Boreas Campers EOS12

DFNDER, I love that L-Track idea. I might be stealing that one. We have some hanging clothing storage as well but have just been limited to hanging them from the roof safety hooks. Can you message me with any details to know about that L-Track install?

I'm also with you DFNDER about the portable solar panels. I think I would get more benefit from portable panels chasing the sun then an extra 500W on my roof likely being partially shaded throughout the day. So far we aren't very power hungry. After a 6 day trip our 400Ah and 500W of solar only dropped us down to 70%.

Chasingopenspaces, is your wall cargo net riveted to the wall?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
We also go with parking in the shade in the summer, we have two 100w portable solar panels but haven’t been out long enough to need them yet.

No rivets, sort of in the R&D phase right now, planning on using for light items. I didn’t want to rivet, I can see one of my kids grabbing and pulling with just enough strength to rip rivets out and damaging the wall…

DFNDER

I also found a great solution for the rain that gets between the awning and the trailer. Velcro rain gutter material made just for this. Putting some Velcro tape on the metal frame alongside the awning and then just lay the material so it overlaps the awning. Dry kitchen and entryway now.

rehammer81

I also found a great solution for the rain that gets between the awning and the trailer. Velcro rain gutter material made just for this. Putting some Velcro tape on the metal frame alongside the awning and then just lay the material so it overlaps the awning. Dry kitchen and entryway now.
Pictures and materials list please.

jchasse

How are you guys using portable panels to charge the house batteries? Meaning how are they connected to your electrical system?

rehammer81

How are you guys using portable panels to charge the house batteries? Meaning how are they connected to your electrical system?
In my case the Zamp input port is not wired to the solar controller like the roof panels but directly to battery bank. Therefore when I get portable panels I will need to get panels with integrated solar controllers.

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

In my case the Zamp input port is not wired to the solar controller like the roof panels but directly to battery bank. Therefore when I get portable panels I will need to get panels with integrated solar controllers.

My Trail Marker was designed without any fixed panels so we run the non regulated zamp obdesian portables wired with heavier gadge wires that connect to a furion plug (more robust then zamp plug in). Then to a Victron MMPT charger controller. Not sure how this would work if you already have fixed panels hooked into a charger controller. I can ask my solar guy.

I’m tempted to re-route the zamp port to the charge controller. Looks pretty straightforward, but wondering if the factory doesn’t do this for a specific reason?

rehammer81

You would probably bust the 30 amp limit depending on how the top 500 watters are wired (series/parallel).
This is I believe the real issue. It depends on your solar controllers rated limits at max solar production.

I have 500W of solar on the roof with a 50/100 Victron MPPT. If they are producing a minimum 13.6V then that would mean 36.7A input current theoretically. 600W of solar would drive that up to almost 45A input current theoretically. I'm not a solar expert but I think most panels produce higher voltages at max exposure so theoretically input current would go down and maybe I could route the portable panel (200W) into my controller.

It looks to me that my roof panels are running directly into the solar controller so I would need to figure out how to combine the roof inputs and portable input before connecting to the MPPT controller.

I will say that I have not seen my panels come close to producing their theoretical max even sitting out in the wide open sun. I don't think the sun angle is ever typically optimal.

PhatPanda

Oh ya you are right on the 50amp, got that confused with the Orion DC DC 30 amp. It would have to be very cold temps to get close to the max, I wonder if the wiring diagram in our manuals would help track down what is what.
This is I believe the real issue. It depends on your solar controllers rated limits at max solar production.

I have 500W of solar on the roof with a 50/100 Victron MPPT. If they are producing a minimum 13.6V then that would mean 36.7A input current theoretically. 600W of solar would drive that up to almost 45A input current theoretically. I'm not a solar expert but I think most panels produce higher voltages at max exposure so theoretically input current would go down and maybe I could route the portable panel (200W) into my controller.

It looks to me that my roof panels are running directly into the solar controller so I would need to figure out how to combine the roof inputs and portable input before connecting to the MPPT controller.

I will say that I have not seen my panels come close to producing their theoretical max even sitting out in the wide open sun. I don't think the sun angle is ever typically optimal.

I only have 300W on the roof, but have minimal solar knowledge so might take it in to the shop and see what they think. It would be nice to have it come through the victron that way the amps would register on the smart shunt, etc. I imagine the zamp inputs could just be spliced in in parallel assuming max amperage wouldn’t be exceeded

DFNDER

I have a couple of acopower 120 portables that came with their own controllers and feed them through the Zamp plug. Easy peasy.

Planning on a week long beach camping trip this December. EOS owners, how have you prepared your rigs for a campsite with no hookups? I’m thinking Home Depot bucket under the sink, but don’t know where I would empty it. Into shower drain is a possibility but will make the floor gross. Into the cassette and I’ll be emptying that cassette every other day. Maybe dump the bucket in the camp toilet? I wish there was a way to transfer easily into the grey tank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior