Best trailer with 2 people and a dog?

JeepDiver

I guess I'm looking for a unicorn, because not finding anything that works. I'm wanting a smaller trailer that has room for 2 adults and an older 70lb dog that doesn't sleep on the bed, has problems climbing onto a bunk and can't curl up in a very small space.
Primary requirements
Built in Heater/Water Heater
Off grid AC with Lithium Batteries and Solar capabilities to support it. Would prefer a Dometic/similar but could deal with zero breeze.
~20 gal water tank
Outside kitchen with fridge slide out, storage for pots,pans,plates, etc
Sink with hot water feed
4 season (water tank/underbelly)
Mild off road capabilities - Forest Service Roads/trails with water crossings in the Ozarks.
Garagable - 7ft Max height.
Price <$40,000 (could possibly go a little higher if everything was perfect)

Will be towed by a Gladiator and/or a Grand Cherokee. Both have a 6000 lb tow rating, so really wanting to keep Gross weight to 5000lbs

Mission Summit needs about another 3 ft of length for the Dog or it would be my top contender.
Just saw the 2024 xpedition voyager with the portal, so that has promise, but not finding a lot of details on tent options, how well it heats/cools the tent etc. Guessing it will also be at the top end of the price range when fitted with the portal, tent, and ac.

Any other suggestions to look at?

If you’re not wanting to take it into really rough terrain, look at the Escape trailers out of Chilliwack, British Columbia. Their 19’ trailers have tandem axles , which regardless of what you chose is a must in my book.

No outside kitchen, and I’m not sure about water crossing, but it’s a possible. They have a large user base and active forum.

oregontrd

Check out my thread on the NJStar trailer that I imported. Meets all of your requirements except maybe the fact that you would have to lift your dog to be up on the “kids” bed in the front of the trailer.

JeepDiver

If you’re not wanting to take it into really rough terrain, look at the Escape trailers out of Chilliwack, British Columbia. Their 19’ trailers have tandem axles , which regardless of what you chose is a must in my book.

No outside kitchen, and I’m not sure about water crossing, but it’s a possible. They have a large user base and active forum.
Thanks. The outdoor kitchen is a must, and not sure it looks like it would really hold up to trails/service roads that well

JeepDiver

Check out my thread on the NJStar trailer that I imported. Meets all of your requirements except maybe the fact that you would have to lift your dog to be up on the “kids” bed in the front of the trailer.
The floor plan looks doable, but not sure I'm up to dealing with that entire process. I've looked at some of the trailers on Alibaba and might end up going that way if I can't find something backed by a US company, but the headache of dealing with manufacturing and importing doesn't seem worth the savings at this point.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
I guess I'm looking for a unicorn, because not finding anything that works. I'm wanting a smaller trailer that has room for 2 adults and an older 70lb dog that doesn't sleep on the bed, has problems climbing onto a bunk and can't curl up in a very small space.
Primary requirements
Off grid AC with Lithium Batteries and Solar capabilities to support it. Would prefer a Dometic/similar but could deal with zero breeze.
~20 gal water tank
Sink with hot water feed
Mild off road capabilities - Forest Service Roads/trails with water crossings in the Ozarks.

Will be towed by a Gladiator and/or a Grand Cherokee. Both have a 6000 lb tow rating, so really wanting to keep Gross weight to 5000lbs

Mission Summit needs about another 3 ft of length for the Dog or it would be my top contender.
Just saw the 2024 xpedition voyager with the portal, so that has promise, but not finding a lot of details on tent options, how well it heats/cools the tent etc. Guessing it will also be at the top end of the price range when fitted with the portal, tent, and ac.

Why not build one? Steal ideas, copy designs, source equipment that you want, go to a fab shop and get'r done. In 6 months you should have exactly what you want.

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
This type of thread comes up every once in a while, but the response is always the same: the unicorn doesn't exist, and you will have to compromise on some factors.

A max 7ft height means it'll be a pop-up, which negates your 4-season requirement. On top of that outside kitchen, insulated tanks, low price point, etc. - it's just not going to happen.

Escape Trailers, as mentioned above, is a great start to your search. More of a 3-season trailer, won't fit in the garage, no outside kitchen. They're decent quality, worth a look.

OBI Dweller, Opus OP15, and similar have their own upsides that may appeal to you (off road capability, off road kitchens, low travel height).

I had a Hymer Touring GT550 some time ago which is a tight fit for two and a large dog (as we were), but doable, especially if you're willing to do some modifications to fix factory issues. They're not common, but can be found for $25,000~ish CAD. This fit in my 8ft garage door, but it won't work for your 7ft. Honestly, I'd forget about that requirement right off the bat.

Last edited:

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
Why not build one? Steal ideas, copy designs, source equipment that you want, go to a fab shop and get'r done. In 6 months you should have exactly what you want.
I've recently done just that (see: https://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/eatsleepwoof-gets-a-6x12.235483/), and would absolutely not recommend it for 99% of people. Easily sunk in 600-650 hours of work, had a very difficult time selling it, ended up giving it away for $5k under my parts & materials cost, not to mention time. Unless OP is very experienced and has done such projects before, I would not go down that rabbit hole.

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

Primary requirements
~20 gal water tank
Sink with hot water feed

Arkto g12 checks all boxes except u would need a 8 ft garage.

AOR s at xgrid might have a pop up that would work.

Expedition Voyager is a square top that u can't stand up in.

Can you raise your garage header?

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
I've recently done just that (see: https://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/eatsleepwoof-gets-a-6x12.235483/), and would absolutely not recommend it for 99% of people. Easily sunk in 600-650 hours of work, had a very difficult time selling it, ended up giving it away for $5k under my parts & materials cost, not to mention time. Unless OP is very experienced and has done such projects before, I would not go down that rabbit hole.

I wouldn't trust my welding skills. My suggestion isn't really DIY, it's commission a skilled shop to build to my plans and specs. Technically, professionally built.

I sit at home and drink beer, drop by and check on the build.

As to resale, you can say this is a custom built trailer built by Raggy Trailers of Low Valley, Anystate, to go into your sales pitch.....might even ask a premium for a professionally built custom trailer.

Two requirements, get a good job done with a great design, actually have custom features. Quality = $ and a good design with goodies at resale should be $$$.

Add things that others don't do. I don't know, does anyone build in an electrical 110V outlet facing the rear, with charging stations and lamps? I don't know, how about pull out steps to get in and out.....better yet make it power steps and flip a switch. Is there a gun vault under that bed? Electric blanket plug-ins?

You could very well put more money into a custom build than the cost of those trash trailers and with elementary marketing skills, sell it at a profit.

But, yes, many DIY projects don't end up with a pro finish, quality materials and I've seen some they couldn't sell, just towed off.

JeepDiver

Pretty much stuck with the 7ft garage, though I may end up with something bigger and find a storage unit. The arkto g12
I have thought about that and may go that route if I can't find anything and can find a somewhat local shop that can do the work

Runmorun

The floor plan looks doable, but not sure I'm up to dealing with that entire process. I've looked at some of the trailers on Alibaba and might end up going that way if I can't find something backed by a US company, but the headache of dealing with manufacturing and importing doesn't seem worth the savings at this point.

I am selling them here in the US, pm me for pricing

highwest

The Teton X was our top pick before we found a smoking deal on a Mission Summit. The Teton X still looks really good…

JeepDiver

The Teton X was our top pick before we found a smoking deal on a Mission Summit. The Teton X still looks really good…
TetonX is on the list if I decide to go with something that isn't garageable. Talked to Xgrid Knoxville today and they are supposed to have a Voyager with the portal and a TetonX at MOORE expo so will be taking a closer look at both of them.

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

Just dawned on me Ainty Shanty might work for you. The square tops like the Expidition voyager are cool but man standing up in ur trailer is nice. Not to mention dealing with all those tents and tent rooms has to be a pain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior