Big trucks & Tiny Trails...

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I'd rather have my beater Jeep than my F250 when the trail gets too tight like that.

Problem with a tight trail like that, that a fullsize or Tahoe can allmost fit down, is that it's extremely boring and lame in a Jeep. Jeeps are so good at what they do that it's really no fun at all. The only way I can still have fun is by turning up the speed (motorcycle) or turning up the challenge (backpack, mountain bike) Chances are I'll never own another Jeep ever again unless I age bad and can't enjoy the outdoors on foot or bike anymore. I wouldn't mind building a rock buggy out of my old Jeep parts.

Quick question. Deos that trail actually go anywhere?, or is it just some goofy road for playthings that goes nowhere? Usually a road/trail that actually goes somewhere worth going to, is generally about wide enough for a fullsize. IE It goes to a campsite, park, trailhead, etc. etc. Yeah, roads that go nowhere are going to be tight, if I'm after a watering hole, stealth campsite, etc., I just ditch my F250 as deep as I can get it to while still finding a spot that deosn't block anyone else, and walk or unload my CRF450r or mountain bike(s). There is a big difference between traveling offroad with a purpose, and just playing around trying to entertain yourself. Obviously a dirtbike or Jeep is going to be better at playtime.

On te other hand, an ugly rust bucket fullsize can fit down tight trails fine since you don't mind pinstriping..... Shiny, waxed up rides, really don't make the best hardcore wheelers no mater which one you pick.

For the most part, I can fit my F250 anywhere worth going to in my area. You have to decide for yourself where you're going and why, then pick the proper vehicle.

Last edited:

High_Country

Adventurer
I too have thought about this a lot as I start to get into this lifestyle. I have a 2011 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 (diesel) and it's for SURE a full size rig. I want to be able to explore the Rocky Mountains (southern Colorado on up), Utah, and the Pacific Northwest and hope that I can get most places I want to go. From what I've heard/read/seen so far, it has been consistent with what Buliwyf said - most of the true 'expedition' or overlanding trails in that part of the country are big enough to allow my rig to get through. sure there may be spurs and other offshoots that are tighter, but those are optional. I hope that I'll be okay as I start out.

I think ultimately, while this won't answer your question, it's a matter of what trails YOU want to do and then do the research and buy / build your rig to fit what you want.

The northeast is a differant animal than Ohio or the western states. Trails that go places can be very tight with low hanging branches, also plenty of rock, just the nature off the beast. One of the problems is most trails are jeep trails. One thing to know about the woods around here is that anything left to it's own for very long is going to be over grown in a very short time. Which is why most trails are jeep trails. Oh and didn't watch video on dial-up.

TheAlmightySam

Adventurer
From what I've heard/read/seen so far, it has been consistent with what Buliwyf said - most of the true 'expedition' or overlanding trails in that part of the country are big enough to allow my rig to get through. sure there may be spurs and other offshoots that are tighter, but those are optional. I hope that I'll be okay as I start out.

Here in the PNW, this tends to be true. West of the Cascades, there are plenty of tight trails that I can't fit my Dodge down, but they tend to be the wheeling kind of trails, not the ones that really "go anywhere." On trails, trees grow in quickly, so you have to be prepared for pinstripes, but that's just par for the course.

East of the mountains, trails open up considerably.

Since I'm not a hardcore wheeler, I haven't found the switch from an XJ to a fullsize Dodge to be a significant detriment. I'd love the turning circle of the old Jeep, but in reality, I haven't found the limitations of the Dodge to be that big of a deal in my travels.

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
Quick question. Deos that trail actually go anywhere?, or is it just some goofy road for playthings that goes nowhere? On te other hand, an ugly rust bucket fullsize can fit down tight trails fine since you don't mind pinstriping..... Shiny, waxed up rides, really don't make the best hardcore wheelers no mater which one you pick.

The trail goes to a local pond that is only accessable from that trail

everyone has jeep's around here so I went a different route

I thought it was a valid concern, the higher & wider we go, only serves to makes things more problematic etc

leelikesbikes

Adventurer
i just went from a jeep tj with ome suspension on 35's to an 03 dodge 2500 reg cab with carli suspension and 37's and i gotta say im pretty impressed with where the big truck will go, if you dont care about paint, before the jeep i had a tacoma excab on full widths and 37s, it was actually a little wider track width than my dodge because of the 10" wide wheels, but the body was much narrower, the dodge has a tighter turning radius though, with the coil front end the tires dont get into the springs. ive had the truck into gallagher head lake and van epps pass no prob, im looking forward to taking it to naches as soon as i get 4.56's and lockers f/r. there are definately limitations for a fullsize rig, but i havent missed the jeep too much, its nice to be able to load up all my camping gear, dogs, dirtbikes and remote camp, that was hard to do with the jeep - even though i had a trailer for it. i would rather take the dodge into a gnarly spot than the jeep and trailer. just my 2cents

tacr2man

Adventurer
My 2/100ths , it tends to be where and by what the trails were mostly made or used by . I have found both in UK and Australia , that US full size trucks were at a disadvantage in these locations when tagging along as their extra width brought them into conflict with narrow tree gaps and also on rutted tracks as they tended to scrape one side or other when the wheels of one side were in the groove. Its not there was a fault with the truck per se , but just that most tracks in certain areas are made by smaller European or japanese 4x4 . You get the same thing with a unimog in such company . You dont get it with a tatra as it just makes its own trail !!! :smiley_drive:

Taking a chain saw along usually sorts quite a few problems :Wow1:

CodyY

Explorer
Just stay off my singletrack. Or i will shoot you in the face. :bike_rider:

seriously though, I once saw some quadtards with a UTV and a chainsaw on marked singletrack and had we had a nice little conversation with them.

Last edited:

TACO721

Observer
Just stay off my singletrack. Or i will shoot you in the face. :bike_rider:

seriously though, I once saw some quadtards with a UTV and a chainsaw on marked singletrack and had we had a nice little conversation with them.

ok that bothers me. all tho i keep the 2 wheels for a track. and atvs/rhino for the woods. but thats just ****** up!

anyways. i really like my ’07 tacoma. i’m not lifted yet. but width i like it. to to big really. i would not want anything bigger tho. when i lift i may go to a little wider tire. i think stock is 7.5 or 8” will go to a 9”. also with the v6 i can tow 6500# if i need to.

Heloflyboy

Adventurer
Tiny trails

I solved the same problem by getting my wife (haha) a suzuki samurai. It flat tows very easy behind most vehicles and goes down most trails easily. I picked this one up for about 3k and it was pretty done up for the trail already.
IMG_20120302_170046.jpg

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
My Power Wagon can handle things my Wrangler couldn't ---- but trails aren't one of them.
It likes to tow, it likes to climb hills, it likes rotten roads to a certain degree. But it just can't thread the needle or crest a hill-top like a smaller rig.

Size matters...

It likes this:
SEOverlandRallyWorkshop2011081.jpg

And this:
Roadtrip20111095_crop.jpg

But not this:
SEOverlandRallyWorkshop2011052.jpg

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
My Power Wagon can handle things my Wrangler couldn't ---- but trails aren't one of them.
It likes to tow, it likes to climb hills, it likes rotten roads to a certain degree. But it just can't thread the needle or crest a hill-top like a smaller rig.

But not this:
SEOverlandRallyWorkshop2011052.jpg

Exactly there is not enough wiggle room

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears