Beware of flippers

MichaelH

Observer
I didn't see the original poster as beating on flippers, more advising hobbiest to make wise choices in where and how they sell their prized vehicles. Frankly, vehicles are commodities and are sold as such. If a buyer negotiated a great deal and then “flips” it for profit, more power to them. It is interesting how home flippers are revered and auto flippers despised by some.

Let the buyer beware and the seller prosper.

Mark, you are the only guy who gets it. LOL at all the other posts. funny stuff. And to MTSN, exactly, it sat on here for a while as many have. I see a few on here right now that would make good BaT listings depending on the owners price. Many folks don't know about bringatrailer. Heck, I didn't know about this place and got turned on to it by a poster on BaT. Got a great buy and paid it forward to the next guy so for me, Expedition Portal worked as I think most enthusiasts here hope it would. Genie is out of the bottle now though. Sellers here have options and that's the point of my post. For certain vehicles, there is absolutely no reason to let a flipper take the money that should be yours.

MichaelH

Observer
@southpier,
On the internet, they have this thing called search engines where you can type in something like "What does make bank mean". Or you can just go to Urban Dictionary and plug in your search term. Here: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=making bank Or...you can ask a question on a forum and wait for an answer. Thought I'd "show you how to fish" so to speak.

Sounds like you might be a potential seller that could benefit from my suggestion (sort of naive to what is out on the Internet?). Just letting others know there are other places to sell your vehicle, no reason to let a flipper take the money you are leaving on the table.

Mud Dawg

Observer
When I sold my Cruiser, I listed it here.....and in like five or six other places. I have no idea why any person wouldn't do the same. The ad is already drafted and pics are already taken. Requires almost no effort, even if you have to "join" some other site(s)...

hradke

How exactly should a seller be aware of a flipper? A buyer is a buyer. As the seller its your responsibility to get the most money for whatever it is that you are selling. If that means taking better photos and listing it with an auction house, so be it.

MichaelH

Observer
Absolutely! If someone lists something on a classified ad in the back of the newspaper in a town of 30,000 and someone buys it and lists it elsewhere (and writes the ad and takes the photos and works through the process) and makes twice more? Who cares.

I've long said I'm putting my D1 up on BAT unless it sells here, it hasn't yet, but to put it on BAT and have a successful sale will require more work on my part, more photos, more willingness to be available for questions during the entire auction period, day or night, etc.

Bigger audience, more buyers. ExPo is a small slice of the buyer's market. If someone took advantage of that and sold on a larger platform, more power to them. It's like Discoweb - people on there seem to think any LR is worth $2500, tops, no matter what it is. Bad bad place to sell. I put it on the sellers to seek the best venue to put their vehicle up.

When first coming here to EP, one would get the impression that this is a very close community of like-minded individuals willing to help each other out (I did). Sort of "got each others back". Someone selling their pride and joy at a max-pain price because of certain circumstance feels some sense of satisfaction knowing their vehicle is going to someone who is going to use it and enjoy it...not turn around and sell it some place for double. Pretty obvious from the posts here, that it really is everyone out for themselves and a big round of applause for anyone that can get over on someone else. It's a free market and I get it to though.

Not everyone is savvy about what car-selling places are out there and bringatrailer is pretty unique. They don't accept all vehicles and not all vehicles sell well, but some do. These classic off-road vehicles garner a lot of love and attention at that site. The TreK had 174 pretty long posts mostly in glowing support of that vehicle. You can't beat that kind of marketing. My goal with this post is to let those people know that another site exists that they may want to consider before throwing in the towel.

As far as the comment above, it's not hard to take photos and be available to answer questions a couple times a day (The seller of the TReK wasn't around all that much). Knowledge is power and if after having all the facts, a seller decides the effort is not worth it and sells to someone who makes a profit, fine by me. This post was not for those people.

To the guy flagging my posts because this is a "FOR SALE" section. Yup, that's exactly why I posted it here to draw attention to some ExPo members selling their vehicles here. I knew it wouldn't make some people happy. Sorry about that.

Cheers!

AbnMike

Observer
When first coming here to EP, one would get the impression that this is a very close community of like-minded individuals willing to help each other out (I did). Sort of "got each others back". Someone selling their pride and joy at a max-pain price because of certain circumstance feels some sense of satisfaction knowing their vehicle is going to someone who is going to use it and enjoy it...not turn around and sell it some place for double. Pretty obvious from the posts here, that it really is everyone out for themselves and a big round of applause for anyone that can get over on someone else. It's a free market and I get it to though.

Not everyone is savvy about what car-selling places are out there and bringatrailer is pretty unique. They don't accept all vehicles and not all vehicles sell well, but some do. These classic off-road vehicles garner a lot of love and attention at that site. The TreK had 174 pretty long posts mostly in glowing support of that vehicle. You can't beat that kind of marketing. My goal with this post is to let those people know that another site exists that they may want to consider before throwing in the towel.

As far as the comment above, it's not hard to take photos and be available to answer questions a couple times a day (The seller of the TReK wasn't around all that much). Knowledge is power and if after having all the facts, a seller decides the effort is not worth it and sells to someone who makes a profit, fine by me. This post was not for those people.

To the guy flagging my posts because this is a "FOR SALE" section. Yup, that's exactly why I posted it here to draw attention to some ExPo members selling their vehicles here. I knew it wouldn't make some people happy. Sorry about that.

Cheers!

Fair enough. I think it was the "Beware" thing in the title that set some people (me included) off.

10 years ago I wouldn't suspect anyone to know what BAT was, now though? No excuses.

I watch a lot of auctions on there and while no, it isn't too hard to take photos and be available, you'd be surprised at the number of people who pay to advertise there and still don't participate in the forum on their own vehicle. Generally the final price (unless it's one of those absolute must have vehicles - if you have to ask you can't afford it one offs) reflects the lack of participation of many sellers.

The seller in question did a good job of providing as much info as possible and not shying away from the fact they bought it here, flew to Portland or whatever and drove it home and then decided to sell it.

I'm sure he probably almost died of a heart attack himself at the final sale, no one in the LR community (and he seems to be an owner of more than one) expected that price at all....I actually thought it wouldn't sell for what he paid for a bit there.

As far as the community aspect, sure, I like to think that, too. But I've had no fewer than 3 people who insisted they wanted my Rover here, asked me to send very specific and more photos, which I always have and which always showed there were no issues with whatever they were looking for, only to simply drop off the face of the planet and simply stop responding.

What I do like about BAT is they take a deposit so if you're bidding, you're buying and the buyer is pretty protected. On here? Months and months of PMs, emails, etc, etc, with people who "have money in hand and just need to book a flight" only to just disappear....and not one post folks either, but people with lots of posts.

Last edited:

Msand

Importer
On here? Months and months of PMs, emails, etc, etc, with people who "have money in hand and just need to book a flight" only to just disappear....and not one post folks either, but people with lots of posts.

That is so true! Or they give you a large downpayment and then proceed to say, "let me ask the wife first" then threaten to sue if you don't refund them because the wife said "no". Haha that actually happened to me a few days ago, on my expo camper I'm selling. The guy who did that is a forum member as well.

southpier

Expedition Leader
@southpier,
On the internet, they have this thing called search engines where you can type in something like "What does make bank mean". Or you can just go to Urban Dictionary and plug in your search term. Here: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=making bank Or...you can ask a question on a forum and wait for an answer. Thought I'd "show you how to fish" so to speak.

Sounds like you might be a potential seller that could benefit from my suggestion (sort of naive to what is out on the Internet?). Just letting others know there are other places to sell your vehicle, no reason to let a flipper take the money you are leaving on the table.

I just assumed you would have the answer. Expo is my search engine of choice. if it's not here, I don't need it.

LtFuzz

Explorer
BaT is AWESOME for every brand except Rovers

They've been out of sync with the Rover community from the very beginning. Even years ago a $3,000 RRC would bring $10,000

I got completely blasted in the comments for suggesting that the myriad NAS D90s being sold on BaT were bringing in INSANE money that far outpaced the market. Turns out BaT singlehandedly shattered the enthusiast NAS D90 market and turned it into a hobby for what used to be ECR's customer base. I can't even imagine what a clean NAS 110 would bring on BaT if listed today. I wouldnt be surprised to see $150,000.

The Rover guys on BaT are not Rover guys. They dont care if it's a tarted up '88 or one-ten, or that it has a Puma motor, or ostrich leather or any of that other crap that boutique "bespoke outfitters" in Florida have turned profits on for years. They'll buy it all for obscene amounts. It was fine until they started dealing in real Rover steel. Now the market is trashed for good

i dont even look at Rovers on BaT anymore. but for other stuff it's good!

AbnMike

Observer
BaT is AWESOME for every brand except Rovers

They've been out of sync with the Rover community from the very beginning. Even years ago a $3,000 RRC would bring $10,000

I got completely blasted in the comments for suggesting that the myriad NAS D90s being sold on BaT were bringing in INSANE money that far outpaced the market. Turns out BaT singlehandedly shattered the enthusiast NAS D90 market and turned it into a hobby for what used to be ECR's customer base. I can't even imagine what a clean NAS 110 would bring on BaT if listed today. I wouldnt be surprised to see $150,000.

The Rover guys on BaT are not Rover guys. They dont care if it's a tarted up '88 or one-ten, or that it has a Puma motor, or ostrich leather or any of that other crap that boutique "bespoke outfitters" in Florida have turned profits on for years. They'll buy it all for obscene amounts. It was fine until they started dealing in real Rover steel. Now the market is trashed for good

i dont even look at Rovers on BaT anymore. but for other stuff it's good!

BAT is awesome for sellers of Rovers though!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle