BFGoodrich AT KO2, Initial impressions and hopefully long term report

Philthyphil

Observer
I have 315 75 16 ko2's on my tundra. Just like everyone else, preform well and extremely quiet, but wholly crap do they sling rocks on a gravel road. My rock sliders have been sand blasted.

I purchased another smaller set for my wife's Honda Pilot. 245 65 17 and I HATE them. They are so loud! Sound like chopped mud tires. Seriously debating about selling them and putting general grabbers instead. We now drive my truck everywhere because we can't have a normal conversation at 55mph.

So same tires on both the Tundra and the Pilot and they are quiet on the Tundra and loud on the Pilot? Just want to make sure I understand because I am looking at these in 295/75/16 for our 100 series LC and I do not want a loud tire!

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I have the 295/75/16s on my Xterra (which likely has far less sound deadening than your LC) and they are very quiet and livable.

Shradicalwyo

Adventurer
My 265/75 are quiet except for the amount of gravel and small rocks they hold on to, with the windows down it gets really bad from 30-45mph.

I loved mine in the snow, I still had to use 4wd for most of the winter but that was due to the amount of snow we kept accumulating. I'd still like to find a set of 265/70 or 75 used studded snows since I have an extra set of stock wheels now.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Nice Write up Isaac!

I picked my 285s up yesterday, today headed to pick up a set of TRD Trail Teams 16" from Stevenson.

Lift has to wait until later this month or next month, but I am gonna mess around and see if these fit with out rubbing on stock suspension.

They'll fit, just don't turn or go over speed bumps and you'll be fine.

QuadsBC

Adventurer
So same tires on both the Tundra and the Pilot and they are quiet on the Tundra and loud on the Pilot? Just want to make sure I understand because I am looking at these in 295/75/16 for our 100 series LC and I do not want a loud tire!

Yes, it looks like the smaller the tire the larger the tread gap. I'd expect the 295 75 16 size to be pretty quiet.

AxleIke

Adventurer
Are the KO2's only marginal on the snow and ice?

I am getting ready to buy a new set right before winter here in Idaho, but debating on getting a true winter tire instead of the BFG AT's, since we tend to get a lot of black ice. Then go to 3 season tire come spring, something like a Cooper AT3, since the truck sees more pavement than dirt.

I have the old style of BFG AT's on there now...and they "ok" on snow and ice...but not great. Wondering if the new version is any better.

They are much better than the originals. I had the exact same tire in the original KO before I got the KO2's and it was night and day difference. I had the snow rated ones in the original as well. WAY more siping on the KO2, and I've been much happier in the colorado snow with the KO2s. They are heavy though, and quite stiff in the LR E. So, not as nice a ride as some others, at least not on a lightweight truck.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I moved from old KO to KO2 this summer, so hopefully it's a fairly easy winter comparison. I did KO2 because they are supposed to be improved in snow and ice. The KO was alright in the winter but I am familiar with them, have had a lot of sets of them. LOL.

My old KO in stock size 265/70R16 and new ones in 235/85R16 so went from load range D to load range E, so not a great deal of difference in ride. They were louder initially but it was an odd sound, you could actually hear the tread grip on pavement. Hard to describe, almost like driving on studded tires on dry pavement. I have very high hopes and am itching for the storm today...

One thing is the traction on the trail was a huge improvement, very little wheel spin. I'm impressed so far. If only they made them in 255/85R16.

Shradicalwyo

Adventurer
I put mine on last August after 2 of my rugged trails stopped holding air. I've only put maybe 12,000 miles on them but they've been great and have been put through the paces. Usually it's just forest service roads and somewhat mellow trails in the summer and then ice/snow all winter. They did great in the snow/ice all last year and I never had to worry about losing traction on some of the steeper mountain passes. They did great in the deep snow all year too, there were numerous times I left my truck at the ski resort and bused home and would come back to it plowed in. Never had to dig or anything, just 4hi and out it came.

I was going over them the other day and besides some small spots in each tire, they look brand new. Traction on the ice this morning seemed a little less than when they were new, but that could be because its the first snow of the year and I'm not used to it yet. Debating which tire to go with after these but I may just get these again in a 285/75 or if I step up to 315/75.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I have about 17,000 miles on mine so far. Last winter they were great. Truly night and day compared to the KM2.

It just so happens that the first snow of the year has started in the Front Range. Hopefully it will snow enough for me to test them out after a year of use.

p nut

butter
KO2's have been great. Mine is on a full-size truck, so even with LR E, the ride is still good, and not much changed from stock P-rated tires. Got a little snow this morning (~3"). Slippery/slushy stuff, and never had to put it in 4wd. I did have some firewood in the back of the bed, so that helped, but even going up steep roads, no drama.
_
Compared to KO's? I don't know. The KO's performed well for me as well. Direct comparisons are hard, because I've noticed as KO's wear, performance got worse, especially <50% tread. Going from worn KO's to any AT tire would've been an improvement at that point.

Adventurous

Explorer
I have about 17,000 miles on mine so far. Last winter they were great. Truly night and day compared to the KM2.

It just so happens that the first snow of the year has started in the Front Range. Hopefully it will snow enough for me to test them out after a year of use.

Probably why my next tire will be a K02 or comparable. The KM2s I have on there right now are downright scary when things start to get a little slippery out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears