Best trailer with 2 people and a dog?

ARMI_gander

I guess I'm looking for a unicorn, because not finding anything that works. I'm wanting a smaller trailer that has room for 2 adults and an older 70lb dog that doesn't sleep on the bed, has problems climbing onto a bunk and can't curl up in a very small space.
Primary requirements
Built in Heater/Water Heater
Off grid AC with Lithium Batteries and Solar capabilities to support it. Would prefer a Dometic/similar but could deal with zero breeze.
~20 gal water tank
Outside kitchen with fridge slide out, storage for pots,pans,plates, etc
Sink with hot water feed
4 season (water tank/underbelly)
Mild off road capabilities - Forest Service Roads/trails with water crossings in the Ozarks.
Garagable - 7ft Max height.
Price <$40,000 (could possibly go a little higher if everything was perfect)

Will be towed by a Gladiator and/or a Grand Cherokee. Both have a 6000 lb tow rating, so really wanting to keep Gross weight to 5000lbs

Mission Summit needs about another 3 ft of length for the Dog or it would be my top contender.
Just saw the 2024 xpedition voyager with the portal, so that has promise, but not finding a lot of details on tent options, how well it heats/cools the tent etc. Guessing it will also be at the top end of the price range when fitted with the portal, tent, and ac.

Any other suggestions to look at?
It sounds like the SGC Armor 15B checks all your boxes, except it's right at 10ft tall, since it's full height interior. Zero wood, zero framing/zero thermal bridge, composite panels, outside kitchen, independent suspension, Dometic or 12V AC, 4000 lbs. Check out the thread for it. :)

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

It sounds like the SGC Armor 15B checks all your boxes, except it's right at 10ft tall, since it's full height interior. Zero wood, zero framing/zero thermal bridge, composite panels, outside kitchen, independent suspension, Dometic or 12V AC, 4000 lbs. Check out the thread for it. :)

I am excited to see one of these in person. 10 feet is pretty tall for that short of rig.

I would prefer it to be 12" shorter also. Still plenty of room to walk around and "full height" in my mind. But you can't make everyone happy all at once. :)

It is tough that's for sure. Keep in mind some of that length is that spare tire. My rig is at 8.75 feet tall and I can really feel when towing. I know it's hard to keep the hight down on a high ground clearance trailer. Wonder if that rack and AC could be deleted? Question is how long is the tounge A frame from the tounge box coupler and what is the ground clearance?

No so sure with this height one would want to tow with anything less then a half ton truck.

All this said this looks very cool and very reasonably priced.

ARMI_gander

It is tough that's for sure. Keep in mind some of that length is that spare tire. My rig is at 8.75 feet tall and I can really feel when towing. I know it's hard to keep the hight down on a high ground clearance trailer. Wonder if that rack and AC could be deleted? Question is how long is the tounge A frame from the tounge box coupler and what is the ground clearance?

No so sure with this height one would want to tow with anything less then a half ton truck.

All this said this looks very cool and very reasonably priced.
It says 20' 9" overall, including spare tire on the rear. The roof rack protects the AC and solar panels. And it's 23" of ground clearance to the bottom of the frame (unless you're loaded down for bear). And that's true ground clearance... (no drop-down frame and tongue, like some).

Yeah, most towing applications would be a truck, but a Gladiator would do fine, I bet.

I agree that it's awesome and hopefully takes off after they hit dealerships. :)

JeepDiver

I actually saw the demo unit at RITO last fall. It's too tall and loaded the weight would be close to limit, and with the additional height would be more than I would want to tow. It was a nice looking trailer though

JeepDiver

I had Jeremy at Xgrid put together a video of the 2024 Voyager with the portal. Going to take a real close look at this one at MOORE expo. I think it may come in a tad over 7ft with the tent, but waiting to hear back with measurements

ARMI_gander

I actually saw the demo unit at RITO last fall. It's too tall and loaded the weight would be close to limit, and with the additional height would be more than I would want to tow. It was a nice looking trailer though
Yeah, it's just up to the individual to make the decision on whether it's too tall or heavy for them. It's definitely not a small trail rig. It would be hard to beat 5640 gvwr on a single-axle independent suspension trailer. :)

On a side note, you could always get a regular SGC for your Gladiator or their Multi-Camp (colab with Schutt) trailer. ;) Plenty of people run those with dogs, albeit a challenge.

I think they went to high in ground clearance (23"), interior height (78") and roof rack /AC. Plus to short on tounge. Put spare on tounge box to make up for longer tounge.

I had Jeremy at Xgrid put together a video of the 2024 Voyager with the portal. Going to take a real close look at this one at MOORE expo. I think it may come in a tad over 7ft with the tent, but waiting to hear back with measurements

Okay now I know what a portal is. So impressed Exp Voy speced out a Bush rooftop tent instead of the typical Chinese made kind. So one can kind of stand up. Of course if anyone is sleeping in the RTT then there is no standing up to be had. 99% of the time mfgers say "you maybe able to fit in 7' garage (83") " it ends up not fitting. Wondering would you and significant other sleep upstairs and dog down stairs? I guess that would be the plan. I assume that down stairs mattress could fold out of the way so you could just leave the portal open all the time. Of course unless it's really cold. Wondering how much this bad boy weighs loaded? Np for gladiator but I hope these guys don't roll this thing to the show in thier wrangler.

JeepDiver

Okay now I know what a portal is. So impressed Exp Voy speced out a Bush rooftop tent instead of the typical Chinese made kind. So one can kind of stand up. Of course if anyone is sleeping in the RTT then there is no standing up to be had. 99% of the time mfgers say "you maybe able to fit in 7' garage (83") " it ends up not fitting. Wondering would you and significant other sleep upstairs and dog down stairs? I guess that would be the plan. I assume that down stairs mattress could fold out of the way so you could just leave the portal open all the time. Of course unless it's really cold. Wondering how much this bad boy weighs loaded? Np for gladiator but I hope these guys don't roll this thing to the show in thier wrangler.
Yeah the plan would be the dog downstairs when he is with us. The downstairs mattress folds into a couch so that would probably be the configuration when the dog is there. I think you can leave the portal open even when people are in it, but not 100% sure. Though usually don't have anyone else when we are camping, and if for some reason we do, the Gladiator I bought has a ikamper mini they can stay end. Though I may end up selling it.

Dry weight (assuming without tent) is 2600, Gross Weight is 4200lbs. The Gladiator shouldn't even know it's back there. A Wrangler could do it if you were careful how you loaded it, but wouldn't be fun.

Yeah the plan would be the dog downstairs when he is with us. The downstairs mattress folds into a couch so that would probably be the configuration when the dog is there. I think you can leave the portal open even when people are in it, but not 100% sure. Though usually don't have anyone else when we are camping, and if for some reason we do, the Gladiator I bought has a ikamper mini they can stay end. Though I may end up selling it.

Dry weight (assuming without tent) is 2600, Gross Weight is 4200lbs. The Gladiator shouldn't even know it's back there. A Wrangler could do it if you were careful how you loaded it, but wouldn't be fun.

The Wrangler of course could but not should ;)
2,600 plus tent is 2,800 plus 200 because all mfgers are light on projected specs. So 3k dry and right up to 4,200 loaded. I would take this over the Mission Summit that's fur sure.

JeepDiver

The Wrangler of course could but not should ;)
2,600 plus tent is 2,800 plus 200 because all mfgers are light on projected specs. So 3k dry and right up to 4,200 loaded. I would take this over the Mission Summit that's fur sure.
From videos I like the layout of the Voyager kitchen a lot more than the MO for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior