Box Rocket Homemade trailer build.

b63215b

Adventurer
The previous design worked great, but I've always wanted a lid to have better security and protection from the elements. The bins that I use inside the trailer would not have fit properly with a lid on the old design because it would have been too low. But the main reason was because I just didn't need the adjustability any more. When I built the adjustable rack I only had one RTT and I needed the adjustability to use the annex. Once I had two tents the one with the annex was moved to the roof of the truck and that meant the one on the trailer didn't need to be on an adjustable rack any more. So it just made sense to not use the old rack and build the lid to the specs I needed.
But....it did work well, and I'm glad it gave you some ideas for your own. Hopefully it's working as well for you as it did for me. Thanks for the compliment.
Makes sense with the new RTT on the truck. Isn't it crazy that once you get done building you're never satisfied and want to change it more and more often?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Box Rocket

Makes sense with the new RTT on the truck. Isn't it crazy that once you get done building you're never satisfied and want to change it more and more often?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Yeah, hopefully not many changes in the future. It's pretty well set up for my needs now. The trailer still has the female sides of the rack and I think I'll be using a part of the rack for an awning. It will be nice to still have that adjustability with the awning.

toymaster

Explorer
https://www.facebook.com/groups/offroadtrailers/

offroadtrailergroup.com <-- It redirects to the facebook group above. Found a better view of the sticker on a different picture.

Thank you.

Yeah, found the facebook page but was hoping for an actual website. I'm not a tech guy per say, just been doing this since the mid 90's, but a .com address usually indicates a domain or at least a website. A facebook link with a .com in it is a little misleading.

Caretaker

Caretaker
I pretty much joined this forum just to follow this build thread. Absolutely amazing. If you don't mind me asking, what do you think you spent on the trailer itself? As in building the frame, box, lid, axle, etc.? Thanks a ton.

Box Rocket

I pretty much joined this forum just to follow this build thread. Absolutely amazing. If you don't mind me asking, what do you think you spent on the trailer itself? As in building the frame, box, lid, axle, etc.? Thanks a ton.

Wow! Thanks for the compliment!
At its current state, I estimate I have ~$2000 invested into the trailer build, not including the tent. I'm also using used tires and secondhand wheels I purchased on the cheap.

djaraceandrally

Adventuring somewhere...
Just spent a fair amount of time reading through this. Its been said before, but what a great thread. Currently just starting out on my Sankey conversion and although it eventually will be a different end format (more of a off road box trailer) the details, evident skills and enthusiasm has given me a whole bunch of new ideas to consider. Thank you for taking the time out to share your journey with us. Total inspiration

Last edited:

Box Rocket

Just spent a fair amount of time reading through this. Its been said before, but what a great thread. Currently just starting out on my Sankey conversion and although it eventually will be a different end format (more of a off road box trailer) the details, evident skills and enthusiasm has given me a whole bunch of new ideas to consider. Thank you for taking the time out to share your journey with us. Total inspiration
Thank you! I'll keep my eyes open for your build.

Mlewis7

Box Rocket! This build is amazing. What end fittings are you using on your gas struts and are those homemade brackets that you welded - or did they come with the struts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12