Black Friday Ambo

flightcancled

Explorer
Ken do you have a link? I have a friend that might want that. Thanks man!

Truck is going on the alignment rack today... supposedly... I saw it a few hours ago with no tires on still so who knows. Last step in a long long lay-over.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Man you've got patience. I'm getting antsy to get back on mine but won't be home for a couple more weeks or so. Tough to keep a positive face for the wife n kiddies

patoz

Expedition Leader
Man you've got patience. I'm getting antsy to get back on mine but won't be home for a couple more weeks or so. Tough to keep a positive face for the wife n kiddies

Tom, I see Mrs. 'T' still has you following that schedule of hers! :D

The heat index here was 111° yesterday, so I'm not getting anything done on mine outside. I'm just working on stuff for the inside like my First Aid Kits, Go Bag, etc. About the time you guys quit for the winter, I'll just be getting started good.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Yeah, right now we're in DC but headed on up to Maine in a couple days. She's making noises about wanting to stretch it out another week before heading home. I like traveling, but man I'm getting tired of doing all the driving

flightcancled

Explorer
So every now and again when trying to start the ambo it just clicks. Reset and try and again and it will fire up no problem. I assume that's an indication that the starter relay is on it's way out. Recently though the starters fully drained inexplicably after moving the ambo a few feet. Could that also be the relay failing somehow? I can't find anything else amiss that would be the cause.

patoz

Expedition Leader
...Recently though the starters fully drained inexplicably after moving the ambo a few feet.

Hi Alex!

Are you saying the starter won't work after the ambulance moves a few feet, or the starting batteries are drained after a few feet?

I'm confused...but then that doesn't take much these days. :confused:

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
It does sound like the relay is suspect... but it could also be battery related... or Both.

The battery drain issue could be harder to diagnose. Could be your batteries aren't holding a charge, or it could be that the alternator isn't charging them. Hows the voltage before starting, when running, and when you shut it down?

flightcancled

Explorer
We messed with it a bit more. The relay is actuating every time with gusto, but the starter appears to be dead. Even hooked to the battery charger with fully charged batteries we can barely start the engine. Ordered a new one so hopefully that clears things up. I'm a little shocked just how fast the starter died. At least now I know I have a new one of those too I guess.

I will say that the AMP light for these rigs are SUPER touchy. Both my E350 and control panel show low battery anywhere below ~12.3v I guess that's because they aren't ever supposed to be started unless immediately after being taken off shore power.

guidolyons

Addicted to Gear Oil
The relay maybe clicking, but that doesn't mean it's making full contact, the contacts on the plunger could be worn out. That doesn't explain dead batteries though.

flightcancled

Explorer
The starter was indeed dead. $200 and some cursing later it was replaced with an identical unit which immediately froze and burnt itself out. After a call to the part jockeys we found out that the starters I had been using were some sort of re-manufactured generic. For another $50 I got the real deal. The size difference, and quality of the third unit was remarkably better- much larger motor and noid, solid bearings, much nicer ground setup, etc. I guess you don't know if you don't ask.

"Last" few things are being wrapped up this week..... We hope... Then it is off to the kitchen, relocating the power inverter and house batteries, and looking at a tail bob.
Right now I am chasing a guy locally trying to pick up a sink/stove setup from a Westy that would fit in my passenger front corner perfectly and would take most of the work out of my kitchen build.

cjken

Explorer
Welcome back!!
I was thinking of you
I thought you might have some ideas
I gotta re do the joint between my box and cab. I'm getting some squeaking. I'm guessing I just wasn't hearing it till I changed tires!!

Last edited:

flightcancled

Explorer
Thanks!

UGH!!! Hobietony made replacing the foam seal sound easy. I ripped mine out over the summer after finding it was leaking badly at the corners and instantly realized I was in trouble. The gap ranged from more than wide enough at .5" down to so tight I couldn't get a putty knife in there. Putting a new seal in between a mounted box and the cab is the epitome of playing pool with a rope. After 3 evenings of cursing and screaming while baking in the sun I gave up and siliconed the gap shut an hour before a massive downpour. I will probably go back over the silicone with Silkaflex in the future. The only other option I have would be to shave away at the fiberglass extension to fit the foam in. What a miserable waste of $100.

Unfortunately Ken the correct solution is probably to unbolt the box, lift it just off the frame on blocks and drive it .5" forward, lay the seal in, and then put everything back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan