BKCowGod's Pre-Pre-Frontier Build (Datsun 720)

RonapRhys

Adventurer
I don't know if you know about this, but try some nuts with nylon inserts. We used to use those on aircraft to keep them from backing out during flight. I'd expect that they'd do the same with the vibrations you're seeing.

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
I don't know if you know about this, but try some nuts with nylon inserts. We used to use those on aircraft to keep them from backing out during flight. I'd expect that they'd do the same with the vibrations you're seeing.

Yah, I plan to use nylocks this time - I didn't spend enough time properly engineering my mounts, partly because I wasn't sure if I had picked my final location and partly because I had so much to get done in a very short timeframe once I committed to the Mojave trip.

red87

Adventurer
Does OME make anything for your truck? Their shocks have been working very well for me. Also, you could use a typical lockwasher on the bolts that hold your shell on. I've been using those and have had no problem with bolts loosening, even on the terrible washboards in death valley.

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
Does OME make anything for your truck? Their shocks have been working very well for me. Also, you could use a typical lockwasher on the bolts that hold your shell on. I've been using those and have had no problem with bolts loosening, even on the terrible washboards in death valley.

OME does not... Though even if they did I wouldn't be able to afford $90/corner shocks. The $60/corner Bilsteins are stretching the budget. I am trying to find info on the Konis.

I think I have effectively proved that you do not need a big budget to go exploring. This weekend it played with some seriously built rigs and stayed with them the whole way. At no point was I even a little bit concerned about my or my dog's safety, comfort, or ability to get home. I have (including dishes, sleeping bags, tools - basically everything in the truck but gas and food) just under $1500 invested in a rig that at a moment's notice could go away for a week. I like this.

red87

Adventurer
Maybe some upgraded bumpstops then. They made a huge difference on the front of my truck and didn't cost too much.

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
Maybe some upgraded bumpstops then. They made a huge difference on the front of my truck and didn't cost too much.

Yah, as soon as I finish the top end of the Porsche, I am gonna go through and replace all the bushings and bump stops and shocks in the Nissan... Can't wait!

red87

Adventurer
I used some progressive EVS ones from Daystar to replace the stock hard rubber ones and I love them.

deadbeat son

Explorer
I love this truck! It's the prefect combination of old-school and simple. Enjoy.

***edit***

I forgot to ask; are these SFA or IFS? Not that it matters, just curious and couldn't find the specs anywhere.

Last edited:

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
I love this truck! It's the prefect combination of old-school and simple. Enjoy.

***edit***

I forgot to ask; are these SFA or IFS? Not that it matters, just curious and couldn't find the specs anywhere.

IFS... There are some who argue that the popularity of the IFS in this and the later hardbody are what led Toyota to switch over. Who knows how much truth there is to this, but I like it no matter what it inspired!

Last edited:

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
I last updated the main page of this thread in April, and since then I have moved, been in a serious car accident, entered grad school, split up with my wife, and made some changes on my priorities for this truck. I am still keeping to a budget build, but here is the progress in the last eight months or so:

* Yokohama Geolandar AT 30x9.5-15's. Technically these are not keeping with the budget, but I drive one of the deadliest roads in California every day, and tires and brakes are NOT someplace where I want to be saving some money. These things are great on the road, very quiet and grippy (for AT's). I haven't done much extensive offroad stuff, but they were able to make it up my slippery leaf covered wet muddy steep dirt access road with zero drama.

* Moved the head unit to the Audi, got a $50 Sony to replace it - new budget will reflect this.

* Installed a MSD ignition box. This thing is worth it's weight in gold - it added almost 2mpg to my average and gave me better grunt on uphill climbs.

* Re-mounted the camper with nylocks - no worries there, but I am on the lookout for a shell that is the right size for my truck. This one is about 2" too short and it annoys me.

Coming in the near(ish) future:

* Rancho RS5000 shocks. As soon as they're "buy 3, get 1 free" again. Combined with Advance Auto's eternal $50 off $200 sale, this will net me four shocks for about $120.

* I already bought the parts, but I'm completely doing the entire braking system with PBR Metal Master pads and Bilstein rotors in the front.

* I need to replace my passenger CV joint. It's clicking again.

* Getting my Ham license, then I will focus on the communications stuff. Conveniently, I think there's an old Yaesu unit somewhere in my garage.

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
Any issues on the MSD install?? Never thought about this.......

I hear it has trouble with the factory carb b/c of the twinspark thing (but it works) and you need a tachometer adapter. Otherwise, it was bolt in, took about 30min. I will put some pix up later.

FYI - I went with the cheap digital box. Even it is overkill for this truck, and it's a lot smaller than a 6A.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78