it much worse than the look. One big reason I sold it.

Anyway, I guess I couldn't help but ********** about that a minute, but there is no better place to put a table if you have a truck and overhang. I would consider piecing one together that perfectly fits the space. That was my plan. I think the frame from one of these aforementioned tables would work great and just sacrifice the top or repurpose it. Still worth it. Personally I think an L bracket setup hanging all the way across the roof (underside of top) and TWO tabletops would be the ticket. Each could be 3'x3' easily and slide in/out from either side with a pin to lock them in. Seems to me like vibration mitigation would be a battle but a winnable one.

Screenshot 2024-02-11 at 9.26.09 AM.png

highwest

My experience: I mostly use the 4ft Lifetime folding table, it’s cheap, light, folds pretty small, and is easy to setup. The 6ft one is even easier to setup, but it’s too big to pack for us.

I also have a TravelChair Grand Canyon table (similar to the Alps) that only comes out when we need a lot of flat space. It’s very light and compact for packing, but its setup/takedown time/effort are on another level from the basic plastic folding tables.

If cost, packing size, and weight were lesser priorities, I would be looking at the Frontrunner table, the folding stainless steel tables meant for river running (NRS, Partner Steel, Salamander, etc), or a folding stainless steel table from a restaurant supply place.

chet6.7

Explorer
c3d07685-1aa3-4da2-81cf-5b8bad01fda9_1.e0753c12195cfe54ce7bb558c321d9aa.jpeg-dd7f861390cb5a7a12ca1020a3ff30edc3b3d147-legacy-q85.jpg

Far from perfect, but it is what I use.

Dave in AZ

I've been thinking more on your idea since it's an idea I've had ever since I bought a Super Pacific shell for my former Tundra Crewmax. This, IMO, was misengineered to account for the sharkfin antenna that few Tundras have, meaning the manufacturer err'd on the side of the sharkfin people and left a huge gap between roof and top which I hated from day one. And that was just looking at it. The added resistance and noise made it much worse than the look. One big reason I sold it.

Anyway, I guess I couldn't help but ********** about that a minute, but there is no better place to put a table if you have a truck and overhang. I would consider piecing one together that perfectly fits the space. That was my plan. I think the frame from one of these aforementioned tables would work great and just sacrifice the top or repurpose it. Still worth it. Personally I think an L bracket setup hanging all the way across the roof (underside of top) and TWO tabletops would be the ticket. Each could be 3'x3' easily and slide in/out from either side with a pin to lock them in. Seems to me like vibration mitigation would be a battle but a winnable one.

View attachment 819258
Exactly my plan! And check out the Tune M1, there is room to put a 58" long unfolded table on either side. It has a long overhang, 59".
20240121_184823.jpg

plh

Explorer
I have a Lifetime folding table. It's maybe 5'x2'.. Its pretty strong steel tube frame with blow moulded HDPE top.
Overall I like it, but the plastic is quite slippery. Unless its real close to level things slide off.
Obviously, plastic have to be careful with stoves, hot cooking utensils, etc.
I found it at Sally Ann, 15$ I cant complain.
Otherwise I would probably buy a stainless folding table.
Further,
On my group trips, I usually bring also a late 70s Black & Decker Workmate. (Theres dozens of models over the years. In general, older the better... )
Seems crazy overkill for bringing stuff.
But its proven the handiest thing at camp.

The Workmate idea is brilliant, I own one and have never thought about bringing it camping.

Dave in AZ

I have a workmate, it is a bulky heavy beast! Not good for me in a Tacoma. I also have looked endlessly at stainless tables, camping and catering etc, and only the Alu-Cab one so far has had legs that nestle inside of each other to fold up flat. Any link to a cheaper one that actually folds flat and is sturdy, would be appreciated! Thx!

Flyelk1

Camp time roll-a-table for me. Table top is easy to clean and handles heat well. Rolls up for great use of space, is not heavy and adjustable legs are sturdy. Love it!

XJLI

Adventurer
Overall I like it, but the plastic is quite slippery. Unless its real close to level things slide off.

This is the worst part about it. There are peel and stick UV- safe foams available (marine use), probably going to try that.

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
I have a Lifetime folding table . . .
Obviously, plastic have to be careful with stoves, hot cooking utensils, etc. . . .
I have a Lifetime 2' X 4' folding table. It has a pebbled surface, sort of non-slip. Bought at Wal-Mart.

I carry 'Lego' leveling blocks that I can use to bring the table within 1/2" of level.

I carry a bamboo cutting board to put hot pans/utensils on; stove is a two burner Coleman.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior