Best value Suburban as an all arounder

Rockhounder

Explorer
Barn doors. Tailgate (metal part goes down, glass goes up). Hatchback (minivan style...all one piece hinged upward).

Hey, I learn something new every day.... that is why I love this site. I had never really looked at the back of the newer suburbans. My newest, the 97, had barn doors.
Did they eve make a liftgate in the older models? I have never heard of one in the 73 to 91 body styles.

DaveNay

Adventurer
I've never seen a glass up tailgate down. We always had the glass window rolls into tailgate.

Keep the Faith!
Throwbacks MC
https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=159697770713381

31-2.jpg

plumber mike

Adventurer
Don't buy miles. But condition. Don't buy miles. Buy condition. Repeat...

I'm holding you to it. Just picked up a 2001 3/4ton 8.1 with 266k on the clock. New motor/trans at 210k. New transfer case at 250k.

My highest mileage vehicle ever. Last one was a 99 half ton with 250k.....nothing wrong, but had a friend needing some wheels.

I'm hooked on the power already.
image.jpg
To the fella that rotated my pic before......thanks very much, and what did you do to rotate it?

Last edited:

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Even the 5.3 has adequate power. Go to it from my JK and wow. The thing hauls ***. I am getting my Suburban to the garage now to take care of a idler pulley bearing going south. Sounds like a jet engine when I start it up now.

Haakon

Observer
Last year of the tailgate was the last year of the old square solid-axle.... 1991

The tailgates were overrated. So were barn doors. YMMV

No it wasn't you could get a Sub or Tahoe with a tailgate until 1999. They're not as common as the barn doors, but I see them for sale often.

G.jpg

xbox73

Adventurer
As another statistical information point, I had a '99 Suburban 2500 / 3/4 ton, with big block Vortec 454, 4L80E, 3.73 gears, 33" BFG all terrain tires & 'autotragic' 4x4 for about 6 years. I admit I have a heavy right foot, but mileage was pretty abysmal: I got 9-10 mpg on the highway, not towing, medium loaded. That said, other than having to replace the transfer case & a few other odds & ends (like a starter, alternator, plug wires, battery, door lock actuators), it was a pretty reliable & comfortable vehicle. I got the 2500 for the big block, stronger frame, beefier gearbox & better brakes for the times when I wanted it to tow & general greater reliability of the heavier duty components. The 'burb went on countless 'missions' & road trips to Baja & all over the Pacific Southwest, snowboarding, running heavy sweep at rally races on fire roads, etc. & the countless great memories associated with them. I'd probably still have it, but I upgraded to a '00 7.3L PSD Excursion with off road mods that I wanted, and couldn't justify keeping two large SUVs that filled somewhat the same purpose.

I'm holding you to it. Just picked up a 2001 3/4ton 8.1 with 266k on the clock. New motor/trans at 210k. New transfer case at 250k.

My highest mileage vehicle ever. Last one was a 99 half ton with 250k.....nothing wrong, but had a friend needing some wheels.

I'm hooked on the power already.
View attachment 249719
To the fella that rotated my pic before......thanks very much, and what did you do to rotate it?

Was this picture taken in Australia??? You can rotate pictures in paint or Microsoft picture viewer before you upload.

crick

I bought a 1999 Suburban K1500 and I've been real happy with it. Parts are easy to find (new and used) and it does EVERYTHING except get good gas mileage. I wanted to get a 1990 or 1991 burb, but my wife and kids appreciate the comfort of the 1999. I've had to do a few repairs to hit, but it has only left me stranded once when the rear end exploded (see below).

Couple things to keep in mind.

The vortec engine on the 1995 to 1999 has a poor aftermarket supply. Then engine was only around for the those years and now the LS engines are the new best thing. If you want to be able to get more performance out of your engine, go with the 2000+ years burbs.

The rear-end on the suburbans like to explode around 200k. I'd recommend getting it checked out and then plan to have it replaced by a better, non-OEM posi trac unit.

BPMOU

Observer
Well, let me take some of the shine off it: I guess Kaisen's 373s help, but in mine (with 410s) I've seen 10.5mpg exactly once. That was all highway, four adults and 500# of luggage and liquor.
If I drive it to work (all stop n go) or towing my 3500# XJ on the highway, I get 7.5.
Don't get me wrong, I love it. But I wouldn't want to feed that beast regularly!

I'm with wrench monkey on this, my 2002 Burb with 8.1 would get 10 mpg regularly but never better than that.

I actually sold it last year for more than I paid for it and got my wife a New TDI sportwagen for the family.

The price in gas of a 100 a week in fuel for 3/4 a tank covered a new car payment

Just depends on what you need, I miss ours but the gas.

2004 lb7

My wife has had a 2005 z71 suburban since 2009 I bought it with 47,000 and now have around 210,000 on it. This truck sees 15 to 20 miles a day of gravel and dirt roads, tows a two horse trailer most weekends and occasionally tows my 7000lb Kubota both on dry roads and in snow and will be getting a snow plow for it soon. 1500 is the way to go in my opinion I've owned many 2500 and 3500 platform trucks and they will beat you and themselves to death off road. For the abuse this truck sees the repair list is quite short. One set of wheel bearings, wife has no idea how she broke a rear shock lol, 1 water pump, and both knock sensors replaced. My wife does not baby this truck at all 35 to 45 on washboard, potholes, according to her Chevy parts are cheap and my labor is free.

plumber mike

Adventurer
My wife has had a 2005 z71 suburban since 2009 I bought it with 47,000 and now have around 210,000 on it. This truck sees 15 to 20 miles a day of gravel and dirt roads, tows a two horse trailer most weekends and occasionally tows my 7000lb Kubota both on dry roads and in snow and will be getting a snow plow for it soon. 1500 is the way to go in my opinion I've owned many 2500 and 3500 platform trucks and they will beat you and themselves to death off road. For the abuse this truck sees the repair list is quite short. One set of wheel bearings, wife has no idea how she broke a rear shock lol, 1 water pump, and both knock sensors replaced. My wife does not baby this truck at all 35 to 45 on washboard, potholes, according to her Chevy parts are cheap and my labor is free.

Welcome for starters. Good folks around here with a lot of good ideas.

The coils ride much nicer in the dirt, but do you have autoride, because my wife's tahoe would be sagging good with those loads. Different spring rate I suppose for the suburban, and possibly the z71 package. I just got done installing some power stop rotors and pads on the tahoe since my lovely wife rides the brakes for the 5 mile downhill to town. I've only blown a rear on half ton Chevys and I've tried my best on the bigger ones....but they just don't break. Otherwise the halfer would be my choice as well. I won't get into wanting to row my own gears, as it just cranks me up.
My 1990 is a tough old truck, but I'm spoiled with all the luxuries of the new ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears