Big Bend National Park and Ranch State Park - January 2016

ntsaint

Was definitely an awesome trip. I won't add too many more pics because at this point it would be fairly redundant...everything Nolen and Patrick have posted tells the tale.

As far as mileage goes, my complete trip was around 2800 miles out and back. Nolen and Patrick's will be slightly more, David's less. Once down there, we did 408 miles from entrance of Natl Park to exit of State Park. A full 275 of those were on dirt. Epic trip.

Headed into BBNP
IMG_2017-X2.jpg

Patrick and I lined up to make the last part of the run into Santa Elena Canyon (late of course)
IMG_5776-X3.jpg

Epic paved run from the NP to the SP
IMG_5880.jpg

At the Uranium mine
IMG_6044-X3.jpg

Headed down from Road to Nowhere
IMG_2398-X2.jpg

Epic trail indeed
IMG_6227-X3.jpg

Map of our GPS tracks. I'd say we covered a lot of ground in 3 days.
image.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2048.jpg
    IMG_2048.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_5776.jpg
    IMG_5776.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6044.jpg
    IMG_6044.jpg
    360.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2398.jpg
    IMG_2398.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6228.jpg
    IMG_6228.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

wngrog

Adventurer
I am looking forward to seeing more of the State Park. Also, I would have loved for you guys to see Palo Pinto Road and the loop through the Davis Mountains. Both are incredible. Hate we were limited on time.

Palo Pinto Road

IMG_9408.jpg

IMG_9417.jpg

IMG_9420.jpg

Davis Mountains

IMG_9439.jpg

IMG_9440.jpg

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
Wow! What a well documented trip. Great pics. Thanks for giving us some solid info to review for our March trip.

Cheers

Butch

BlindWilly

TXpedition
I'm headed back there for a week in just 3 more weeks.
Although we are base camping and wheeling some of the usual trails, I am pre-scouting for an overland trip through the park for next Xmas-NYE.
My goal is to start at Tres Papalotes and work my way west, hitting some of the tougher trails, ending up at Casa Ramon north of the East Casa Piedra trailhead. From there, hopefully I'll have enough gas to get refilled.
I want to hit fresno canyon, the Guale 2 campground and some other spots I have yet to identify.

This was some great photographs and write ups.

huachuca

Adventurer
Great narrative and awesome photos; the missus and I really enjoyed the report. Although we live in NC, Big Bend has been our favorite destination since the late 70's and we return as often as possible. Every year we say we're going to make BBRSP yet we always find enough to do in the NP to use up all our time. Your TR has given us new incentives. Thanks for posting.

wngrog

Adventurer
Where do you live in North Carolina? My kids go to camp in Brevard every summer so we get up there at least 2x a year. Great state.

huachuca

Adventurer
Thanks for the compliment, we like it.

We're in the northeastern corner of the state, about 100 miles inland and 50 miles south of the Va line. Before retirement, I spent a lot of time in Meridian and Jackson on business and still stay in touch with friends there. Good people, I always felt welcome when down there.

We do a fair bit of camping in Nantahala NF. Let me know the next time you're up this way, maybe we can join up for a ride. Even better, plan to stay a few extra days and I'll show you around our Outer Banks.

Al

freedomrider

Ordinary average guy
Great trip report. Only critique is that a peccary isn't a rodent; but you're right that it isn't in the pig family either. I'm curious what constitutes a "real" Dr. Pepper. Texas doesn't allow real coca in them does it. :)

Davidw

Observer
Pure cane sugar I believe is the difference. But of course I thought Javelinas were of the rodent family. I had to look it up. I knew they weren't pigs though.

wngrog

Adventurer
I thought they were rodents. Good to know!

There was a bottler there in Dublin for years. They made the cane sugar variant. It was sadly closed but now it is produced elsewhere and still only sold in small bottles in a 4 county area in Texas.

JamesC

Adventurer
Excellent trip report of the area and WOW you guys covered a lot of ground. Each of the places you visited has so much to offer. I have definitely learned over the years that I enjoy things a lot more by getting to know a stop well before moving to the next. I've been travelling to Big Bend country fairly regularly for only about 15yrs, since I moved to TX, and while I'm ok on the NP and BG we've barely scratched the surface of BBRSP, yet.

Also, it looks like the winds cooperated a bit with the drone which can be challenging in this area!

mccustomize

Explorer
I thought they were rodents. Good to know!

There was a bottler there in Dublin for years. They made the cane sugar variant. It was sadly closed but now it is produced elsewhere and still only sold in small bottles in a 4 county area in Texas.

Our local HEb stocks canned 12 packs of the Dr. P made with imperial cane sugar, green cans like the green labels on the bottles, just FYI. Excellent trip report, I can't wait to go in April.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan