BKCowGod's Pre-Pre-Frontier Build (Datsun 720)

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
(This will probably be pretty boring - I am using ExPo bandwidth as a place to keep track of everything I am/want to/will/need to/do/did to my new daily driver/ski/small camp truck)

The Vehicle: 1983 Datsun 720 4x4 King Cab. 2.4l Nissan Z engine, 5 speed manual, 2 speed transfer case. Crank windows, no a/c, no traction control, no airbags, drum brakes.

NOTE: 1983 was the last year for vehicles to be titled as Datsuns, so my truck has badges for both Nissan and Datsun. Legacy from WW2, Nissan was worried that Americans wouldn't buy a car made by a company that killed their soldiers, so they created "Datsun." which became "Nissan, by Datsun" which became "Datsun, by Nissan" which became "Nissan."

The Purpose: I have so many project vehicles that sometimes it is nice to just get in a car and drive it and know that you will be comfortable and make it where you need to go. While this truck will undergo some basic modifications, for the most part it will remain a reliable and comfortable daily truck. That said, for short local trips where the Beast is unnecessary and for snow trips and for gravel road duty, I expect this truck to be able to perform.

The Budget: $1500
Expenses as of 1/6/11: $1233
Purchase - $600
Smog test - $50
Spraypaint - $15
Stereo - $50
Speakers - $40
Fog Lights - $15
Carburetor - $280
Camper Shell - $50
Superwinch Hubs - $37
MSD Ignition Box - $95

I traded a motorcycle straight across. The motorcycle could have sold easily for $500, or if I got the right person I could have gotten $600. So we assign a value of $600 to the truck, leaving $900 for upgrades and repairs.

Driveline: Stock, with the original Hitachi carb swapped out for a Weber 32/26 progressive. This is not only a huge performance and reliability upgrade, but is also cheaper than a rebuilt stock carb.

Wheels, Tires, Suspension: Stock again. The steel wheels have been painted "Cast Iron" at a total cost of $6. The tires were replaced with Yokohama Geolandars in 30x9.5-15. Shocks will be Rancho RS5000.

Bed: Primered it already ($12) and prepped it for Herculiner ($45). $50 Shell and watching Craigs for a better one.

Interior: Seats are incredibly comfortable. Driver even has adjustable lumbar support. Spraypainted the vinyl on the center console and it looks like new(ish). Radio is an iPod capable Sony connected to MB Quart speakers. I may install one of those cheapo 12v fridge units behind the seat - in the summer, my insulin can get mighty hot and mighty useless, mighty fast.

Other: The front end got a pair of yellow beam fogs ($15). The main lights will be upgraded to H4 units ($50).

Current Photo:
IMG_2527.JPG

Last edited:

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I love it. Very clean and appears to be in great shape for that vintage. What a great pick-up (pun not intended) for $600.

mattsavage

Observer
awesome rig...

Those seats are in great shape! They must have been replaced at some point, cause they're usually the first thing to go on the interior of these trucks.

I'm subscribing... I have an 84 KC with a Flip Pac that I'll be restoring to reliable, daily driver condition.

i'm looking at about $5000, though. Engine rebuild, new brakes all the way around, various front end/suspension work... the list goes on. Actually, it should be less, since I did the tranny last winter.

Watch the head gasket on the Z24's, they like to go... You got that to pass emissions in CA with Webers on there? I've read on 720World that that's hard to do...

Last edited:

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
Those seats are in great shape! They must have been replaced at some point, cause they're usually the first thing to go on the interior of these trucks.

I'm subscribing... I have an 84 KC with a Flip Pac that I'll be restoring to reliable, daily driver condition.

i'm looking at about $5000, though. Engine rebuild, new brakes all the way around, various front end/suspension work... the list goes on. Actually, it should be less, since I did the tranny last winter.

Watch the head gasket on the Z24's, they like to go... You got that to pass emissions in CA with Webers on there? I've read on 720World that that's hard to do...

Nice - I actually got it to pass with a completely toasted Hitachi... It barely even runs, but it still managed to have low emissions!

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
Thank you eBay... Bought some fog lights and a shop manual, and soon I will have some tunes in it! Snagged a Jensen Heavy Duty receiver (designed for semis, I think it will be perfect for my needs) that I will wire to one of my old iPods. I love the classic looks of this stereo, I think they will blend much better with the interior of the truck. These sell new for $300, but I kept it under $100 by buying a demo unit. The receiver is going to be powering a pair of 6.5" MB Quart speakers. I've always been a fan of MBQ, and for $40 I am quite happy.

Install will be discussed as soon as the big brown truck disgorges its gifts!
h522JHD3510-f_orange.jpg

dkg116_3.jpg

Oh yeah, and I just filled up the tank - broke the 20mpg mark without even trying.

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
NOTE TO SELF: Previous owner was more of an idiot than I thought. And I am an idiot for not checking his work...

So today I went up to my parents' house to do the timing belt on the Porsche, then realized I left the P-Car's keys at home. Decided to get greasy on the truck instead... I truly believe that vehicles know when they have passed into the ownership of someone who cares about them, and they reward you for it.

I was checking around under the hood, tracing vacuum lines, when on a whim I looked at the plug wires - they were all misrouted. I cannot for the life of me tell you how it ran (and passed smog!) with how bodged up they were, but I routed them properly and set the timing and now it is purring. Still relatively gutless, but it cruised up Alba Road (one of the steepest in the state) just fine at 35. There are definitely still issues with this carb, but I am happy that I can put off the $300 Weber for a little while... Funds are terrifyingly low at the moment.

Oh, I also got rid of the clicky-clicky from the front end, so I have real, relatively quiet 4x4 now too. All freeeeeee!

Last edited:

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
Woohoo! Installed the stereo today and it sounds great. I'll get some pix tomorrow when it's light.

This Jensen unit is pretty amazing, and actually perfect for overlanding:
* 0 battery draw when the car is off. Instead it has a cap that stores your settings for 30 days.
* NOAA weather alert with selectable automatic override.
* iPod and Sirius built in, MP3 CD capability and front aux in.
* Automatic battery monitor and shutoff.
* PA system - yup, you can plug a mic into it!
* Toughened and protected shockproof electronics - water resistant, too!
* Looks like a factory stereo - no chrome or flashies or screen savers.

I'm also very happy with the MB Quart speakers. Obviously it's not the best environment, but they sound much better than the Pioneers in the Jeep.

Feels good to have music in my truck - I hate driving without a radio, makes me antsy.

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
Finally some progress... I broke down and purchased a Weber 32/36DGEV carburetor and installed it two days ago. I still have some fine tuning to do - the secondary barrel comes on right at cruising speed, which I think is gonna kill my MPG, but this thing is straight up amazing. It totally changed the personality of this truck... Here's a few pictures:

Before:
IMG_2285.JPG

See all the fuel residue around the accelerator pump thingie? You could actually watch it spray out!:
IMG_2289.JPG

Out with the old!:
IMG_2291.JPG

In with the new:
IMG_2294.JPG

Up next, removing that nasty valve cover and painting it, doing the valve stem seals, and a valve adjustment...

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
A few notes on the carb install:

I started at 11.30 at night. Realized at midnight that things would go much faster if I threw away the "detailed instructions for your exact model" that came with the install kit from Redline. Realized at 12.15 that Redline had installed the throttle linkage upside down. Had it running at 12.30. I'm okay with that.

My truck doesn't run if you wire the spark plugs in the order shown on the cap or in the shop manuals. You have to route the exhaust wires in a slightly different order and then it runs perfectly with perfect timing, great power, no pinging, wonderful MPG, and it sails through smog. Anybody have a guess as to why? I'm at a loss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears