Bigwapiti's 2011 Tundra build...'BIG NAMBE'

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
Diggin the progress on your rear bumper! Still awaiting pics of it installed on your truck!

I was looking back at your pics of the roof rack- how does the Baja Rack mount? Did you have to drill into the shell?

Thanks,
RFA

I had Yakima tracks installed at the factory ~ I was told if I did it myself, it would void the warranty...

Baja Rack made some custom feet that slide into the track itself and then it bolts to the floor of rack. I don't have a pic of the Snugtop, however, I have one from my old 4runner.

IMG_0171.jpg

IMG_2857.jpg

Hope this helps.

Regards,

BWJ

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
Bumper has been shipped from EXO...

All,

I just got some pics of the bumper and the latching system. This process has taken time, however, the end result is worth the wait. I am going to 'tweak' the carrier at Atomic fab, then to RML powdercoating, then installed. Tweaks will include a modular case rack ~ pelican with recovery gear, a swing down table and a rotopax. Also, I'm going to fab up a locking pin system so I can lock the tire carrier at various open positions. I'll have to see when it gets here...

EXO fabbed up a custom latch system. Originally, the latching system on their ExPo Tundra was electric, and was riddled with problems. So this is their solution. From what I understand, it is mechanical and far more reliable. I'll be the judge of that. Here are the pics...**not the most focused pics in the world** I'll get better pics when its mocked up on my rig.

129_1108_09towering_tundraopen_bed_area_zpsda61e00f.jpg

latch_zpsd066ec8f.jpg

latch2_zps8d41b7a5.jpg

latch3_zps00cbe2cc.jpg

latch6_zps30e03583.jpg

Regards,

BWJ

I had Yakima tracks installed at the factory ~ I was told if I did it myself, it would void the warranty...

Baja Rack made some custom feet that slide into the track itself and then it bolts to the floor of rack. I don't have a pic of the Snugtop, however, I have one from my old 4runner.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

BWJ

Thanks for the pictures, they really do help. Leaves me a bit bummed to find out that if I install them myself I void the warranty. I was looking at Baja Rack as an option. However, there's always the custom Aluminess one... :)
roof-rack-31_lg.jpeg

All,

I just got some pics of the bumper and the latching system. This process has taken time, however, the end result is worth the wait. I am going to 'tweak' the carrier at Atomic fab, then to RML powdercoating, then installed. Tweaks will include a modular case rack ~ pelican with recovery gear, a swing down table and a rotopax. Also, I'm going to fab up a locking pin system so I can lock the tire carrier at various open positions. I'll have to see when it gets here...

EXO fabbed up a custom latch system. Originally, the latching system on their ExPo Tundra was electric, and was riddled with problems. So this is their solution. From what I understand, it is mechanical and far more reliable. I'll be the judge of that. Here are the pics...**not the most focused pics in the world** I'll get better pics when its mocked up on my rig.

Regards,

BWJ

Looks awesome! Excited to see some pictures of it on your rig. Your truck is sweet.

-RFA

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
EXO bumper is on...Mock up only

All,

Here she is. I just got back from Atomic Fabworks and I have the bumper on in raw metal. Why? Well I wanted to have the bumper on my rig for a short amount of time to work out any 'bugs' that might exist. All in all, EXO makes an exceptional product, and I am VERY pleased with the results. I have waited patiently for 10 months now, and if I had to do it again, I would without hesitation. I would rather wait and get it done right, than get a product that was rushed to make a deadline.

A special shout out to the guys at Atomic Fabworks (Steve, Brandon and Kelly). They have exceeded my expectations once again. They really care about the installation ~ even down to the smallest details. They had the insight and expertise to avoid issues that I did not even think existed. That comes with experience and care...By the way, Atomic's race team placed 2nd overall (barely edged out of 1st) in the King of Hammer's stock UTV class. Not only do they work hard, they play hard as well. Congrats to them all.

Now back to the topic at hand. Every aspect of this bumper reflects quality, engineering and artistry in one stout package. It is overbuilt ~ PERIOD. What I appreciate are the simple lines, however, don't let that fool you. This bumper and swing out are BEEFY and I have no hesitation in winching with these bumpers on. They are that strong.

IMG_0686_zpsa6b8132d.jpg

After the process of replacing my stock 'bumpers', I would like to offer a word of caution. The OEM bumpers that are on your rigs currently are WOEFULLY inadequate. I did not realize how thin the metal was that make up the OEM bumpers. It is all for cosmetics and having the ability to crumple at the first sign of resistance. Deer vs. Tundra OEM bumpers; the Tundra would win, however, you will have a TON of damage depending on the size of the deer...Just sayin'. The rear tow hitch is the only thing in the way between your family, frame and the rear ender...Yikes. Not anymore in my house.

IMG_0459.jpg

IMG_0659_zps329c094c.jpg

I chose to go with the single swing out because one is plenty for me. I like the utility of the single and it keeps the spare within close reach. I didn't snap any pics of the the bumper on the pallet. I was too excited to get this thing on and ready to go. Anyway, onto the pics...

IMG_0663_zps5ee3cdc4.jpg

IMG_0661_zpsa21a8596.jpg

As with any install, we had to shim and tweak a bit. I don't think that this is avoidable. The tolerances of this bumper were as tight as a one-off custom job. I ought to know, I had custom bumpers installed on my previous rig that took 9 weeks to fabricate and install. I think that EXO's ability to maintain their tolerances while doing custom work is one of a kind. Don't let the fact that these are 'mass produced' scare you off. They are that good...

One concern that I had was the obstruction of the back-up camera with the spare tire. My tire is a 295/75 r17 (33") and I did not know how this was going to interfere with the camera. I will admit that I am SPOILED with this piece of technology ~ especially when I'm hooking up my SHERPA II. Here is a picture of my rear view camera. Not too bad in my opinion.

IMG_0670_zps7b09d90d.jpg

Finally, here are some driveway pics...

IMG_0672_zps25e8ec7f.jpg

IMG_0676_zpsad58f3ad.jpg

IMG_0674_zpsbaf1d2c7.jpg

IMG_0681_zps4dc8a2fe.jpg

IMG_0680_zps932370be.jpg

IMG_0691_zpsce17c778.jpg

IMG_0694_zps5b095300.jpg

IMG_0684_zps938964fc.jpg

IMG_0688_zps65776de4.jpg

Prior to the trip to the powder coater, I will be having Atomic fab up a fold down table and a locking pin system that will prop the carrier at various open angles. As usual, I will post up pics when I get them.

I'll post up the post powder coat pics in a few weeks. After that: On board air / Camp, camp, camp...

Regards,

BWJ

toyotech

Expedition Leader
sweet rear bumper and swing out. you can always move the tire over a few for a better view thru the camera

Guri

Explorer
Man, I'm jealous (in the good way). Your truck looks really good! Congratulations and I hope you can enjoy it with many trips and miles to come!.
Well done!

Dgurley2000

Adventurer
Bumper is looking good! I like the idea of using it before finish so you can make modifications.

I may have missed it, what are you planning on doing with the space where the spare tire was previously located?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears