Black Friday Ambo

flightcancled

Explorer
It all depends. Ideally when Ken mounted the box he would have installed the seal. Honestly I can't blame him for forgetting, I didn't remember either. Mine was simply 23 years old and was no longer pliable enough to maintain a seal. Probably the only reason mine lasted so long is because the fiberglass extension flares up to the cab, so there is no pooling water on the roof of the cab trying to get in, and the seal was in shade more often then not.

flightcancled

Explorer
Drill Baby Drill!!

As I mentioned my rig was broken into over the summer. Some of my locks apparently were replaced at some point, or not updated when the others were. In any case I couldn't lock the passenger front door which is now a point of entry without the cabinet in the way, and the back driver side compartment never locked which meant someone could walk away with my house batteries.

I was expecting something like file- cabinet lock cores when I started the swap, but I was way off. Here is a quick write-up on swapping lock cores:

First you'll have to source your cores:
Read your compartment keys to determine which cores will match your existing locks.
http://www.fixmyambulance.com/category-s/1877.htm

Tools:
Impact driver with drill bits
Hammer
Smallish screw driver
Paper towels
Needle nose pliers
WD-40
(compressed air optional)

Remove the back plate from the door:

20151014_174615.jpg

Now find the back of the lock core. In this case it is located on the top with the L-shaped plate.

20151014_174622.jpg

Use pliers and/or a screwdriver to remove the C-clip on the lock bracket. Be careful not to damage or loose it.
Remove the plate slowly. Look for a spring that is attached to the back side, and note how it attaches on both sides.

20151014_175200.jpg

Now use the impact to slowly drill out along the top of the key slot. Every time the bit is bound up and stops you are hitting a tumbler. Give the impact a sharp pulse to rip the tumbler out of the lock. Use your replacement core to judge how deep to drill in order to destroy all the tumblers. Now repeat on the bottom.

At this point the core should be sliding in and out of the door a little. Use a hammer and screwdriver to punch the core out the front of the door.

20151014_180211.jpg

It is pretty gross in there. The last thing you want is all those shavings jamming up the new core and then have to break into a compartment to do this all over again. Use the paper towels, screwdrivers, compressed air, blasts of WD-40, etc to get that cleaned out. Be mindful not to get shavings in the rest of the door mechanisms.

20151014_180413.jpg

Much better! Let's look at the new core:

20151014_180446.jpg

Key out:

20151014_180500.jpg

So as you can see the tumblers pop out when the key isn't in the core. This is why it is very important to have the slots in the housing totally cleaned out.
Now look at the face of the core. Mine had a little diagram showing which was the key is to be inserted. If possible match key orientation to your other compartment locks.

Spray the core and the slot in the door with WD-40. With the key in the core, insert the core into the lock. Place the locking plate spring in place, then thread onto the end of the core. Hold firmly while attaching with C-clip.

Check your work and put the door back together. Now would be a good time to tune the mechanism and possibly insulate the door with spray foam.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Nice write up Alex, but I have just one question. Why do you have peanut butter all over the inside of your door latches? :confused:

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Good write up... One point though, is that WD40 will gum up over time and wreck the lock cylinders!

Powdered Graphite, 'Lock-Ease', even '3 in 1 oil' are far better options. WD is a water displacement formula and is not intended as a lubricant.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
He's right that it's not a lubricant, but it will do the job short term. Ive never known it to get gummy honestly, it just evaporates in my experience. Maybe it depends what's already there when you spray it? I've used it with the idea that I needed something lubed, but didn't want anything left over once I got the piece in place.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Fluid Film is my prefered choice for corrosion protection for all metals and lubrication for all moving parts.

FLUID FILM is formulated from specially processed wool-wax, highly refined petroleum oils and selected agents to provide corrosion control, penetration, metal wetting and water displacement. These long lasting products contain no solvents, will not dry out and will penetrate to the base of all metals, providing corrosion protection from both natural and industrial atmospheres. Heavily corroded and/or frozen parts such as nuts, bolts, shafts, etc. that would normally be damaged during maintenance, can be salvaged by applying FLUID FILM.
http://www.fluid-film.com/products/

Fluid Film does not evaporate like WD-40 does, which is why we depend on it heavily in Florida for all marine applications and anything near the salt water. I hit all of my locks on my house, vehicles, and padlocks once a year and I'm good to go!

flightcancled

Explorer
Thanks for the advice guys! Learn something every day around here!

That peanut butter is some sort of grease that was slathered all over the mechs of all my compartment doors by MedTech. At first I had no idea ****** they were thinking, but it does actually work to keep dirt and water away that comes down from the top latch holes.... I guess.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the advice guys! Learn something every day around here!

That peanut butter is some sort of grease that was slathered all over the mechs of all my compartment doors by MedTech. At first I had no idea ****** they were thinking, but it does actually work to keep dirt and water away that comes down from the top latch holes.... I guess.

Since you're in an areas that has freezing temps, maybe it helps to keep water/moisture out so it doesn't freeze the lock mechanism.

This is from your recent post on the 'Ambulance Camper/ Expedition Rig Conversion FAQ' thread...

Looking forward I'm saving and surfing interwebs for the parts I need to build out the kitchenette over the winter, and then an outdoor BBQ tailgate-ish system over the summer.

I almost have the front of mine closed up, and will be working on the inside this winter also. As I'm researching components, I'll keep you in mind and forward anything that might interest you. How elaborate of a kitchen do you want to build? What appliances do you want installed, and what type as far as electric 12VDC or 120VAC, propane, etc?

flightcancled

Explorer
That's really the question isn't it? I haven't been able to decide yet on whether or not I will go for an oven. Sounds really nice, but adds a lot of complication to the build in terms of space. The other question is do you put everything in one unit up in the front like the UTE, or do you use the left side like Belefonte. Seems like I would be giving up most of what I have gained building a galley up front.

The other big thing I have to decide on is my fridge. I have lived out of a bar fridge which is basically like the ARB style units. I think they are pretty tedious, you never get what you want without pulling everything out and then cramming it back in. I am looking at the TruckFridge units right now since they open kitchen style, and have a profile better suited for what I am planning. Somewhere I sketched my two options out during the winter. I have to find those drawings and take a good look at them again.

I am not planning to be near the grid on trips. Because of that I am planning a 12v fridge, propane for cooking, and a vent so I don't kill myself before dessert. One reason I like the idea of having the cook top in the front corner is I can build the fan into the compartment door up there, rather than going through the roof which I am trying to avoid completely during the build.

Of course the other thing you see a lot is a microwave. That could be a solution rather than having an oven, however I would have to start the engine and run it off my inverter.

cjken

Explorer
How big is your inverter Alex?
I was disappointed that mine would not run my keurig coffee maker.
Any chance you will do a generator?

flightcancled

Explorer
I would have to look, but I think it said 1500 on it or something. It's never failed to run any of my power tools.

I have been eyeing an ambo locally that I think won't sell, but I may be able to snag the generator from. Personally I would so much rather idle the engine and run an inverter, so much less hassle when you consider the install, space lost, weight, and having to carry extra fuel if you can't find a diesel one.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Alex,

It sounds like our kitchen requirements are similar. The majority of my cooking, and especially any frying or anything messy will be done outside, but in case of really bad weather, I still want the ability to at least heat something up inside.

I’m planning on a sink with a 4.2 gal water heater, pump and fresh water tank, size undetermined yet; a small installed microwave; and a portable (not installed) Induction Cooktop/hotplate; and a small Keurig coffee maker, all of which will run on 120VAC, except for the Sure Flow pump which will be 12VDC.

Outside, I’m planning on a stainless Magma Marine Propane Grill which I already have, and a stainless Partner Steel Two Burner Propane Stove . If I can find one of the one-man loading ambulance stretchers, I’m going to remove the mattress, head rest, etc. and add a flat surface on which a long box/cabinet will be built, with the grill on one end and the stove on the other, Both will be mounted on slide-outs. The center will be drawers for plates, cups, utensils, etc. It will also have some LED lighting. There will be a full length side door/panel that will fold down and make a countertop, which will probably be covered in stainless for protection and ease of cleaning.

Since, mine is a camper trailer, no one will be riding in it while it’s moving, and I don’t need the room to carry large sports equipment (except maybe a bicycle which can be carried outside), so cargo room inside is not too critical and I also have the back of my F250 tow vehicle which has an A.R.E. camper shell on it. By using the left side stretcher mounts near the wall, there will still be room to walk between the stretcher and the crew bench/bed when it’s loaded. Once I get to my campsite, I’ll just pull it out, drop the legs and wheels, and roll it around against the right side behind the wheel well. The right rear compartment is the perfect size on mine to hold two 20 lb. propane cylinders sitting in milk crates, with a little extra room for hoses, regulators, etc. I’ll plumb some propane lines and quick connect fittings through the floor so I can just plug the portable kitchen in, along with a 12VDC cord for the lighting. That way I’ll be under the roll out canopy out of the weather, and no mess to clean up inside.

Upright refrigerators have the advantage of easy access to the items inside, but at the same time lot of space above the items is wasted. Also, every time you open the door the cold air spills out the bottom, and is replaced by hot air at the top. It’s a little harder to get to individual items in a chest types refrigerator, but they are more efficient and take up a little less space. Also, keep in mind most refrigerators running on propane (if you go that route) must be kept perfectly level, or the unit will be damaged.

I’m looking at an Engel Fridge Freezer, similar to this one mounted on slide-outs in the bottom of the right front compartment, which also opens to the outside. AmboVan uses the same brand and has his mounted the same way. He said he has run his for over five days straight and hardly put a dent in his house batteries, but he has solar panels on top also.

Just some ideas I have rolling around in my head, but maybe they will help you a little. We don’t have much wilderness around me anymore, and since mine is a camper trailer, most of my camping will be in areas with hookups or short weekend trips off grid.

Ken,

I’m going to be mounting two ultra-quiet Honda EU2000i generators on slide-outs in a box on the tongue of mine, along with a 12 gal. auxiliary gas tank. One will handle most situations, but in the hot summer with the AC going along with other things running, I’ll run them both in parallel for a total of 4,000 peak watts @ 30Amps.

guidolyons

Addicted to Gear Oil
That's really the question isn't it? I haven't been able to decide yet on whether or not I will go for an oven. Sounds really nice, but adds a lot of complication to the build in terms of space. The other question is do you put everything in one unit up in the front like the UTE, or do you use the left side like Belefonte. Seems like I would be giving up most of what I have gained building a galley up front.

The other big thing I have to decide on is my fridge. I have lived out of a bar fridge which is basically like the ARB style units. I think they are pretty tedious, you never get what you want without pulling everything out and then cramming it back in. I am looking at the TruckFridge units right now since they open kitchen style, and have a profile better suited for what I am planning. Somewhere I sketched my two options out during the winter. I have to find those drawings and take a good look at them again.

I am not planning to be near the grid on trips. Because of that I am planning a 12v fridge, propane for cooking, and a vent so I don't kill myself before dessert. One reason I like the idea of having the cook top in the front corner is I can build the fan into the compartment door up there, rather than going through the roof which I am trying to avoid completely during the build.

Of course the other thing you see a lot is a microwave. That could be a solution rather than having an oven, however I would have to start the engine and run it off my inverter.

You could always look for one of the smaller convection oven/microwave combos (yes, it would suck more power, but typical microwave or convection cooking is pretty quick)

For fridge options, which ever you decide on, make sure that it has a real compressor, not one of those peltier thermoelectric units. A lot of the cheaper 12v coolers don't have a compressor and can only cool ~30-40* below ambient temp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior