Big Bend National Park and Ranch State Park - January 2016

wngrog

Adventurer
Excellent trip report of the area and WOW you guys covered a lot of ground. Each of the places you visited has so much to offer. I have definitely learned over the years that I enjoy things a lot more by getting to know a stop well before moving to the next. I've been travelling to Big Bend country fairly regularly for only about 15yrs, since I moved to TX, and while I'm ok on the NP and BG we've barely scratched the surface of BBRSP, yet.

Also, it looks like the winds cooperated a bit with the drone which can be challenging in this area!

When you live as far away as we do, you have to make as much out of daylight as you can. This was my 6th trip.......I have canoed the Rio, Hiked the Chisos, driven the pavement with my redhead, a mix of all, a solo July heatwave trip and then this one......I can tell you I am a true rookie still. If I lived in Texas I would travel to this area 3-4 times a year. It is unreal.

Wind was so nice this trip except on the drive home. 20-25 mph headwinds for 400 miles until we stopped for the night. I got 8 mpg one leg.......

BlindWilly

TXpedition
4 more days and a wake up!
I'm heading out on Saturday. I'll be leading the crew to the usual spots and some new ones for me. (Casa Ramon and maybe Fresno Canyon in BBRSP and Old Ore in the NP.)
Next time you're out there, make a reservation with Terlingua Ranch to drive up to the top of Christmas Mountain!Suraj (121) (Medium).JPG

wngrog

Adventurer
Thanks Ralph. That is why it is great for people to write up their trips. Some may apply to your style, some may not.

I love sharing with folks.

heehawhardy

Adventurering
This coverage is amazing, and my trip is just replaying scene by scene from memory. I NEED, no I HAVE TO GET BACK TO BigBend ASAP!

Last edited:

PhulesAU

Explorer
If ya'll have a interest in Aerial photography, you might want to check out " Marfa Flights". it's Aerial views of the BB area. Paul v. Chaplo www.tamupress.com

Great color photography, It's easy to pick out land marks and the Oh man I missed that views.

RIDGE

Adventurer
Nolen! If you could put up with me for an extended trip I would love to visit this area with you!

How many days would it take to do it right?

We just covered another 700 miles in Utah a couple weeks ago. Went from Page, AZ to Moab (EJS) and then to Toroweap (Grand Canyon) on as much dirt as allowed. We spent about as much time as it takes to eat a Jack Daniels burger at the Moab Brewery before we left the chaos in Moab!

You are welcome on one of my trips any time...I've really gotten into overlanding and enjoy the scenic, desolate parts of our country.

Chris

RIDGE

Adventurer
Oh...almost forgot. I've never even thought about Big Bend NP, or heard of Ranch State Park until I read your report. Thanks!

wngrog

Adventurer
I heard you had a great writup on that trip....I'll look it up.

I wish I had the time to do it more. I love the west. I am starting to find cool stuff local to fill the gaps.

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
Thanks for posting this! I'm heading down there from Kansas City in 12 days for the first time. Can't wait!

HoustonPSD

My son and I just went out there over spring break and it was BUSY! We actually stayed in BBRSP because all of the campsites in BBNP were full.

We ended up doing some exploring around the Terlingua area as well. There were areas out there that looked like you were on a different planet. We had a blast on the trip and will definitely go back. I highly recommend the Big Bend area. It is beautiful out there.

Backroads of Terlingua.

I loved this early morning pic of Santa Elena Canyon.

Our home/view for the week. We used this spot as our base and explored different places everyday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior