bought our truck, starting a huge new build!

Jfet

Adventurer
Just curious, why steel instead of aluminum?

1) Easier to weld (don't have to purchase spool gun)

2) Cheaper (aluminum 2x to 4x more expensive for similar strength)

3) Better thermal isolation (I can use smaller cross sections and have more insulation foam between me and the metal)

4) Lower thermal conductivity

5) Aluminum welds destroy the stength of the aluminum near the weld

6) Better durability in rough vibration environments (steel yield range blah blah blah)

jhrodd

Adventurer
600 to 620 pounds depending on how much diagonal bracing I add.

That would be great. I sold the wrecker bed off my FG to a guy in BC and took the tunnel box/light bar down to the scrap yard (it was pretty rusty underneath) guess what it weighed ? Just the tunnel box and light bar weighed a whopping 840 lbs. No wonder I had a hard time lifting it onto the truck bed :)

197F9B68-C7C0-4CB2-AC33-C0FA291DE028-1339-000000A705B5DD1E.jpg

Jfet

Adventurer
Cut and welded up the base this weekend. Ready to put on the belly wrap if I can figure out what to use...

Frame is 2 inches high, 11 feet long, 8 feet 4 inches wide, flat and exact to 1/64"

baseframe.jpg

Jfet

Adventurer
We have made some progress on the frame. Here is a recent picture although I have added more triangulation bracing since this was taken. In the photo I am testing to see if 5mm Okoume mahagony marine plywood will bend around the 20 inch radius nose of the camper (it does).

I am still undecided about how to finish the roof and would love any suggestions where to look for examples. The roof will be two layers of the marine plywood cold molded to each other and sikaflexed and screwed to the 1x1 0.072 steel tube joists. There will be 2 inches of R10 rigid foam board under the plywood between the 1x1s. The inside ceiling will be 1/4 luan against the foam. I want to do something to the outside of the marine plywood (TPO, EPDM, aluminum, Skittles?) The roof should have no holes since there are no vents or anything, so I want a one piece something, glued to the plywood and preferably wrapped a inch or two down the sides.

frame31113bend.jpg

frame31113side.jpg

fluffyprinceton

Adventurer
I want to do something to the outside of the marine plywood (TPO, EPDM, aluminum, Skittles?)

Whatever you do seal the ply with epoxy...Which I assume you will use (thickened) to bond the two layers.

A 6oz or maybe 4oz layer of fiberglass sheathing bonded with epoxy would be good - very common approach on boat cabins & hulls - not too hard to finish nicely as the weave fills easily with faring bog (easily sanded epoxy/filler mix. If painted with two part LP it's as durable as gel coat.

I've bonded alu sheet to epoxy sealed ply with sika successfully - it would be heavy & how do you deal with the corners? Maybe sika angle alu for the corners but that curved part will be a challenge. Great thing about this approach is NO Sanding...Sika makes a 291 LOP (Long Open Time) which I strongly suggest for all your sika bonding, the regular stuff sets up too fast for what you're doing. To get the alu to lay down nicely on the ply is the challenge and generally you only get one shot at it as the alu sheet often distorts if you try & pull it off to reposition. You can lay it down oversize & router off the excess...The curved part will bond great but the flats will need lots of evenly distributed weight & cleverness to avoid screws - I'd think screws on the edges where you have to hide the joint anyway would be a given - you might plan on roof racks/solar/vents/lights on the roof to give you a place to resort to screws...If you gently pound on the sheet as it goes down that helps the sika to flow & bond.

Why 1/4 luan on the inside? Okume is nicer & 3/16 (5mm) would be fine if you bond it to the foam...

Great build & thanks for sharing. Moe

jacki666

Nice scale work jfet ..I like you dimension work on the truck that's type of knowledge is i want which have some logic to understand..Can you tell me the height between the tire and rim?

Jfet

Adventurer
Nice scale work jfet ..I like you dimension work on the truck that's type of knowledge is i want which have some logic to understand..Can you tell me the height between the tire and rim?

height between the tire and rim???

I am not really updating this thread as I have moved over to RV.Net in the truck camper section. They have a lot more traffic and a good knowledge of truck camper type stuff. I like expeditionportal too, but maintaining two threads is time consuming. Here is the link: http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/26735683.cfm

A teaser, here is the completed frame with the roof being installed (will paint the frame after the roof is on...will have to mask the area where I will be sikaflexing the aluminum siding).

fullframe.jpg

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
A teaser, here is the completed frame with the roof being installed (will paint the frame after the roof is on...will have to mask the area where I will be sikaflexing the aluminum siding).
View attachment 156275

From my experience with a commercial box (a Marathon 14' on a Fuso FG) the front upper corners are spots that seem to be a target.

My box has cast aluminum bumper corners there and man are they strong. I hit the upper deck of my house (it extends over my garage) with my box at a pretty good clip and there was no damage to the box at all. The beams for the deck are 6"x14" so they had no give. You might want to reinforce that area, prior to skinning, or maybe cap after skinning for some extra strength.

Jfet

Adventurer
Just a quick CAD model, dimensionally accurate in important places, of what our final build should look like when both the main living pod and garage pod are finished.

crudegarage3.jpg

crudegarage4.jpg

Attachments

• crudeview3.jpg
    crudeview3.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 21

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
So far it looks brilliant me! Though you may not continue to update this thread, I wish you well and look forward to trying to read as much as I can.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan