Boreas Campers EOS12

We have had success with the 3M adhesive that you use to attach hooks, for a few cargo nets in our EOS. More than enough to support some jackets and clothes . We might eventually screw/bolt them in but it’s been hassle free so far and we can move them if we don’t like the configuration down the road.

I Have also had to re-drill the extra bed support leg drill holes. I filled the old holes with epoxy resin and then drilled through that after it hardened and haven’t had an issue since.

jml248

Anyone had any success with using tension rods? Leery of drilling into anything and since it's still new I really don't want to stick stuff up yet (I'm sure that will change!). Need to take some measurements and actually go poke around in the camper, but thinking this might be an okay fix to temporarily hang clothes, coats -- stuff that we need easy access to without digging through the storage.

Took it out for a winter camping test run before New Years, and one of the challenges (as with any camper really) is where to strip off wet outdoor gear and hang it to dry without tracking snow/mud (we have both in New York, right now at the same time!) all over the camper.

It's two adults, one kid and one dog.

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

Anyone had any success with using tension rods? Leery of drilling into anything and since it's still new I really don't want to stick stuff up yet (I'm sure that will change!). Need to take some measurements and actually go poke around in the camper, but thinking this might be an okay fix to temporarily hang clothes, coats -- stuff that we need easy access to without digging through the storage.

Took it out for a winter camping test run before New Years, and one of the challenges (as with any camper really) is where to strip off wet outdoor gear and hang it to dry without tracking snow/mud (we have both in New York, right now at the same time!) all over the camper.

It's two adults, one kid and one dog.

Maybe step into wet bath?

I have tried cheap shower curtain rods and they suck. Maybe more quality sea sucker knock offs might work.

jml248

Maybe step into wet bath?

I have tried cheap shower curtain rods and they suck. Maybe more quality sea sucker knock offs might work.
Yeah that definitely may be an option for when we are winterized, was actually also thinking about hanging a rod in there -- as its an out of the way location.

The ocd part of me hates the thought of putting all the mud in the nice clean shower area. At some point, what I am going to do is get some sort of bathmat/entry mat to act as an initial collector of mud/moisture.

Haven't gotten enough snow down here at the lower elevations to really test it out in the snow which is a bit of a bummer.

rehammer81

We took a trip to the Kofa Wildlife Refuge this past weekend with our EOS-12. Towed the rig into an awesome campsite on a 4/10 onX rated trail. Past our campsite probably would have gotten a bit too tight and twisty for our full length rig (Ram 2500 Power Wagon and EOS-12) but the section we navigated had some fairly tight corners, steep dips through washes, off cambered segments, and a couple rocky steps. The trailer handled everything beautifully but did take on some minor AZ pinstriping to match the tow vehicle.

My actual biggest issue is my drop hitch on those steep dips. I'm thinking of ways to get a bit more trailer and hitch coupler height to reduce the hitch drop. I'm pretty sure some 255/85/R17 (34.1"x10") would fit the EOS-12. That would give just over an extra inch of height. Then wondering if the D035 could potentially be mounted on top of a spacer plate for a bit more hitch height. That could probably buy me a couple more inches of hitch clearance. My truck runs on 37" tires so is pretty tall. I'm currently running a 6" drop hitch. Getting to a 4" drop would be nice.

We got hit with a storm Saturday evening with some solid wind and the trailer was rock solid. Really didn't feel it moving around much and the canvas walls were mostly tight and quiet all night.

