Bowen NotSoFlat Bed Revisited

eyemgh

Ahh - that would make more sense to bolt the anchors through the flatbed and even to the frame

It‘s very camper dependent. Where the mounting parts are, don’t necessarily correspond to the frame. On mine there are 4 doors inside the upper boxes. The allow access to the head of the bolts. Underneath, those bolts go through to nuts welded to 1/4” 4x6” plates. It’s very secure.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
This is just L-Track for when there's no camper in the bed. The L-Track allows you to quickly strap down whatever's in the bed. I'm sure they use some beefy bolts to actually mount the flatbed/boxes to the truck frame (my HPI setup does).

eyemgh

This is just L-Track for when there's no camper in the bed. The L-Track allows you to quickly strap down whatever's in the bed. I'm sure they use some beefy bolts to actually mount the flatbed/boxes to the truck frame (my HPI setup does).

It has that function. According to Brent though, the primary purpose of the L track is to beef up the structure for attaching to the frame.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
It has that function. According to Brent though, the primary purpose of the L track is to beef up the structure for attaching to the frame.

Hmm, doesn't make sense to me. Fasteners for attaching L-track to a vehicle are ~M8 size or so as this is the diameter of the holes in the L-track(often pre-drilled in the track rails); not very beefy at all. And L-track is just aluminum--I'd think he'd use more steel for beefing up structure where it's needed, as in when attaching a load-bearing bed to a steel truck frame.

Would be interested to hear more details from them on this.

eyemgh

Hmm, doesn't make sense to me. Fasteners for attaching L-track to a vehicle are ~M8 size or so as this is the diameter of the holes in the L-track(often pre-drilled in the track rails); not very beefy at all. And L-track is just aluminum--I'd think he'd use more steel for beefing up structure where it's needed, as in when attaching a load-bearing bed to a steel truck frame.

Would be interested to hear more details from them on this.

Good question for Brent. Maybe I misremembered.

tacollie

Glamper
I talked to Brent on Sunday. He did say some customers use it to attach their campers to the truck. It's not what I would do but depending on the fastener used and the weight the camper it should be fine. I crawled under all three trucks at the show. I don't see how the l track adds any integrity to their beds. They're definitely overbuilt in my opinion.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I talked to Brent on Sunday. He did say some customers use it to attach their campers to the truck. It's not what I would do but depending on the fastener used and the weight the camper it should be fine. I crawled under all three trucks at the show. I don't see how the l track adds any integrity to their beds. They're definitely overbuilt in my opinion.

Using L-track to attach a camper? Wow, a bit shocking. Most campers aren't light enough for me to believe that's a safe choice (many people are even afraid to attach seats to L-track, even though the mobility industry use L-track to secure wheelchairs). YMMV

tacollie

Glamper
Using L-track to attach a camper? Wow, a bit shocking. Most campers aren't light enough for me to believe that's a safe choice (many people are even afraid to attach seats to L-track, even though the mobility industry use L-track to secure wheelchairs). YMMV
It's pretty crazy but it has a working load limit of 2800 lb with double stud fittings. It's not what I would use. Honestly it can't be any worse than the turnbuckles on my FWC ?

eyemgh

It's pretty crazy but it has a working load limit of 2800 lb with double stud fittings. It's not what I would use. Honestly it can't be any worse than the turnbuckles on my FWC ?

My FWC turnbuckles were the worst! ? I ended up putting in super thick zip ties because they loosened after driving a block.

I missed the CO show. Hallmark ended up not getting a booth. Brent invited me, but I did the Lost Coast with my son instead. ?

Attachments

• 247D3479-DDDF-476D-A56E-8E03057E6221.jpeg
    247D3479-DDDF-476D-A56E-8E03057E6221.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 53
  • 797DDC89-9017-4004-8EA6-3DF1CAFFEC41.jpeg
    797DDC89-9017-4004-8EA6-3DF1CAFFEC41.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 59

tacollie

Glamper
I missed the CO show. Hallmark ended up not getting a booth. Brent invited me, but I did the Lost Coast with my son instead. ?
We were bummed Hallmark didn't have a booth. A Milner was at the top of the list to replace our FWC shell but I think it got bummed by OEV Camp-x. It would have been cool to see your truck and chat but you definitely made the right choice.

eyemgh

We were bummed Hallmark didn't have a booth. A Milner was at the top of the list to replace our FWC shell but I think it got bummed by OEV Camp-x. It would have been cool to see your truck and chat but you definitely made the right choice.

I really like OEV. The porta potty was a deal breaker though. If you’re looking Milner, they don‘t have that option, so the Camp-X is solid competition.

eyemgh

Thanks for the reference. Do you know of others with similar quality?
Nope. Bowen and Sherptek are the only ones i know of that offer beds at standard bed height. Of those two, I much prefer how Bowen accomplishes it. It's patent pending, so no one can copy it either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior