"Bruce" the 2014 Jeep JKUR Build Thread

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Bruce finally got some big boy tires. I decided to go with the 35x12.5r17 BFG AT KO2s for a host of reasons thoroughly discussed in previous posts. I'm glad I did. The size seems about perfect for my AEV 3.5 SC suspension. My Jeep always tends to be a little lower than others with the same lift (aka heavy), so the size looks right. I'm still probably going to add a 1/2" spacer in the rear to leave it out a bit.

A big thanks to ZigsRig for sending me the longer tire carrier adjustment bolt needed to install the OEM wheel on the AEV tire carrier.

I ended up getting America's Tires to agree to install them on the OEM wheels for the price 4Wheel Parts quoted me a several months ago before the price hike on this tire.

So far so good. The ride seems smoother and quieter but also jostles me around more. Maybe due to the E-rated sidewalls. I'll have to drop the tire pressure further until the sidewall breaks in some. I'm running 30psi right now. Going to try 28 or so. Seems like I cut my shovel a little too short for the new tires.

Also finally got 2 of the 3 bumper panels installed. The PS corner is too bent to stay in. I'll have to order a replacement.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

View attachment 362336

Hey man where did you get the new bolt for the tire carrier? I just got 35's and rubicon wheels and Im having an issue on installing the spare. Thanks!

MagicMtnDan

2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition & 2021 F350 6.7L
Looks great - love the color.

Keep an eye on the wear on the new KO2's as I've read a number of complaints about mileage/life of these compared to the previous version which would typically and easily get to 40,000 miles.

I'm looking at buying 37" KO2's for my Jeep.

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
Haven't updated in awhile. If you follow me on Instagram (@brucetherubicon) you probably already know what I've been up to.

WHAT I'VE BEEN UP TO:

My friend and I headed up to the Kern Plateau one more time to check out the fall colors in mid October and try our hand at some fly fishing, and do some exploring. We drove to the end of Monache Meadow, set up camp, then hiked into the wilderness. We didn't catch anything. But the scenery was beautiful. The next morning we took another trail as far as we could toward a peak we spotted off in the distance. We bush-wacked our way to it following deer trails and climbed it. We spotted a good climbing spot that we'll have to come back to in the spring. The Jeep did an admiral job getting us to the end of the trail with no drama and even providing a little top down/heater on driving through the meadows. We were glad for the propane fire pit since the temps dropped into the high 30s at night.

It was nice to use the Jeep as a tool to access even more remote backcountry adventures, than just as adventure itself. Since this trip, my friend decided he missed his Land Rover, turned in his Acura and bought an Xterra. So hopefully, we'll get to do even more of these types of trips in the future, including getting back to Baja to rock climb and surf fish.

32314586672_5ca6a9654d_z.jpg

32314377892_1e48a75366_z.jpg

31623591424_86600407c8_z.jpg

32344437021_9fa3638222_z.jpg

32345433341_a177a330b9_z.jpg

32344427671_bd8d0751cd_z.jpg

In early November, all the work-stars aligned, so my wife and I took an impromptu trip to London during the election.

32426729456_beb76b7da4_z.jpg

My in-laws came to stay with us over the holidays. So we got busy redoing our kitchen, dining room and patio before they arrived. MY wife got new kitchen appliances and I got a new Primo Grill (BGE's American Made competitor) out of the deal. Since her family likes to make me go deer hunting with them, I got my payback by taking my father and brother-in-law to Mojave road to give them a taste of what I do. We went to the lava tubes and some of the old mines, then headed down Afton Canyon to check out spooky canyon, the sand dunes, etc.

31654126813_a71d3f27be_z.jpg

I swapped out the ARB clone-lights for a 22" 120w single row LED lightbar. The Clone were bright but too concentrated. This combo beam throws out more usable light, while being more low profile.

31654124423_8d998f6585_z.jpg

31622417564_95c8623605_z.jpg

The newish AEV 3.5 suspension with a 1/2" rear spacer handled the weight of 3x 200lb men and an 80lb dog plus recovery gear and some emergency spares very well without sagging at all.

This was right after the crazy rain, so the Mojave River was higher than usual. Crossing it resulted in a steaming engine, and what sounded like gear whine. But the whine matched the RPMs even when sitting still in neutral. So far the dealership has replaced the water pump and alternator under warranty. But the noise still persists. The Jeep is going back for another look as well as a new driver's side door seal (leaks in the rain).

Last edited:

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
With the holidays over, and my main work client not getting back to us about what they want for the year, I've had time to start catching up on maintenance. Changed diff and T-case fluids, cleaned the air filter, added dielectric grease to all the plugs and fuses, and repaired my 3rd brake light. I replaced the drawer slides in my tuffy drawer with stronger ryadon slides.

New vs Old
31655411933_7cbc7c3417_z.jpg

I have several big trips coming up in the first half of the year including running the Rubicon, a 5-day Baja "expedition" to find a new route to an oasis, and a 9-day, 2000mi (300 dirt) Mexican Hat to Moab, Utah trip coming up. The Rubicon is a grueling rock crawling trail. Baja will subject the Jeep to lots of harsh vibrations and unknown conditions. And the Utah trip will do a lot of both since the route includes several difficult trails including Elephant Hill, Lockhart Basin, Cottonwood Canyon, and Kane Creek, and 7 days without service.

Considering the demanding conditions, I've started going over the Jeep with a fine toothed comb to prepare. I'm making my way through my maintenance list, as well as reinforcing sloppier mods like replacing the spliced fog light wires with soldered deutsch connectors. I think my ball joints and unit bearings will be fine. I'll re-evaluate them after these trips.

I've also made a list of necessary spare parts and started collecting them. I'm trying to use as many free/cheap OEM parts as possible. In keeping with the brinksmanship, "as stock as possible, as modified as necessary" mantra of my built, my idea is to control where the weakest link is in the driveline. I'd rather blow a cheap U-joint or a trail-repairable axle-shaft, then destroy a ring and pinion. So I picked up a set of OEM Dana 44 axle shafts, drive shafts and tie rod with only 2k miles on them. I plan to swap in these newer front axle shafts and drive shafts (while upgrading the driveshaft U-joint for a waterproof JE Reel Ujoint and keeping my current ones as spares.I hear that the rear axle shafts are plenty strong, and my front drive shaft is pretty well protected. So I'm keeping those for the future. But I'll bring an extra rear driveshft and the front axle shafts to Utah and the Rubicon as spares.

32345859941_660f11c2fb_z.jpg

With the build in its final stages, I only have a few mods planned for the upcoming trips:
1st up is something I should have done before crossing the Mojave river again: extended breather lines. I relocated my rear diff breather when installing the AEV 3.5 + 1/2" lift in the rear. But I've had a recurring issue with the front diff breather popping off under full flex. So now all the breather lines are getting extended up to windshield height including the T-case and transmission

2nd up, speaking of the T-case, I plan to upgrade the T-case linkage to Advanced Adapters HD linkage. Their linkage eliminates those pesky plastic bushings. I've yet to break one, and I'd like to keep it that way. It seems to be about as much work to upgrade the linkage as it is to replace the bushing. Plus, I've always found the T-case hard to shift even when following the instructions to a T. Hopefully, this will help. I really wish someone sold a synchronized T-case that lets you shift to low-range on the fly like the one in the Mercedes G-class

3rd up is the Mopar Bir Brake Kit. The JKUR brakes were mediocre before adding weight and running 35s. Now, they're barely adequate. The brakes should be improved before I add any more weight. The dealership replaced the rear brakes last service, but I plan to install the Mopar big brake kit on the front, as well as the lower mileage axle shafts, and new water proof axle seals.

4th, after seeing Jake from NMBR's floor storage system, I realized I could further refine my cargo system. Right now, I fold down the 40% rear seat and strap my fridge to the top of it. But I plan to remove the 40% rear seat and turn the dead space and weight of the folded seat into a storage container to hold all my spare fluids and larger tools and spare parts. Right now, these live in an action packer that gets thrown in the footwell. So this should help free up some more space.

Lastly, this might not happen for Utah since I'll be solo, but definitely for Baja, I want to install an easily removable/lightweight roof rack (leaning toward the Maximus 3 mounts and Rhino Rack commercial bars, but also considering the short Pioneer Platform or LabRak's new platform), that doesn't interfere with my Sunrider for Hard top, to mount a Maggiolina or Columbus roof top tent. I've already maximized the use of our interior space, but space is still limited. I'm also growing tired of sleeping on less than flat ground with crazy wind flapping my tent all night. The roof top tent would allow us to get all of our bedding and pillows (the real interior space suckers) out of the cabin, while allowing faster camp set up and a nicer place to sleep. I'm not sure if this will be a benefit or an issue, but our dog would have to sleep in the back seat of the Jeep, which is fine by me. She likes to wake everyone up in the middle of the night by smacking her lips and scratching. I'm just hoping she doesn't bark or whine knowing we're above her. At home she sleeps just outside our bedroom door. So I'm hoping it's a similar situation.

Last edited:

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Nice update. Great to read you are getting out and having fun. :beer:

On shifting into low range, I've found it goes very smooth and easy if I come to almost a complete stop (below 1mph). No grinding, or hard shift. It's about the same as going from 2 to 4-Hi.
Following the owners manual recommendation was a harsh grinding affair. I'm wondering if it wasn't written for the standard T-Case, instead of the 4:1 Rubi case.

This "almost complete stop" is the same way I shift the Dana 300 that has the Teralow 4:1 kit installed, and it's smooth as butter. :)

Hth,

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Great update.

Rubicon is currently under ~20' of snow, so it might make for an interesting year for both Rubicon and Fordyce.

Jack

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Did a great snow run over the Rubicon one Memorial day weekend. Crazy fun, and crazy cold. :beer:

Didn't break anything until after climbing up Cadillac Hill. Then one of the CJs had a rear axle failure. It was the only mechanical for the whole weekend, with four rigs chained up.
The whole trip was like driving through a post card... that someone crumpled up, and twisted, and stuck in the freezer. ;)

If you've done the Rubicon, then done it again at night, a snow trip is well worth the effort to complete the trifecta. :)

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
Did a great snow run over the Rubicon one Memorial day weekend. Crazy fun, and crazy cold. :beer:

Didn't break anything until after climbing up Cadillac Hill. Then one of the CJs had a rear axle failure. It was the only mechanical for the whole weekend, with four rigs chained up.
The whole trip was like driving through a post card... that someone crumpled up, and twisted, and stuck in the freezer. ;)

If you've done the Rubicon, then done it again at night, a snow trip is well worth the effort to complete the trifecta. :)

Haha, I'm working on that first notch in the belt. But I know if I notch the side of the Jeep, my wife isn't going to be too supportive. I was hoping to go late summer after most of the groups had gone through and made it easier. Also wanted to go with a couple of 80-series land cruiser guys since they're slightly less capable and one of them is the spotter I trust most. He's gotten me through some gnarly stuff unscathed in the past.

CaseyB

enjoyed tearing through this thread.

Currently have a rubicon on order and am just passing the time by reading other peoples builds. I like that you kept it simple. Thanks for sharing it all

I made the mistake in the past of getting out of control with mods in a diesel truck. The faster I went, the more stuff i broke. Got real expense. now I have to practically give it away. (my asking price is what I paid for the aftermarket trans :eek:

9a87994071145fe949ea92c597f09354.jpg

This pic is making me second guess my interior color choice. anvil? looks good with the tan. I chose rhino and was uncertain how the tan would look, so i went with black seats. My obvious hesitation was because them black seats are gonna get real hot.

Lord Al Sorna

Harebrained Scheming
Just got caught up a little on your build... Nice work! Squeaky clean and functional. Looking fly on 35's and I like what you have done with the rear (my favorite mod is the umbrealla...) Looks like you are using hear a lot for her intended purpose. If your headed out to UT this year and want another JK in your group PM me!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12