Bigwapiti's 2011 Tundra build...'BIG NAMBE'

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
All,

I just got through with installing my 8" Bamuffler system from Keith Carty and Dirty Deeds industries. Keith makes these exhaust systems by hand, and these are considered the gold standard in Toyota Tundra circles. I chose to get this new exhaust due to Toyota making a very restrictive OEM muffler, me wanting my rig to 'exhale' a little easier. I will not post up drone / no drone videos because I believe this to be redundant. Keith has been VERY helpful is deciding what system to get, and he was spot on...I was looking for a 'Wolf in sheep's clothing', and the 8" system, with the Helmholtz resonator, was just the ticket. I was fortunate enough to get in my order when he was ahead of schedule. Got my system 1.5 weeks ahead of time. UPS dropped off this 'mummified body of sorts' on my doorstep 1 week ago...wife and kids were concerned about what the UPS man delivered...

I have NEVER seen a package this carefully wrapped ever. His packing tape bill must be horrendous. It took about an act of Congress to get this system unpacked...As you can see, the weld beads are like a stack of quarters. This thing is all beef with everything made of stainless steel. I opted for the "Cleveland special 2.0" due to the heavily salted Winter roads in the Midwest.

The install was not TOO bad. I am not mechanically inclined at all, however, this was pretty straight forward. I am not going to share how long it took though...;)The tough part of my install was the rusted / seized bolts. Nothing that my FUBAR and breaker bar couldn't handle :D. The system is literally 'bolt on' with no need for my big hammer to persuade things. Hangers were in the perfect position...

I decided to hold off on the Helmholtz resonator for a couple of days just to see how the drone was. In my opinion, the drone was TOO much for me, and I was starting to have a little buyer's remorse.
Yeah, I'm too old and it was too loud. Following a quick call to Keith, he reassured me that the Helmholtz will make it all good again. I sealed the flanges of the resonator with Permatex Ultra Copper RTV sealant, and it fit like a glove. Following my install of the resonator, the drone in the cab was just like stock, if not better. I called Keith to congratulate him on being a genius and that the 8" system was the right one for me...
I have since installed a Hypertech interceptor (HTI) tuner as well. My Winter mpgs numbers since the additions are VERY good. During the Winter prior to the additions, I would average 11.4 - 11.8 mpgs. With the HTI and the 8" Bamuffler system, I'm getting 13.4 mpgs...Better mileage + sounds like a beast = happy, happy, happy
Regards,
BWJ

Last edited:

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Is the new exhaust system lighter than the stock system? Where does that pipe t tap to the system go to?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
Is the new exhaust system lighter than the stock system? Where does that pipe t tap to the system go to?

I would say that the weight is about the same...This system replaces the OEM muffler from the cat back to the tailpipe...

I don't know what the pipe t tap is...Can you give me some specifics? Sorry!

Regards,

BWJ

Last edited:

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Ah I want a lighter exhaust system that sounds stock when cruising but makes a little noise when throttling is ok

The last picture shows a pipe tapped into it??

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
Ah I want a lighter exhaust system that sounds stock when cruising but makes a little noise when throttling is ok

The last picture shows a pipe tapped into it??

I just 'googled' the t tap. This is the Helmholtz resonator. It comes with the Bamuffler system. This eliminates the drone at 70-75 mpgs...I've got the best of both worlds. Mine sounds stock when I cruise, but then it pops when I step on the gas...

Regards,

BWJ

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
OME leafs with add-a-leaf...

All,
I had noticed awhile back that my rig was getting heavier as the armamentarium grew. I could notice a distinct 'sag' from the side shot. Driveability has never been an issue ~ Tundra has been rock solid. However, I am getting to the point of asking myself "What do I truly need?". I can tell you that this question is leading me down a path that I have never really considered or thought of too much. Do I REALLY need a cant hook AND felling lever? Do I REALLY need 2x 5 gallon air tanks? Hmmmmmmm. To be honest, I guess everyone goes through this simplification process at one time or another. There is something to be said about intellectual and armamentarial simplification...Anyways, onto the pics.
Here she is several months ago. Notice that she is a tad below level in the rear, kind of a 'California' rake.
The problem is more noticeable from underneath the rig. Even with 2" rear shackles + 1" Deaver add-a-leafs, I could see that the original leaf springs were not getting the job done. Notice the first spring is inverting and the second is flat...Yikes.

I made a quick call and sent a photo to Wil at Sierra Expeditions. He recommended OME Dakar HD leaf springs with the add-a-leafs. I have had these for quite sometime now, and I here are my thoughts. The ride is smooth. Again, more of a supple feel when going over bumps. That being said, she is heavy. I took my rig over the Continental divide last summer, and it did just fine. I never had an issue at all. First pic is coming into the Great Sand dune after Medano pass. Second pic is having lunch at the Alpine tunnel...

One issue that I am having is the leafs squeak. It is awful. I have since contacted arbUSA about this issue, and they recommended that I place marine grade grease in between the leafs. I tried conventional grease, dry graphite lube, etc...all to no avail. I used one whole tube of this stuff, and it seems to be working so far. A slight squeak is detectable, but it seems to be improved markedly.

Now, I can see that the leafs issue is better than before and my sag is eliminated. These photos don't really depict what is going on for some reason. These were the best pics that I took ~ sorry...

BEFORE
AFTER
.​
I am looking at new ways to lighten the weight and simplify. I am realizing that I really don't need to carry the kitchen sink. Stay tuned...
.​
Regards,
.​
BWJ

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I know all about the weight issues. Been there done that. Every time i see a build. Weight is top of my mind but no one will understand till they been there. It's hard not to overpack when trying to be ready for anything.

MINO

Adventurer
Good choice on the OME Dakar + Add a leaf combo. I've had it on my Tundra with a 1100lb (ish) pop-up camper for almost a year and have been very happy with the package. Works so well, I never got around to doing airbags - may never will.

YM5A5866.jpg

Haven't heard any squeaks - could be my weight. We take everything + the kitchen sink.

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
I know all about the weight issues. Been there done that. Every time i see a build. Weight is top of my mind but no one will understand till they been there. It's hard not to overpack when trying to be ready for anything.

.​
Yep, its part of finding your 'way'. Besides the basic recovery items, I'm going to trim back a lot of things that I have not used since I bought the truck. I'm finding out the difference between good weight and bad weight, if that makes sense...Stay tuned.
.​
BWJ....what an awesome build!! Your attention to detail is remarkable!!
.​
Thanks for the kind words! I appreciate it!
.​

Good choice on the OME Dakar + Add a leaf combo. I've had it on my Tundra with a 1100lb (ish) pop-up camper for almost a year and have been very happy with the package. Works so well, I never got around to doing airbags - may never will.

View attachment 219313

Haven't heard any squeaks - could be my weight. We take everything + the kitchen sink.
.​
Keep a close eye on those leafs overtime. This rig serves as my daily driver, so I am really wanting to assess everything and be intentional in all that I put on it...
.​
Regards,
.​
BWJ

Last edited:

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
Daystar, ARB and ICON...

All,
.​
Sorry I have not had a chance to update my rig for awhile...I have been busy with Royals postseason baseball and life in general. Anyways, here are some updates on my rig.
.​
Daystar airbag cradles - I was concerned that the lift that I had was a little too tall for my airbags. I currently have Old Man Emu HD leaf springs and an OME add-a-leaf + coachbuilder 2" shackles. This combination works well, however, I was concerned with my Airlift loadlifter bags being too taught. I could have added another 1" spacer disc, however, I was growing concerned with the taughtness of my bag without any articulation. Here is a pic of my bag with the truck sitting in the driveway.
.​
.​
These cradles will allow for articulation due to not requiring the bag to be affixed at both ends. These fit the diameter of my Airlift bags and I went with it. Here it is now...
.​
.​
ARB Old Man Emu greasable shackles and pins - My leaf springs SQUEAK like a banshee. I have tried everything from pieces of pond lining in between to graphite spray...This issue was driving me crazy. I have been in contact with ARB for over a year to troubleshoot this issue. I must say that they have been exceptional in trying to resolve this for me. I noticed this issue even after adding Coachbuilder 2" shackles and his full bushing kit. ARB recently sent me a greasable pin / shackle kit that they just released. They only problem is I had to replace the 2" shackles from Coachbuilder to do it. I figure since I am in over $400 in labor in trying to resolve this issue, I would give it a go ~ SORRY COACH. These pins are hollow and have a threaded greasable zerk on one end. ARB recommended that I use a lithium based marine grease. I am happy to report that the squeak is no longer there without having to turn up my stereo...I'll keep you all updated on this issue. Here are some eye candy pics. Shackles aren't as beefy as Coach's, but they are serviceable at the moment...
.​

.​
.​
ICON Vehicle Dynamics 2.5" piggyback shocks - I got a screaming deal on a pair of these directly from ICON. With my constant load, I have decided to address this by upgrading as much of the suspension as possible. I feel that the 2.5" diameter is better able to handle anything that I drive my truck over ~ peace of mind is a beautiful thing. Depending on how the new drawer project leads, I'm probably going to have to accept that my rig is going to be heavy...We will see though.
.​
.​
You can see the difference between my 2" Bilstein 5100 series shock on the right with the ICON 2.5" on the left.
.​

.​
.​
Initial observation is that these are a different ride than that of the Billies. They seem more supple and my wheels seem to be contacting the road even more. I'll get back to you as I get some miles with these. Here are some parting shots of the shocks ~ ENJOY!
.​

.​

.​
.​
Happy Thanksgiving!
.​
Regards,
.​
BWJ

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads