BFG AT or KM2's

Applejack

Explorer
Ok, you all get to help me decide. I wanted to post this question here because tire choice depends a lot on the vehicle and not *just* terrain. These tires will be going on my '05 Taco D/C and will be in the 265/75/16 size. Now, which ever tire you members choose for me, I will order. When was the last time you got to decide what tires someone else has to buy?:sombrero:
Here is the deal. I am stuck between choosing the BFG AT, which has proven itself to me many times over, except when mud got real sticky and deep. I am not someone who goes looking for mud but I do encounter it many times, sometimes treacherous sections when on PNW trails. I want to try out the new KM2's but wonder if they are really worth it for me. I used KM1's on my wrangler with great results, but that was a strictly trail rig. My Taco spends 80% of it's life on the pavement and 20% on high desert rocky, sandy terrain. In the fall and winter months the high desert rains turn these trails into slick, hellish mud baths. Also I have like how mud terrain tires have beefy lugs to help pull me up and out of obstacles.
Which tire would you buy, given this info? The tire with the most votes wins:victory:! Voting will end 03/20/09. Post you votes and reasons if you like. You just might sway the vote of someone else:).

Last edited:

daverami

Explorer
Well, my vote would be the KM2's, not because I have them, but I am in the same situation as you. I like the look of them and would like a little more nasty road performance that the AT's. I know what you mean about the roads, as we practically live and drive in the same home territory. I love my AT's and have used them forever. I'm really anxious to try the KM2's, but I have a lot of miles left on my AT's and don't want/need two sets of tires.

Photog

Explorer
Well, if you get the KM-2's, what is the worst that could happen?

1) They may or may-not be as sticky on wet pavement. I have read that the AT's are not that great on wet pavement after a couple thousand miles. Some selective siping could help that on the KM-2's. You can even do that your self.

2) They might create more road noise. Can you live with that?

3) They should perform better for your off road needs.

Seems like an easy choice. KM-2!

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
KM2's:victory: I am currently running them on my rig and so far so good. I have had them on for about a month. They did good in the snow on the roads in Tahoe and seem to stick really well in the rain. Better than the original M/Ts I was running before. Haven't had them in mud yet, but I try to avoid it ..mud bad.. I have seen them on a 2500 in the mud though and they worked pretty well. The road noise is less than the M/T's also.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I have recently started reversing my thoughts on tires. For over a decade I have used nothing by MT style tires. At this point I'm most definitely going with AT as my next tire. If BFG made the AT in 255's I'd already be running them.

Don't get me wrong, I love MTs. Love the looks. Love the traction offroad. But when it comes down to it, everything I do from Desert Travel, Mining Roads in Colorado, to daily driving the AT is just a much better choice.

toku58

I've owned both and I would recommend the KM2's
The AT are good but they have limitations offroad.
The KM2's are good on and offroad, sand, mud, rocks, wet pavement, low road noise, and a smooth ride.
The AT's are about the same But the don't do MUD very well.
IMHO the KM2's fall between the MT and the AT.

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
You probably need to get the KM2's just to get the curiosity out of your system. If you don't like them, it wouldn't that hard to sell them in a year or two. It would seem that given the types of terrain I see up there in your part of the country that the KM2's would be more suitable for trail time, but you might lose a little of your wet traction on pavement.

Or you could do like me and have two sets....

alosix

Expedition Leader
I've been running KM2s on my Jeep for a little over a year now. I've never run the BFG ATs (just goodyear GSA and another AT).

They've been pretty decent in any of the wet stuff that I've been in.
They do very well in rocks.
Balanced up nice for a MT style tire.
Much better in rain/wet than any of the MTs I've used before (Goodyear MT/R and General Grabbers).

The road noise really isnt bad at all. They are also one of the quietest tires I've had on the Jeep.

I've probably got about 8k on them. They are wearing well. Also drove across the country with them. Had 2 days of rain, pulling my M101. They did well.

So, overall I've been really impressed with them.

Jason

Outback

Explorer
I say buy both sets. The ATs run 80% of the time and then switch to the MTs for the other 20%. I run my snow tires during winter. Then to Mts and after spring ATs.

Applejack

Explorer
I'd like to run two sets but, I just don't know if I want to unload that much cash. Maybe I'll buy another set next year, but for now it's one set.

SafariPacific

Adventurer
I found myself asking the same questions as you, especially now with my round the world trip looming. In the past I've been very happy with BFG AT's performance and long life. Between the AT's I had a couple set of old mud terrains that didn't last very long. So with the old tires there was the trade off, traction vs. distance. With muddy conditions ahead of me being unavoidable, I decided to give the KM2's a try. So far I have racked up 12,000 miles on 4 of them and absolutely love them. They perform well in snow, sand, mud and on pavement. Ice driving is better than the old MT, but no where close to AT's. The KM2's are quieter as well, as long as you keep your alignment in check. Once any irregular wear patterns start you will get some noise.

On another note, if you can afford it get 2 spares, so 6 tires total. Rotate regularly every 5000 miles. My current set of AT's has over 60,000 miles and about half tread remaining. (I'm only rotating 4 KM2's to burn through them quickly, so I can get an accurate distance per tire calculation before I leave on my round the world trip)

Hope this help. :D

DH2002

Adventurer
I have a set of procomp xterrains and due to the amount of time driving on highways they are quite worn down so am also looking at new ties and honestly am most likely going to go with the AT's just cause of the reviews for them MT's look great but I dont really go in mud and if i do I wont be alone and would have help to get out, the problem is I keep hearing good things about the KM2s and now I have to decide

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
KM2's hands down - I was peeling chunks of tread off the AT's off road, the KM2's have no issues like that and look tons better, getting longer life out of the KM2's compared to the old MT's as well.

HoosierTacoma08

I just picked up a set of A/T's yesterday, but I vote for the KM2's. :drool:

I'd like to see what they look like on a truck similar to mine, and like many others these were my two choices, but I just don't really need M/T's right now.

In the future I plan on running 2 sets, KM2's being one. :coffeedrink:

Jared

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger