best trailer to start a build with?

jcbrandon

Explorer
military trailer size chart

ZR2nit said:
I would like to buy something a little bigger than a m101. Is there some type of index on different "M" trailer measurements???
Spin up:
http://www.olive-drab.com/od_mvg_vehicle_id_trailers.php
clicking the trailer pictures on the right side of that page will usually take you to a detailed chart and description of that particular trailer. For example, here's the page on the M101:
http://www.olive-drab.com/idphoto/id_photos_m101_trailer.php
Note that this is the US M101; quite a bit larger than the Canadian M101.

IH8RDS

Explorer
If you are looking for one to build off of, I would recommend the M416 frame. Look for a M416 that the tub is rusted out and I can almost guarantee that the frame is still intact. It is also almost modular. Every piece can be local manufactured except for the lunette and the reciver that it goes into. Long after the tub is gone on mine the frame will still be there. It has very desirable measurements to begin with.

HPIM0471.jpg

HPIM0485.jpg

firstcoat3.jpg

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
Martyn said:
Dirt roads and wash board are much more punishing on the trailer. The high frequency vibration plays havoc with the welds, rivets, and seals. Unless you are using bolts with nylocks they too vibrate loose.
Very true. However, also here weight is an issue as the trailer also ads wear and tear to the tow rig; the heavier the trailer, the bigger the risk to break something on the tow rig. It's a fine line...

I started out about 15 yrs. ago with a roofing tar kettle trailer discarded by my father-in-law after the kettle burned out. I bought it from him and had a sheet metal shop fabricate a box. I have used it in years past to carry my wall tent/wood stove-camping gear out to CO for extended stays. The worst treatment it got was on some of the washboard Nat'l. Forest Rds. I needed more room so found an enclosed trailer that could carry more gear out. I couldn't part with my original trailer so kept it for shorter trips when not as much gear was needed. THEN I saw an old M100 military trailer on Craigslist that just happened to be manufactured the same year I was born so I HAD to have it. All of these trailers are reasonably lightweight but there again I am an old "fart" and my extreme 4 wheeling days are over. So you might look at the smaller tar kettle trailers, generator trailers(large generators mounted on trailers),the gov't. entities that might have road trailers that post the speed you're traveling that set on the side of the roadway, or you could buy reproduction M100 new. Krage Industries sells the frame/tub combo or just the frame. Good luck!

backpackingessentials021.jpg

This is the old tar kettle trailer. Ive since modified it but you can see the size it is. A welding trailer is about the same size. In fact, Miller Welding makes an off-road version for their mounted welders.

133.jpg

I picked this trailer up in GA.for $450.00 from a construction worker that's business had expanded to where he needed a full-blown enclosed trailer to carry all his tools. It only has 13 inch wheels and a lightwt. frame but it worked flawlessly last season up in the mountains in CO for my camp hauler. I literally had everything but the kitchen sink in the casket vault,er... I mean the tub. There again, it wouldn't work for the hardcore but I ran all over the Nat'l. Forest roads and didn't have any problems with it. In fact, I forgot it was back there occasionally. I'm considering putting a RTT on the lid or at least a kayak rack.

AzRover

Observer
I have a US M101A2 trailer. It's a little over 1200 pounds empty. Has a surge brake, and the bed is 8 feet long, and 5 feet 5 inches wide. 1500 pound cargo capicity off road. It would be too big for your project. I wanted an adventure trailer, but I also wanted to be able to bring home a load of plywood.

gabe

Observer
Is a 2000lbs axle to small, I wouldn't think I would every load that much on a trailer since my primary goal is to reduce the weight I'm pulling?

jatibb

Adventurer
luv the chuck wagon michael. inspired me for mine. a little different, started with a aluminum boat trailer. will post pics soon. currently doing duty as a lumber hauler for deck project at home (damit,sidetracked again)

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Trailers built from structural shapes (Angle, Channel, etc.) tend to be heavy for their weight capacity and not terribly strong - particularly in torsion. The military trailers go around this by using the tub for a significant part of the total strength of the trailer.

I would confine my search to something with a tube frame unless building a tub that will be permanently attached to the frame is part of the plan. If such a tub is within your abilities, then I suggest that a tube frame is as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998