Bowen NotSoFlat Bed Revisited

eyemgh

I had a thread up about this, but it was before Brent actually announced he'd be doing a full size option. I pulled it in order not to get the cart ahead of the horse. Well it's official now. You can see it below. It will allow a slide in at standard bed height, but with external boxes. It's not a flatbed per se, but rather a bed replacement. I don't believe anyone else out there is doing this.

tacollie

Glamper
Looks sweet. But I guess it should for the money. I'm picking up a welder from my brother to start mine next weekend. I'm guessing the Bowen will seem a lot cheaper once I start building mine?

I already have $3400 in aluminum and another $500 in miscellaneous stuff. I already own a biggish tig welder($4k) and I'm borrowing a big multi process welder ($10k setup). Nevermind the labor hours. That's before I build a bumper. Once you factor all that the Bowen doesn't look so expensive?

eyemgh

Looks sweet. But I guess it should for the money. I'm picking up a welder from my brother to start mine next weekend. I'm guessing the Bowen will seem a lot cheaper once I start building mine?

I already have $3400 in aluminum and another $500 in miscellaneous stuff. I already own a biggish tig welder($4k) and I'm borrowing a big multi process welder ($10k setup). Nevermind the labor hours. That's before I build a bumper. Once you factor all that the Bowen doesn't look so expensive?

When you start looking at other custom builders like Highway Products and Sherptek, both well over $20K, Bowen is actually a pretty good deal.

eyemgh

Nice option. So do they all have a doghouse/crossbox in the front, "8' stock box, 9' camper bed" ?

Looking forward to seeing yours !

No, that’s an either/or option that depends on your camper size and wheelbase. I was conflicted, but I prioritized the 148” wheelbase over extra outside storage. The rig will be more agile, but it creates an issue trying to carry two spares. Nothing is perfect.;)

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Considering the markets right now, and the $10k in just materials it took to build mine.
Id say the Bowen is likely a great deal.

Still, I much prefer an actual flatbed. Far more utility.
And careful in some of the nanny states.
ANY non-standard bed may push you into a registration mess.

50343562841_7b180f1fd7_b.jpg

eyemgh

Considering the markets right now, and the $10k in just materials it took to build mine.
Id say the Bowen is likely a great deal.

Still, I much prefer an actual flatbed. Far more utility.
And careful in some of the nanny states.
ANY non-standard bed may push you into a registration mess.

50343562841_7b180f1fd7_b.jpg

I like flatbeds with campers designed for them, but for us in particular, the upper boxes were very important. That’s where we’ll carry skis in the winter. Our outdoor kitchen will live there in the summer. That doesn’t lend itself well to a flatbed unless you fab your own camper. I’ve got no skills. I’m jealous of people who can do what you’ve done!

eyemgh

The truck headed off to CO on Saturday! I learned some interesting details discussing the build with Brent today. The most intriguing thing though was that the bed height of new Super Duty trucks is actually lower than standard. As a result, slide in camper owners are having to shim them with plywood in order to get the cab over section to clear the cab. Brent figured this into his build so we’ll be able to drop the Hallmark right in. Getting close!

tacollie

Glamper
The truck headed off to CO on Saturday! I learned some interesting details discussing the build with Brent today. The most intriguing thing though was that the bed height of new Super Duty trucks is actually lower than standard. As a result, slide in camper owners are having to shim them with plywood in order to get the cab over section to clear the cab. Brent figured this into his build so we’ll be able to drop the Hallmark right in. Getting close!
The Ford cabs are super tall. Our hawk only has an inch of clearance in the factory bed. I finally started building our bed. The joke has been that it only has the last long enough for us to save up for the Bowen ?.

outdoornate65

Adventurer
Hey there, any chance you have pictures? you are in a FWC, right??

eyemgh

No. That’s what I’m moving from. Hallmark now. Look up the Stormtrooper on Truck Camper Adventure’s Instagram feed. I’ll post pics when I’m home.

eyemgh

Were you in the Hallmark Camper display at Expo?

I was, in the one we affectionately call the Stormtrooper. That originated from my choice to not do a black bed and stylistic collaboration with Brent via text that ended in a dancing Stormtrooper GIF.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior