Big Bend National Park and Ranch State Park - January 2016

wngrog

Adventurer
Here is the link to the 2 minute Uranium Mine Drone Video

[video]https://youtu.be/loIG3uOeQxQ[/video]

wngrog

Adventurer
I caught up with the other three as they were beginning the Road to Nowhere into El Solitario

IMG_4156-X3.jpg

IMG_4107-X3.jpg

The road uphill narrows considerably....

IMG_4160-X3.jpg

IMG_4167-X3.jpg

IMG_4168-X3.jpg

wngrog

Adventurer
The Road to Nowhere is one of the coolest trails ever. It is not hard but it is just so remote and beautiful. I truly loved it.

IMG_4176-X3.jpg

IMG_4172-X3.jpg

IMG_4179-X3.jpg

IMG_4180-X3.jpg

IMG_4183-X3.jpg

wngrog

Adventurer
I heard over the radio that the first guys had reached NOWHERE. I got an empty feeling in my stomach knowing that when I got to NOWHERE, everything after would take me back to reality. We were 1300 miles into our expo and about 1000 miles from home.

IMG_4190-2880x1920.jpg

Someone has a great sense of humor......

IMG_4196-2880x1920.jpg

Headed down, I got over my attitude right and started enjoying the ride again.

IMG_4200-2880x1920.jpg

IMG_4204-2880x1920.jpg

IMG_4209-2880x1920.jpg

One. Happy. Dude.

IMG_4225-X3.jpg

wngrog

Adventurer
This trail sign should be mobile so I could put it on EVERY trail I had done in the last week.........

IMG_4232-X3.jpg

Funny story, when we came in on Saturday, the hot park lady told us that there would be marathon runners in the park on Sunday and to watch out for them.

This group was getting attacked (or approached) by a group of free range Longhorn Cattle when we passed by. They asked us to be a diversion while they ran by. We did. They did.

IMG_4234-X3.jpg

The next week a mutual friend of Andy and the runners combined stories to realize that the "saved" runner was a Cruiser owner from San Antonio.......crazy.......

Sadly, at this point leaving was a reality. We talked to the (not hot) ranger on duty and they told us we could go out via Presidio and save 20 miles of non pavement or we could take the direct route to Marfa on gravel. We chose OFF Road.....and we are so glad we did......

IMG_4241-X3.jpg

IMG_4242-X3.jpg

IMG_4250-X3.jpg

Patrick's favorite sign.......

IMG_4257-X3.jpg

wngrog

Adventurer
The drive out of BBRSP is epic. The calichi road is wide and smooth. I hit 80 mph on a few stretches and it was awesome. The hills floated and we spaced as not to eat dust.

IMG_4260-X3.jpg

IMG_4262-X3.jpg

We hit pavement about 10 miles south of Marfa and early dinner on Sunday......

IMG_4265-X3.jpg

IMG_4268-X3.jpg

IMG_4267-X3.jpg

.......but first, we had to pass inspection....

IMG_4272-X3.jpg

Marfa is where we split up. Fireman and his perfect family headed NE to Wichita Falls, Andy made the Cannonball run to West Monroe and Run PMc and I ordered a pizza in Marfa

IMG_4274-X3.jpg

Most everything in Marfa is closed on Sunday, but this new Pizza joint was open on the east side of town. It was MONEY

image-1597x1252.jpg

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
TTHANK YOU for this report! Wife and I were at BBNP over Thanksgiving with Frenchie (trip report to come, although it seems a bit redundant now...) but we had to bypass BBRSP.
So my question is about your "egress" route: Some of the maps I've seen show a road heading North out of the East end of the park (Bandera Mesa Road) but I had thought that was a private road and there was some question about whether it was accessible? On the official state park map it reads "access pending" so is that the one you took out of BBRSP?
EDIT: Never mind. Looks like you took Casa Piedra road out of the park heading North towards Marfa?
Hey, did you see the Marfa lights? :elkgrin:

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Oh, one more question: From your picture, it looked like most of the trails were fairly mild and long-wheelbase-vehicle friendly, yes? I know the ones in BBNP were.
If you look at my sig you'll see why I'm asking. :sombrero:

wngrog

Adventurer
The trails we did in BBRSP could be done in a Suburban. There are lots of hard trails there that you would want to avoid. Lots of pin striping too so be prepared.

If you get to Marfa on a Sunday most everything is closed but the pizza joint across from Family Dollar is legit and open.

A

Last edited:

SmoothLC

Explorer
Great write-up and photography. Makes me want to go. In your opinion, when is the best time of year to head down there?

wngrog

Adventurer
Anytime but July and August. While I loved my July trip it was crazy hot. See that trip report. First post there is a link

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1