Also, let me recommend an extreme luxury piece of camping kit I am loving. I was looking for a propane campfire solution that actually provided heat when you need it like a real campfire. Most propane units just send all their heat straight up. You would need some sort of heat deflector. A real campfire has radiant heat off the glowing coals that provides much of the warmth and enjoyment when sitting around a fire. This is even an issue with campfires like a Solo Stove, hence their offering a heat deflector. With the often occurrence of fire bans in the SW where we camp, having an open fire is often not an option. Even when it is, you have to carry or scavenge your wood to burn and technically bringing non-local wood or scavenging isn't always allowed in certain areas. Enter the Howl Campfire I stumbled upon. Make no mistake, this thing is an expensive luxury. At first I thought there was no way I'd pay for this thing. Upon further searching and reading reviews though, there is nothing else like it that solves the issues I mentioned for a propane fire solution. I decided to roll the dice and pull the trigger and we love it! This thing cranks the radiant heat when you need it and gives of a very nice ambient flame to enjoy. If you don't need the radiant heat you can shut that part off and just enjoy the adjustable ambient flame. If you just want the radiant heat and no ambient flame to enjoy a nice dark star filled sky, you have that option too. It is super easy to light. We really enjoy the ease of lighting it for a morning fire with coffee too. I never wanted to hassle getting a morning fire started before. Anyway, I am not affiliated with Howl in any way. I just really like the product and wanted to spread the word. It also is cool looking. :) Do some searching on it if you are interested and send me a message if you have questions.
d8f130e864e1d6245005344fb8f7f709.jpg
85315430464f537acd9aad35a2d9b189.jpg
cfaff0400c14b64d08eddf2a765bd132.jpg
56b442c7482544b92a8f80a6bad7edf6.jpg
d1b1b9a7c77f910dcdb48078fc73341b.jpg
0437936c1687c724b02735a46377a6d1.jpg

Last edited:

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

We took a trip to the Kofa Wildlife Refuge this past weekend with our EOS-12. Towed the rig into an awesome campsite on a 4/10 onX rated trail. Past our campsite probably would have gotten a bit too tight and twisty for our full length rig (Ram 2500 Power Wagon and EOS-12) but the section we navigated had some fairly tight corners, steep dips through washes, off cambered segments, and a couple rocky steps. The trailer handled everything beautifully but did take on some minor AZ pinstriping to match the tow vehicle.

My actual biggest issue is my drop hitch on those steep dips. I'm thinking of ways to get a bit more trailer and hitch coupler height to reduce the hitch drop. I'm pretty sure some 255/85/R17 (34.1"x10") would fit the EOS-12. That would give just over an extra inch of height. Then wondering if the D035 could potentially be mounted on top of a spacer plate for a bit more hitch height. That could probably buy me a couple more inches of hitch clearance. My truck runs on 37" tires so is pretty tall. I'm currently running a 6" drop hitch. Getting to a 4" drop would be nice.

We got hit with a storm Saturday evening with some solid wind and the trailer was rock solid. Really didn't feel it moving around much and the canvas walls were mostly tight and quiet all night.

Also, let me recommend an extreme luxury piece of camping kit I am loving. I was looking for a propane campfire solution that actually provided heat when you need it like a real campfire. Most propane units just send all their heat straight up. You would need some sort of heat deflector. A real campfire has radiant heat off the glowing coals that provides much of the warmth and enjoyment when sitting around a fire. This is even an issue with campfires like a Solo Stove, hence their offering a heat deflector. With the often occurrence of fire bans in the SW where we camp, having an open fire is often not an option. Even when it is, you have to carry or scavenge your wood to burn and technically bringing non-local wood or scavenging isn't always allowed in certain areas. Enter the Howl Campfire I stumbled upon. Make no mistake, this thing is an expensive luxury. At first I thought there was no way I'd pay for this thing. Upon further searching and reading reviews though, there is nothing else like it that solves the issues I mentioned for a propane fire solution. I decided to roll the dice and pull the trigger and we love it! This thing cranks the radiant heat when you need it and gives of a very nice ambient flame to enjoy. If you don't need the radiant heat you can shut that part off and just enjoy the adjustable ambient flame. If you just want the radiant heat and no ambient flame to enjoy a nice dark star filled sky, you have that option too. It is super easy to light. We really enjoy the ease of lighting it for a morning fire with coffee too. I never wanted to hassle getting a morning fire started before. Anyway, I am not affiliated with Howl in any way. I just really like the product and wanted to spread the word. It also is cool looking. :) Do some searching on it if you are interested and send me a message if you have questions.
d8f130e864e1d6245005344fb8f7f709.jpg
85315430464f537acd9aad35a2d9b189.jpg
56b442c7482544b92a8f80a6bad7edf6.jpg
d1b1b9a7c77f910dcdb48078fc73341b.jpg
0437936c1687c724b02735a46377a6d1.jpg

Hey Rehammer looks like a fun trip. Here is a pic of my set up with ARK Articulating ball hitch. The standard receiver tube is welded ontop of the tounge A frame plus one can flip the hitch up or down to adjust to different ride heights. Not sure if this would work on a CM hitch and or the sloping tounge on your Boreas. By changing things up are you going to be dead nuts level. One thing I really love about my Lexus GX 460 is the auto leveling air shocks.

I have a lava box but it doesn't put out a ton of heat. I will check this on out.

Attachments

• 20240327_083754.jpg
    20240327_083754.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 9

rehammer81

The D035 bolts to a flat plate between the tongue frame rails. Seems like adding a bolted down block spacer would work fine to raise coupler height since I can only get so much additional tire lift. Limiting factor on raising it up on a solid block is at extreme pitch angles, when will the hitch make contact with the underside of the tongue. Whatever that angle is, is it even realistic on the trail?

I'm currently running a 6" drop hitch although the hitch pin actually has a 1" base on it so it is actually 5" of drop for the trailer tongue to be level. So, if I could get an inch+ out of some taller tires and then put 1-1.5" spacer block under the D035, I could probably raise things up 2-3". Then a 4" drop hitch would be good enough. Would be nice to get to a 2" drop. Very unlikely to get to no drop.

I looked at the Lava Box. It makes big flames if you want it to but all that heat is just going straight up. You can legit sit around the Howl and it will heat you up and push you back to cool off.

70b71e141cb28eb0270773a73f98dd56.jpg
aa7cd532d3070031493992ee7d7798d9.jpg

Last edited:

ruadhrigh

Oh man I have been trying to ignore these for a while. Read some good reviews and overall I think it would work out great for us, but man that entry fee is steep. Couple quick questions for you:

Propane usage: review says it uses a lot of fuel, how much fuel do you think you went through? How many nights of use?

Storage: seems like a bulky item to store, how did you manage that

rehammer81

Oh man I have been trying to ignore these for a while. Read some good reviews and overall I think it would work out great for us, but man that entry fee is steep. Couple quick questions for you:

Propane usage: review says it uses a lot of fuel, how much fuel do you think you went through? How many nights of use?

Storage: seems like a bulky item to store, how did you manage that
Storage wise it isn't small but I just carry it in the trailer. It's clean. No residual ash or fire rock dust. I carry the propane tank in the back of the truck strapped down. I could also use the trailers propane tanks but then I would have to keep taking the trailer regulator on/off. It's no bigger than the Solo Stove and wood I was carrying.

Fuel usage will depend on if you are cranking both the Barcoals (radiant tubes) and the A-Flame. The Barcoals are on/off but the A-Flame is variable. I typically run the A-Flame at 50% or less and it is plenty of flame for the ambiance. My best firsthand experience was we went about 13 hours we estimated at the 24 Hours In The Old Pueblo mountain bike race with the Barcoals cranking and the A-Flame 50% or less. That was on a freshly filled 20lb propane tank, not a Blue Rhino trade in that is purposely underfilled.

The entry price is definitely steep. There is nothing else like it though. It gives you that propane fire solution for convenience and burn ban approval with actual heat. I wasn't willing at first but the more I researched and thought about it, the more I started leaning towards buy once, cry once. All the reviews were very positive.

I should start a new thread wherever appropriate on here instead of hijacking this one.

Started a new thread here: https://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/howl-campfire.243576/

Last edited:

ruadhrigh

Storage wise it isn't small but I just carry it in the trailer. It's clean. No residual ash or fire rock dust. I carry the propane tank in the back of the truck strapped down. I could also use the trailers propane tanks but then I would have to keep taking the trailer regulator on/off. It's no bigger than the Solo Stove and wood I was carrying.

Fuel usage will depend on if you are cranking both the Barcoals (radiant tubes) and the A-Flame. The Barcoals are on/off but the A-Flame is variable. I typically run the A-Flame at 50% or less and it is plenty of flame for the ambiance. My best firsthand experience was we went about 13 hours we estimated at the 24 Hours In The Old Pueblo mountain bike race with the Barcoals cranking and the A-Flame 50% or less. That was on a freshly filled 20lb propane tank, not a Blue Rhino trade in that is purposely underfilled.

The entry price is definitely steep. There is nothing else like it though. It gives you that propane fire solution for convenience and burn ban approval with actual heat. I wasn't willing at first but the more I researched and thought about it, the more I started leaning towards buy once, cry once. All the reviews were very positive.

I should start a new thread wherever appropriate on here instead of hijacking this one.

Started a new thread here: https://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/howl-campfire.243576/
cheers man thanks for starting a thread, 13hrs is pretty solid duration.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior