"Bruce" the 2014 Jeep JKUR Build Thread

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
enjoyed tearing through this thread.

Currently have a rubicon on order and am just passing the time by reading other peoples builds. I like that you kept it simple. Thanks for sharing it all

I made the mistake in the past of getting out of control with mods in a diesel truck. The faster I went, the more stuff i broke. Got real expense. now I have to practically give it away. (my asking price is what I paid for the aftermarket trans :eek:

9a87994071145fe949ea92c597f09354.jpg

This pic is making me second guess my interior color choice. anvil? looks good with the tan. I chose rhino and was uncertain how the tan would look, so i went with black seats. My obvious hesitation was because them black seats are gonna get real hot.

Thanks for reading. I loved the mix of a tan interior with charcoal grey in toyotas, so I was trying to copy that. Also thought they'd show dust less.

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
Just got caught up a little on your build... Nice work! Squeaky clean and functional. Looking fly on 35's and I like what you have done with the rear (my favorite mod is the umbrealla...) Looks like you are using hear a lot for her intended purpose. If your headed out to UT this year and want another JK in your group PM me!

I've been meaning to PM you about that.

Yeah I've been trying to keep it relatively stock. Or within the limits of the stock parts so I can continue using near-free OEM replacement parts. I learned my lesson on the 100-series. It's very expensive to reverse engineer a truck into something isn't supposed to be. This one is probably more capable than I need. If only it could carry more weight...

Last edited:

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
The hardest trail I'd run with the new 3.5/4" lift and 35" BFG KO2s was Sherman Pass solo, which Funtreks recently downgraded to a moderate difficulty trail. So I figured it was time to see what the limits of this set up actually are. I headed down to Corral Canyon OHV and Anza Borrego with some "real Jeepers" to find the limits on Sidewinder and Pinyon Mountain.

I was really impressed with how the AT tires and 3.5" lift handled the technical terrain. Was able to follow a 5" lifted JKU on 37s and a fearless XJ. I did almost take out my rear corner panel on a super tight S-turn through truck high, vertical rock walls. I was happy that I only scratched a free-to-replace rear fender. I'm considering installing some color-matched AEV rear corner guards to prevent this in the future. I don't mind scratching armor or paint, but I really don't want body damage on a $40,000 truck.

Also considering regearing to 4.56. The 4.10s with 35s are great for daily driving and okay on mountain passes. But I miss the responsiveness of the 4.10s with 32" tires and want the option of running 37" KO2s and moving to the AEV 4.5 lift this summer to run some more technical trails (Swamp Lake, Dusy Ershim, etc).

32498820063_ed2765ca42_z.jpg

33313264405_1e577595d4_z.jpg

32498821883_83eb84734e_z.jpg

32470405224_2e6f945d04_z.jpg

33272459886_7f971b3347_z.jpg

33157852692_d132e61c65_z.jpg

32470440624_dce35e05ca_z.jpg

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
Must be a visual effect or a muddy road on the wheels.. But I love the tan look of the rubicon wheels..

Me too! It's mud on the PS wheels. There was a big big just before the first pic. I'm considering plastidipping them tan like that. I'm sure my wife wouldn't appreciate the safari-aesthetics as much.

I was going to buy Quadratec's new slickrock beadlocks but they cancelled production on them and the Mopar look alikes and the new AEVs are too expensive. If I jump to 37s, I'll probably go with the Quadratec's black and silver version of my stock wheels with the correct width and backspacing.

33198565601_fc02fab521_z.jpg

Last edited:

jeffe

Observer
Your build is absolutely perfect. Not overly complicated or overdone. You have great taste integrated with functionality! Love the look of the mud on the wheels. Keep the photos coming!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
Your build is absolutely perfect. Not overly complicated or overdone. You have great taste integrated with functionality! Love the look of the mud on the wheels. Keep the photos coming!!

Thanks Jeff. That was always my intention: As stock as possible as modified as necessary. And I'm one of the few people that quite like the stock look vs wanting to modify everything.

The build will follow that mantra but I'm not sure which direction to take it. If the new JL looks lame, I'll probably keep this truck long term and continue modifying it at the expense of daily drive-ability. But the build is either going to address some cargo needs as it's used more for overlanding and other adventure activities like mt.biking and fishing. Or it'll get more clearance so I can run more technical high sierra trails this summer. Either way, it's getting that Mopar Big brake kit when it comes back in stock. Too many bad drivers in West LA to not have the best braking performance. Plus, the 4:1 transfer case nearly overpowers the brakes in low range.

I'm either going to complete my American Entdecker build and install a roof rack to support an Authome Maggiolina. Or I'm going to switch to the AEV 4.5 lift, 37" KO2s, install color matched AEV rear corner guards and regear to 4.56. The factory 4.10 gearing and 35s is great for daily driving but leaves a little to be desired on the many mountain grades out here. I live at the beach, so everywhere I go is uphill. 4.56 should restore the gear ratio to what it was with the stock 32" tires, while also allowing me to run small 37s (BFG KO2 37x12.5x17 is only 35.5" diameter and weighs 3lbs more than my 35s) with improved performance. 4.88 gears make more sense for 37s but not if I ever go back to 35s.

An extra inch or two of clearance would be nice on spots like this where you're scraping your gas tank.

33326603545_93d6cfd59a_z.jpg

33171448062_e7dfbc952f_z.jpg

32512403953_afb8c34f94_z.jpg

32944116850_bd193f72f4_z.jpg

Last edited:

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Before going to all the expense of 37"tires (and all the mods to support them), it might be worth considering an aluminum skid plate for the fuel tank.

At that point, dragging bottom isn't such a concern. :)

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
Before going to all the expense of 37"tires (and all the mods to support them), it might be worth considering an aluminum skid plate for the fuel tank.

At that point, dragging bottom isn't such a concern. :)

I don't mine scraping, but I'd rather not if I don't have to ;) I need to replace the OEM skid on that and the evap cannister soon. I've still yet to hit the evap can. But the gas tank is taking a beating.

Modding for 37s is a whole other issue. I was going to do the big brake kit, regear, and the Synergy sector shaft/steering box brace for the 35s anyway. For 37s, I'd get new, wider wheels, which should weigh less than the OEM wheels + spacers. And I'll switch to the taller AEV lift, but selling the 3.5 springs should counter most of that cost. The real unaddressed issue is the power steering. I'm not sure how much of a difference there really is since the tires are the same width and similar weights. But the light 35s are already taking their toll on the oem steering box. The dealership found metal shavings in the power steering fluid and swapped it. So at least I have a fresh pump and box.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Hydraulic assist for the steering would be a big help.
PSC has a kit for the JK. Thought I read they have a heavy duty replacement steer box... but that may just be wishful thinking on my part.

In any case, it sounds like you have a good plan to get there. :beer:

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
Hydraulic assist for the steering would be a big help.
PSC has a kit for the JK. Thought I read they have a heavy duty replacement steer box... but that may just be wishful thinking on my part.

In any case, it sounds like you have a good plan to get there. :beer:

Yeah they do have a heavy duty power steering box. I think it's not cheap though. Gotta kill another stock one first. It'll really just depend on how long I plan to keep this jeep. With the JL pickup at least 3 years away, it's looking like I'll have this jeep for awhile. Might become my dedicated 4x4 truck.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Evap canister relocation.

Hard to go wrong with the JKU Rubicon. :)

I hammered out the dents a couple of times on the stock fuel tank skid plate before installing aluminum armor. Wished I'd have put the skid plate on before hand, as hammering things out stretched the metal a bit. Made installing the skid a bit more work. lol

Something to consider is relocating the Evap canister. I did this, and am very happy with how it came out.
Now that whole area can be used for a water/air tank. If I remember right, without hanging below the frame and with room for a skid plate to protect it, it was about 20 gallons total by building a custom shape to maximize use of the area.

Attachments

• Room-for-oba-air-tank.jpg
    Room-for-oba-air-tank.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 43
  • evap-relocated.jpg
    evap-relocated.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 39

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
Found a good deal on craigslist and finally decided to pull the trigger on replacing the carpet with something that won't retain as much dog hair. Pulled all the carpet, cleaned out all the dust and gravel under the carpeting and installed a full set of BedRug's BedTred. It's a bedliner-like rubber on the top side and carpeted on the underside. It's supposed to help dampen noise, be easier to clean and mold-proof. But mostly, I just want it to trap less dog hair. Cleaning out the dog hair was near impossible with the stock carpeting.

We'll see how it works. The fit is pretty good but some spots didn't lay out perfectly. There's a gap under the driver seat.

33077286170_17ecb0e67d_z.jpg

33332465901_4b82d0a1d8_z.jpg

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
That looks really great! :beer:
Does this do the rear passenger floor and bed as well?

My last Shepherd, and current Shepherd were/are long haired hippies. I'm so far past trying to get rid of the hair. Any more I just put down the top, open the windows and drive down the highway for about 20 minutes, with goggles on. :elkgrin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online