Box Rocket Homemade trailer build.

Box Rocket

Thanks. I have the lid frame completed. It's built from 1" square tubing. I need to snap a couple photos before I get the skin on it. It's roughly 9" tall with a 5" vertical side and a 45* angle up to the flat top. Now I'm debating having the skin bend with aluminum or just skinning it with the same 16-18ga sheet metal that the tub uses. Obviously the aluminum will be lighter but also a bit more costly. Once I get that sorted out I'll have a good idea of the weight and can source some appropriate gas struts.

Box Rocket

well, 5 months after starting the lid frame I have it mostly completed. I still need to finish the new rack for the tent over the next couple days before heading to Moab on the weekend to demo Tepui tents. Overall, I'm glad to finally have a lid on the trailer for better security and protection from the elements. The lid is on the heavy side since it's all steel but shouldn't be an issue once I get the right gas struts. Also there are some imperfections in the sheetmetal work which is to be expected when I don't have a sheet metal break but it will still work fine.
The one disappointment was the paint. I had some custom paint mixed to match the paintcode on the cruiser. I had the same place mix some for me a few months back when I painted the body of the trailer and it came out correct. But this paint for the lid was not even close. You can see the difference in the second photo. I need to take this photo in and see if they will remix it for me. I'll do some cleanup on the lid and respray it later since I'm pressed for time for this weekend.
Photo of the framed lid.

Bad paint match

I'll get some finished photos in the next couple days.

Box Rocket

Couple of grainy iphone photos of the completed lid. I'll be building the tent rack tonight. I am still waiting on gas struts and the weather stripping, but it's getting close.

Box Rocket

I was working Saturday in Moab for Jeep Safari but was able to make a little detour on the way down there on Friday. My 15 yr old son, Bjornn was with me so he did some driving and I took some pics since it was a beautiful afternoon.

b63215b

Adventurer
What made you decide to change your design and wanted to let you know your design is what I modeled mine after sorta bummed you changed it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Box Rocket

What made you decide to change your design and wanted to let you know your design is what I modeled mine after sorta bummed you changed it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
The previous design worked great, but I've always wanted a lid to have better security and protection from the elements. The bins that I use inside the trailer would not have fit properly with a lid on the old design because it would have been too low. But the main reason was because I just didn't need the adjustability any more. When I built the adjustable rack I only had one RTT and I needed the adjustability to use the annex. Once I had two tents the one with the annex was moved to the roof of the truck and that meant the one on the trailer didn't need to be on an adjustable rack any more. So it just made sense to not use the old rack and build the lid to the specs I needed.
But....it did work well, and I'm glad it gave you some ideas for your own. Hopefully it's working as well for you as it did for me. Thanks for the compliment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12